| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 5:37 am    

You guys are like rubberneckers on the highway, unable to take your gaze away from the accident across the lanes. Everybody comes here -- by the thousands -- to bitch about Bill's posts. Say what you will, but Bill's threads are consistently the most attractive (in the strict sense of the word) of any on the Forum. You hate 'em, but you can't pull yourselves away, can you? Rolling Eyes
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2012 7:11 pm    

Quote:
...you can't pull yourselves away, can you? Rolling Eyes

It's true, Jim. Like the commercial for the "Jerry Springer Show" said... "just try to look away!" Cool
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 7:05 am    

I'm delighted to see two names in this thread that are synonymical to the steel guitar world. Their past contributions to newcomers are innumerable. They demonstrate what can actually be accomplished on the pedal steel guitar, if placed in the hands of those with musical ability and dedication. Unlike others who dwell on cow pastures and bat caves, they've gone on to become two of the best in the business of developing methodologies on the pedal steel guitar. Thanks to Doug Beaumier and Jim Cohen.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 8:12 am    

"Unlike others who dwell on cow pastures and bat caves".

Bo , Bill says “as a PSG player you're outstanding“, out standing in a cow pasture.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 8:13 am    

Stuart, Bill is finally on to you Batman.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 2:37 pm    

Bo and Stuart,

Both of you gentlemen must know that those flippant analogies were directed elsewhere. Cow pastures and bat caves have been reference points in past random postings.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 4:38 pm    

Dr. Bill,Who has mentioned Cow pastures ? Are you just assuming again. Confused YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 6:04 pm    

I'd guess that B.S, doesn't qualify for cow pasture. According to some, bulls don't hang out in cow pastures. It would take a city boy to fall for that line.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 8:23 pm    

Once again,WHO mentioned cow pastures ? Whoa! YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 9:31 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
You guys are like rubberneckers on the highway, unable to take your gaze away from the accident across the lanes. Everybody comes here -- by the thousands -- to bitch about Bill's posts. You hate 'em, but you can't pull yourselves away, can you? Rolling Eyes

I've noticed that too, Jim. The ones that ALWAYS complain about Bill's posts, are the same ones that ALWAYS respond to them. Laughing

Mitch
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 5:38 am    

Jerry Reed's recording about the "Gold mine" and the "Shaft" has become a standardized way of life in many instances. He could "pick" with the best of 'em across the board, making it easy to appreciate the quandary that he sang about. I believe it's every person's goal to be able to avoid the calamities that Jerry sang about. Most liabilities appear to be much worse than they are in terms of consequences. One method of improving one's lifestyle, would be to follow the examples set by people who "have all", and by looking very carefully at areas that push aside traditionalisms that bog down progress. Musicians are caught up many times by traditions that hinder progressiveness.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 30 Nov 2012 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 6:12 am    

Mitch,You are right on..But Knowing Bill Like I do I'm sure he is a good old Fox just reeling in the Prey. Laughing
But be carefull guys..here comes the Sheriff..
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 8:20 am    

Quote:
Jim Cohen wrote:
You guys are like rubberneckers on the highway, unable to take your gaze away from the accident across the lanes. Everybody comes here -- by the thousands -- to bitch about Bill's posts. You hate 'em, but you can't pull yourselves away, can you? Rolling Eyes

I've noticed that too, Jim. The ones that ALWAYS complain about Bill's posts, are the same ones that ALWAYS respond to them. Laughing

Mitch

It's a dirty job, fellas, but somebody's gotta do it.. Laughing
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 8:50 am    

barry,
Isn't it better to keep your hands clean??
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 10:29 am    

No, Joe, but I take my lumps right along with the rest of us here on the Forum.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 12:49 pm    

Someone's been out playing in the cow pasture again Smile
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 1:57 pm    

Your right Barry,Somebody has to do it.Seems so many are into political correctness when someone spouts silly old BS,they tend to put a flowery fragrance on it.But when someone gets called out on some absurd cock -a-mania posts,The one that calls him out is the villain.POLITICAL CORRECTNESS at it's lowest. Laughing YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 30 Nov 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 3:23 pm    

The way that I see it (this business of coping)... coping with the ups and downs of disagreements among those who are caught up in an assortment of traditions that would be trying for others is to make certain changes to hamper their schemes. This old tradition of involving others in problems that were created within their own stomping grounds, is always something to watch out for. Usually problems can be traced back to someone creating erroneous assuptions and bringing the matter up in gatherings where people have better things to consider. The pedal steel guitar is well known among most players. Most random gatherings know very little to nothing about it's construction. That is one good reason to distance oneself from RANTERS who know diddly-squat about progressive instrumentation.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 5:40 pm    

Bill’s topics are some of our favorites.
It is actually one of the main reasons we joined the forum.
We were not looking for perfect endings and poems that rhyme.
We love stories that don’t have a clear beginning, middle or end.
It leaves us the freedom to become part of the story.
We didn’t join the Forum to learn how to install a bell crank or read about folks wetting their pants when they hear “that tone”.
We enjoy Steel guitar, the forum and have a great deal of fun at it.
Bill's topics are the on going soap opera that Bo and I are willing actors in and of and wouldn't want to miss one episode.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 8:36 pm    

[Good reason to distance oneself from RANTERS who know diddly-squat about progressive instrumentation ]Dr.Bill are you now a CLAIRVOYANT ? I read an article awhile back that said someone may become clairvoyant after an alien abduction Just wondering, Whoa! YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 9:19 pm    

By the way Dr. Bill,You know I'm just a simple swamper from South Alabama,Could you please explain in layman terms[ progressive instrumentation].I have been working on something called [a three chord progression since 1955] Is that about the same thing.And thanks for the term diddely squat,brought back memories,Have'nt heard that term since I was in the third grade.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 10:29 pm    

Joe Casey wrote:
Mitch,You are right on..But Knowing Bill Like I do I'm sure he is a good old Fox just reeling in the Prey. Laughing

You nailed it. They...are...gutt-hooked! Laughing

Mitch
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2012 10:36 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
Jim Cohen wrote:

Mitch

It's a dirty job, fellas, but somebody's gotta do it.. Laughing

You're a better man than I am, Barry! Very Happy Hang in there! You're doing a fine job! Laughing

Mitch
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 6:45 am    

Progressive instrumentation: The redistribution of steel guitar licks from the top 1 percent of Steel players so everyone gets a fair shot.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2012 7:00 am    

Bo don't forget about the lowering of the teachers fees for the middle steel guitar classes.