| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:09 am    

Yeah you got it Stuart, Sidestep Traditionalism and save us from "going off the fiscal steel guitar Cliff"
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:11 am    

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:23 am    

Stuart,

Thanks for the good thoughts associated with this forum and it's exchanges among the membership. Life as we know it, is full of surprises. We don't know what lies ahead of us as we face each new day. With excellent recall, many pleasant memories reoccur throughout a lifetime; while countless experiences are forgotten, leaving not a trace rememberance of hundreds of occurances that were important at the time that they took place. Many persons, places, and things are difficult to contend with. Musically, the pedal steel guitar has earned the "reputation" of arresting the overzealous confidence of individuals who make light of the thought of becoming knowledgeable players. Throw in a bickering, contentious personality, who manages to be focused upon, through a proclivity to become argumentative, and musical progressiveness is slowed to a crawl.
Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:29 am    

You Know I read all of Bill Hankey's threads and if the guys that are complaining about Bill don't have to read what bill has to say. I have Known Bill Hankey for about 14 years and just listen to what he has to say and you can tell the man is intelligent. Don't try to out fox this Older Fox. notice I said older Fox. We are not old just getting older. Also Jim Casey is a good friend as is Doug Beumier.Bill make a lot of sense to me maybe you guys that complain do not have the education he has.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:34 am    

I think it's too late to try to sidestep traditionalism.
The steel guitar brotherhood has already taken over and imposed the Californiafate upon us and we are now all under Steel Guitar Forum law.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:45 am    

Stuart you think maybe b0b might be trying to impose a One World Steel Guitar Forum on us here?
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:51 am    

No b0bs not that smart. Laughing
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 11:09 am    

Mr. White,Sir you are right,By his post you can tell Mr. Hankey is VERY intelligent as yourself,in fact he's an intellectual phenomenon,It seems he and some of his esteemed and prestigious scholars such as yourself should give some of us old ignorant illiterate country boys that violate your approved patterns of speaking or writing,and lack acquaintance with the fundamentals of a particular field of knowledge by using COMMON SENSE and layman terms in [Hankey posts].It's true I may not have the education Dr. Bill has BUT I have enough common sense to know BS and hypocrisy when I see it. By that I mean Bill claims he has NEVER made a disparaging remark about a forum member that may call him out when he makes some absurd post like calling them [a bizarre kilted bagpiper, or a tree dweller that can't leave any stone unturned]By the way he's NOT the only [old fox] around,All the foxes I've had to deal with over the years were the ones that came sneeking out of the swamp to raid my chicken coop. Smile YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 12:24 pm    

Samuel E. White,

So much time has passed since you visited my "neck of the woods" (Lee, MA), with friends from the state of Rhode Island and Cape area. You can plainly see that one member in particular is a bit confused about the fox and foxiness. He writes about chicken thievery by foxes coming from the swamps. I know that a fox prefers open dry areas to romp around while hunting for their prey. As you and I grow older and take the long range view of the future of the steel guitars and players, do you find that some of the colors in the rainbow have become a bit hazier as time passes? Aging becomes synonymous with the need to move to new patterns of thoughts as amps and steel guitars begin to feel about twice as heavy as they once did 20 years ago.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 1:42 pm    

Charles you could be the poster child for BS with that I'm just an ignorant country boy from Alabama routine.
I bet if we shook you in the middle of the night and caught you off guard you would talk like the rest of us maybe even like Bill Hankey. Laughing
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 2:18 pm    

Aw shucks Stuart,I'm not even in the same league as Dr. Bill as far as BS'ING goes.He proves that continually and persistently in his every post,Like the one above you.Theres enough guana in that one post to fertilize 100 acres of rich bottom land.That's the sho-nuff truth ya'll.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 2:23 pm    

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 2:26 pm    

Barry,For some reason I can't send you a PM,But understand and got your back my friend. Very Happy Smile YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 3:15 pm    

My main concerns with "swamps", everglades, and such as a steel guitarist, are the "gators" venomous snakes, and the like. Fire ants, and poisonous spiders are among the dangers found around hot chicken roosts in the warmer climes of North America. Even a wary fox would succumb to those dangers in marshy areas. Mosquitoes and other inquisitive insects here in the north, can and do interrupt steel guitar performances in open stage setups. It's still a far cry from those slithering reptiles and chicken snakes found in the South. Weasels love chickens as a food source, so I'm told.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 3:37 pm    

Dr. Bill,The Everglades are hundreds of miles from my swamps,And I'm sure the residents of a chicken house on the edge of a swamp would have a good cackle [laugh] about your fox theory.Geez,YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 4:02 pm    

Something for my "confused" fellow forumite, Bama Smile
(I used to live outside of Mobile myself...)

