| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How old were you when you started playing, and in what year?
Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 10:03 am    

I started playing in about 1947 when I was 14 with the Honolulu Conservatory of Music in Oakland, CA. Still love it.

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 1:36 pm    

I started with a Fender Stringmaster double-eight in 1976 at the age of 21. My first pedal steel came a year later, a Fender 400.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 9:28 pm    

I started on 6 string lap in 1964 (at age 24). I had already been playing guitar for 8 years.
Didn't like the lap steel much - actually I was hopeless on it. Still can't bar slant.
Bought a Maverick in 1978 and could finally find the chords I wanted. Hooked ever since.
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 1:28 am    

1995 or 96, I was 49 or 50. Started on a borrowed Fender student model--the Winston book came with it. Eventually the guy I borrowed it from moved away and I never saw him again. His was the only psg I had ever actually seen up to that point, and it must have been the only one within a 50 mile radius.
God had given me some degree of musical ability and I'd always loved the sound of steel guitars, so one day, after some kind of "inner-child-experience" I decided I must learn to play this mysterious thing, what ever it was. Enter-the guy with the Fender. Somebody up there was with me Exclamation Smile
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 3:14 am    

In '91, age 37. Thanks to Scotty's book, which had some tunes in it that I didn't like, but were great for learning.

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 1:14 pm    

Hi,

I started pedal steel at age 14 (1974)... A year or two prior I messed a bit with several different lap steels.

Robert
Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 3:02 pm    

1981 aged 28. A blonde sho bud 3x1.
Got me the winnie book and straight into red river valley
Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 3:36 pm    

1976 at age 22 with a MSA Sidekick.
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2013 11:04 pm    

Pedal Steel in 1973. I was 19.

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 5:35 am    

The year was 1972 and I was 23.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 8:46 am    

I was 15 in 1946 and began my steel career by installing a steel-nut on a decrepit $5.00 standard guitar.

67 years later, I should be playing better, but, I'm not.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 5:57 pm    

I picked up 6 string at 17 in 1973, mandolin at 18, in 1974 and lap steel in 1986 when I was 30. I feel an affinity with all string instruments. I dearly love the steel but if you told me I'd spend the rest of my life on a desert island with just one instrument I'd take an acoustic Spanish guitar.

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2013 6:19 pm    

Andy Volk wrote:
...if you told me I'd spend the rest of my life on a desert island with just one instrument I'd take an acoustic Spanish guitar.

I'd need to know whether this desert island has electricity or not... Wink
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 7:17 pm    

1960, I was 8 years old, and started taking lessons on a 6-string black Epiphone lap steel that my Dad had always wanted to learn to play. Got my double-8 Fender about 2 years later and went through several teachers. Unfortunatly, none of them played pedal guitar nor did they teach me anything but to play from sheet music. I quit playing at 16 cuz I just couldn't get "that sound."

Fast forward to about 1976 when I heard John Call's steel on a jukebox. Bought a Maverick and Sho-Bud's first book, and started playing in bands in a few months. My second band was playing some Texas swing, so enter my Pro II. After several years of having some fun in several bands, I quit again in 1986 to start college. (I was semi-disabled and needed some type of training so I could get back to work. Being a starving artist actually turned out to be a type of physical therapy for me, and I was ready to try to make it again in the real world.) So my Bud's been sitting in the closet for 26 years til last year, and I'm now trying to get reaquainted with her. It's tough cuz I have little energy after working all day. But, I'm going back to the basics and trying to learn theory (finally) so runs and progressions won't be so elusive this time around. Looking forward to semi-retirement next year so I'll have more time for pedal pushin'! I really want to learn to play this beast!

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 9:50 am    

I was 17 the year was 1973. I should be so much better than I am. I still have no idea what I am doing. But I am having fun!!!!

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 12:38 pm    

August 20th, 1986. I was 15 and my first pedal steel was a 1976 Shobud LDG.
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 1:22 pm     Beginner

19 yrs young in 1974...still a Beginner and still not comfortable being called a Musician. I prefer Musical Equipment Owner. Winking
Wayne Morton

Tishomingo, Okla
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 2:25 pm    

1973. I was 21, & I'm still learning 40 years later.

Modesto, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 4:44 pm    

When I was 8 I started trying to play a 6 string lap steel tuned to open E but never pursued it. At 16 I started playing 6 string electric guitar and after years of badgering from a friend to take up PSG I started trying to learn at the ripe old age of 50. Instantly I found out too late that it is more addicting than gambling, booze, or tobacco. Since there are no recovery programs for PSG addicts 17 years later I'm hard core and still learning and having the time of my life. Needless to say the 6 string electric has had to settle for a distant "Second Fiddle".

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2013 1:49 pm    

Got my steel in February 2012 just before my 63rd birthday. I'm having a ball learning on it about an hour to an hour and a half a day, and when I start actually playing it I'll update this post. I estimate somewhere about age 90! Laughing
Greely Baggett

Moore, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2013 1:29 am     How old were you when you started playing

I was 4 years old when I started playing a guitar; 1959. I never looked back; or even around for that matter. I was 20 years old when I started playing Pedal Steel Guitar; 1975. I was in the Marines back then; playing out on the weekends whenever I could. I use to practice in the barracks to this Buck Owens "Live at Carnegie Hall" LP. LoL! I started with a Sho-Bud. Later on, after being discharged from the Marines, I moved on to an Emmons. After playing several other's, I eventually ended-up playing a Mullen. I just bought my last Mullen pedal steel recently from Mike Mantey at the Mullen Factory. I sent him a picture of me and he added it to the Mullen family of players. I started on pedal steel back in 1975. If I could get a 20 Year Pin from America's Honky Tonk Bar Association, I'd be proudly wearing it! LoL!
Jason Walker

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 2:54 am    

Started age 19, in 1988 with a red Teisco 6-string lap steel and muddled along with that until 1997, at 28, when I bought my first pedal steel - an MSA Classic 10-string 3+4. Still bashing along, now with a D-10 Carter. In between, I've owned 2 Carter-Starters and a Sho-Bud Professional D-10.

Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 7:20 am    

I had just turned 50 when I actually for the first time saw a PSG IRL. I bought my first steel and started to play some 6 months later, still at 50 (in 2011). Smile Since then my pocketbook has had some serious dents...

At the same time my mind, eyes and ears opened up to traditional Country Music (some 40-50 years late!). So now I´m trying to listen to, read about, and play all the lovely songs made in the 60´s and 70´s. Talk about being too soon old - too late smart... Sad

/Sven
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 9:20 am    

VFW, Cordell, Oklahoma, 1948, while still in high-school.

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2013 9:28 am    

1960, 10 yrs old Smile