| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How old were you when you started playing, and in what year?
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 6:07 pm    

24 in jan of 2000

Gordon Hartin
Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 6:49 pm    

54 in 2004
Guitar, Bass & Drums since 1964
Keyboard since 1968
From 1972-78 B-3 & Leslie in a jazz trio.

Mike
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 8:36 pm    

1951 at age 9. Dad purchased a contract for 52 lessons (one a week for a year) at Honolulu Conservatory in Flint, Mi. Lessons were classes of about 25 kids. We were given a new tabbed Hawaiian song (usually) from Oahu Publishing each week and were supposed to learn by the next lesson. Teacher was Mr. Russ Waters, a good teacher and great gentleman. A half-hour radio show on Saturday mornings gave many of Russ' students a chance to show off -- or embarrass themselves as was often the case. My first pedal guitar was a D10 "Klontz Custom" I bought about 1968 or '69.
Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2013 7:33 pm    

1975,22yrs old.ShoBud rack & barrel Pro/Fender Silverface Vibrolux & Silverface Twin Reverb followed by a REALLY old Marlen D10, Cherokee D10,new Marlen SD10(1977 or 78)Fender Single 8 string,another ShoBud Pro I,Marlen Pull/Release S10,GFI Ultra SD10,Mullen S10 wide body,2006 Rains SD10 & finally....the guitar I've wanted for years...a Black Emmons Lashley LeGrande SD10,an89 or 90 according to serial number !!!
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2013 7:59 pm    

I bought a Sho Bud Professional in 1974, I was 18 years old. I had been playing electric guitar for 8 years when I started playing PSG. I still have the Sho Bud and it still sounds great!
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 3:39 am    

33 years old in 2010.
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 5:35 am    

1953 12 yrs old.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 6:16 am    

1990 at age 41. My first steel was a BMI S10 4 and 3,Day set up because that's what Larry Petree played.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Allan Kelly

Watford, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 6:26 am    

2004 aged 53
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 7:11 am    

Started pedal steel in 1998, age 10. I played piano prior to that.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 7:43 am    

I've started trying to learn the dobro in 1939 five years before I joined the Navy during World War II, I was 12 years old at the time. I can even remember the first song I learned to play, it was Columbus stockade blues. How many of you can remember the first song you ever played?

Willie Sims
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 7:47 am    

First song? "Crazy Arms"...

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 8:50 am    

The year was 1952, a little boy of 9 years, picked the first notes of an old Gibson "F" hole guitar, and somehow picked out a song called "Ole McDonald had a farm"? His mother knew instantly that he had talent. Two years later this now 11 year old sat down with an old discarded lap steel guitar that originally was purchased by his dad to learn how to play, and could not get the hang of it, but his son played his first church song, by the name of "Just a closer walk with thee", went on to establish an unknown career of "58" years on the steel, and is still learning to play as I go until our Lord says "enough is enough" And that is how long I`ve been trying to play such a beautiful sounding instrument. "61 years", on the Spanish/Standard, and "58 years" on the Steel, both Pedal, and Lap, plus a variety of other string instruments, as well as percussion etc. Blessings to you all,,,,
Ron
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 8:51 am    

I started on an acoustic guitar at age 12 in 1962,bought a new strat in '64,later in '74 or '75 I started to learn the PSG on a Sho-Bud Maverick(Birdseye maple),the first go-'round...I now play another Sho-Bud 6139/40(1973)and I'll keep it forever!I went on to dabble with the Bass, mandolin,ukulele and another 5 string instrument which I won't mention.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Gary L Reed

Castle Rock, CO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 9:15 am     How Old?

71--Just bought an old ShoBud a few months ago and am having a ball. Has nearly made me give up the old 6 string.
Gary L Reed

Castle Rock, CO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 9:16 am     How Old?

71--Just bought an old ShoBud a few months ago and am having a ball. Has nearly made me give up the old 6 string.
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 1:06 pm    

I started playing "steel" on a flat top guitar at 10 yrs. old in 1958. Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 5 Jan 2014 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 1:18 pm    

Bought my first Maverick in 1977....I was 14....fought it for about a year then put it away for another year....pulled it back out and the rest is history....LOL
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 1:19 pm    

Bought my first Maverick in 1977....I was 14....fought it for about a year then put it away for another year....pulled it back out and the rest is history....LOL
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 1:52 pm    

Willie Sims wrote:
How many of you can remember the first song you ever played?

Willie Sims

Very first song Cal Hand taught me how to play was the Tennessee Waltz.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 5:06 pm    

42 years old-2012.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 5:39 pm    

It was 1970 and I was 18 years old. Had just started college in St. Louis, and Scotty was my first steel teacher. (That's why it's such an honor for me to be asked to play at the ISGC, even though, as it turns out, Scotty has no recollection at all of having given me lessons way back then. Hah! Smile)
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2013 7:31 pm    

I started taking lessons on a 6 string guitar in 1950, age ten. In my twenties I also played drums and bass guitar professionally. I got my first steel guitar in 1974,a Fender single neck 8,(non pedal steel). In 1976 I got a Sho-Bud Maverick. I stopped playing in 1980 because I was studying piano and I wanted to teach it in my music studio. Just couldn't put enough time in both instruments. I went back to the steel in 2010 at 69. I play a BMI S-10 4and5. A SD-10 magnum pro-select. 3and5 (carter). and a MSA D-10 Classic 8and4. This time I've been practicing a lot more. I'm loving it. Tennessee Lee.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 7:01 am     1972

Lucky enough to grow up near Scottys. Bob Breidenbach took me there when I was 13 in '72. Been hooked ever since.
My dear mother bought me a brand new Emmons D-10 in '76 as a reward for graduating high school. $1500 was a TON of dough in those days, of course. She sewed clothes for people to get the money for it.
Tab

Play nice.

They is none else.
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 8:10 am    

Aug 1994, age 19. Like many of you, I had been playing 6-string since about age 6 or 7, and bass since 10 years old.