The Alabama Dept of Conservation website reports:

"DISTRIBUTION: Gray foxes may be found from the Canadian border to Florida. They are found throughout the entire state of Alabama.

HABITAT: Preferred gray fox habitat includes thick brush, wooded lowlands and SWAMPS. Gray fox populations rarely thrive in more open habitat types commonly associated with their close relative, the red fox (Vulpes vulpes).
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 6:26 pm    

Jeff,How am I confused ? You say the gray foxes habitat includes thick brush,lowlands, and [SWAMPS]. EXACTLY what I have been saying,ever since someone brought up foxes in this post that started off with some babblings about traditionalism and progressive instrumentation,way back in the dark recesses of this post,I just asked Dr. Bill to explain what he meant,All I've gotten so far is comments about [rubber necking on the highway,good old foxes,being guthooked,creating erroneous assuptions.] Dr.Bill must surely be a student of confucianism ,got to admit he confuses the hell out of me sometimes. Oh Well YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:11 pm    

People who have nothing to say usually wind up saying it..
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 8:06 pm    

Bama,

I was referring to Mr. Hankey's comment:

He said "You can plainly see that one member in particular is a bit confused about the fox and foxiness. He writes about chicken thievery by foxes coming from the swamps. I know that a fox prefers open dry areas to romp around while hunting for their prey."

You're not confused at all...you know EXACTLY what you're talking about!Smile
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 6:30 am    

Jeff,

Folkloristic tales of woe spoken by BAMA in emphatic terminology, always comes through as exaggerated for the most part, as he disregards the finer details hoping to gain a semblance of credentialism to his ALABAMA SWAMP FAUNA accounts thereof feeding on his egg laying cacklers, while he practices his music as he has done for the past 50 years. I tried to picture the setting; a grey fox running with a chicken in its mouth, and BAMA'S 12 strings steel guitar drowning out all hopes of rescue. I am guessing that a foxhound has been omitted from the steel player's accounts of living near a swamp in Alabama.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 7:45 am    

Wink Wink Laughing Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 7:49 am    

Bill I was born in Alabama and folks didn't mix their hunting and fishing, each was too important.
Some of the finest front porch musicians I've ever heard.
Some of the best hunters anywhere ever.

Nobody hollered "Your too dam loud" while they were playing and nobody hollered "Tallyho" while they were hunting. Not if you didn't want to be left stranded in the swamp for as long as you could survive.

I shot a rabbit 2 feet in front of a hunting dog that was giving chase and I've been banned from Alabama for life. It was a good thing I was just a kid or I'm sure I would not have survived that incident. If I had shot the dog no matter my age you would have never been able to find my body.

I remember all those stories when I was young about city slickers, lawyers, government folks and such that were used for gater bait out in them swamps or whatever you wanted to call them.

Note I never said there were gaters or that they ever caught one with the bait.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 8:06 am    

Alabama...Theys a purty good Football team...
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 8:11 am    

Bo there are no swamps in Alabama just massive concentrations of sopping wet BS in vast areas.

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 2 Dec 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 8:58 am    

Bo Legg,

I'll never get to tour through Alabama. I'm bogged down here in New England. According to IRA and CHARLIE LOUVIN, Alabama held all that they longed for. They sang about their potatoes and corn, crimson red clover, and its hills and valleys, while hound dogs were wagging their tails. They managed to create a great sound by harmonic effects, while the steel guitarists were left out of their total sound. When they went separate ways, IRA featured steel in "THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE" recording. I became sensitive about those who excluded the pedal steel, (JOHNNY CASH) and others from their recordings. I became aware at that time, the general public was way off the mark in selecting true supporting fans of the steel guitar in conjunction with their recorded material.