| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Was this guitar used on Linda Ronstadt's Blue Bayou
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 8:06 am    

Dan Dugmore's beautiful ShoBud Super Pro 2 is on Bobbe's site. I'm wondering if this was the guitar he used on Blue Bayou or if he used an Emmons. Anyone know? It is a classic solo.

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:14 am    

I'm sure that the above guitar was not built until long after Blue Bayou was recorded! au
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:28 am    

No. Dan used his brown mahogony round front big bodied Pro-II. He recorded many hit songs the round front Pro-II until very recently. He now plays a Marrs/Surratt Sho-Pro. The one pictured above was his Super Pro-II. An extremely rare guitar and a collectors piece.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:41 am    

This is the guitar Dan used on all the great James Taylor hits and many other name recording artists. This guitar was built in 1984 and is one of olny seven Super Pro IIs built. This guitar was to be the Flagship of the Sho-Bud line, but was too expensive was the "Fred Grestch" cry.
Anyway, this is as good as you can get in the Sho-Bud line. A totally different guitar than any other Sho-Bud.
This is by far the top of the Sho-Bud brand, for playing or collecting.

Bobbe Seymour
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 10:25 am    

Bobbe - the pick-ups don't look to be standard ShoBud. Are they specials?
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 10:19 pm    

The guitar shown is not a Super Pro-It is an old D-8 permanent that was formerly owned by Tom Morrell-I know because I sold this guitar to Bobbe-PW
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 10:27 pm    

??????????? Looks like a Super Pro-II to me. Does not look like a Permanent at all.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2007 11:25 pm    

It has a square front, narrow pedals, and 10 strings per neck. And says "Super Pro-II" on the front.

As seen on Bobbe's website, the pickups have "Sho-Bud" on the top plate, on the side toward the bridge. With the Emmons-like appearance of the pickup, clearly a new design, at least cosmetically, for the "new model" guitar. What a shame they never got to put the model into production!

Bobbe, can you give any more details as to how the Super Pro-II differed from the Super Pro?
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 12:19 am    

Is something crazy going on here?-When I first looked at the guitar pictured at the beginning of this thread by Ken B-it was not the same guitar as the greenish color Super-Pro II on Bobbe's website-I have owned about every model of Sho-Bud ever made and I know the difference-On my computer I was looking at an old permanent that I know I once owned-It is a black D-8 with natural necks and six pedals which I sold to Bobbe a good number of years ago-now the photo is mysteriously changed to the Sho-Bud on Bobbe's website-Duh Question
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 1:36 pm    

Paul - when I posted this thread the above picture was the one that I took from Bobbe's web page. It is definitely a Super Pro 11, and is grey. He has another one for sale, an incredibly beautiful natural birdseye maple guitar.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 3:43 pm    

That IS the same guitar that's pictured on Bobbe's website.
Not getting any younger, are we, Paul???
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 10:30 pm    

Ok-My eyes were playing tricks on me-It was the Super Pro II all along
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 8:20 pm    

Ken, the pickups don't look standard? Standard what? Nothing hardly is standard on the Super-Pro II. The keyheads and pedal bar are the only things that the Super Pro II shares with the "standard" Sho-Bud production guitars.

Yes, these are the very pickups that came on the super Pro twos. All pickups had the Sho-Bud name on the top, laser cut.

Thank you for posting this Ken, it will help folks to be a little more familiar with these very unique steel guitars. Most folks know nothing about them. They are very different and wonderful. Hence the seemingly ridiculous high prices, which are really very low for what they really are.

Remeber, there were over a hundred Bigsbys built, only seven Super Pro IIs.
If there is such a thing as a Sho-Bud collector now, these should be the ones they should go after, not because they were built in a very small number, but because they are so great. Look at the name players that have used them.

The only guitar ever build with a roller in the base of the finger for one thing, this seems to be a necessary and useful feature, no wear, elemiates friction and makes pedal action very easy and a couple of other interesting advantages.

Why collect a Professional or Pro II just to collect them when over 20.000 of these "Standard" guitars were built? Most aren't original nowadays anyway. Sort of like collecting Pontiac station wagons instead of Ferrari Daytonas.

And a partridge in a pear tree,,,,,,,,,,
Bobbe
Chris Allen Burke

Signal Hill, CA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 9:01 pm    

The pedal steel used was a Sho~Bud professional 8X4 to the best of my knowledge.

CAB
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 9:11 pm    

I wonder if he even remembers, that was a long time ago. He has several guitars and still does, I'll ask him tomorrow and see,
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 11:10 pm    

The steel he used with Linda was his original big bodied round front Pro-II. I've both seen and played it. He used it up until very recently. He now plays a Sho-Pro. You can see him playing the Pro-II on Youtube in 1977. Just type in "Blue Bayou". Its plainly visible. He played the Super Pro-II shown above later with James Taylor. He also used it in the studio. Thats a VERY rare guitar. A real collectable. I'm sure that Dan would sign it if requested.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 20 Aug 2007 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 12:14 pm    

This is just plain gorgeous. The whole package is just about as good as it gets. Birds eye maple at its best. Did ShoBud ever make a more beautiful guitar? I doubt it. Why did they they make so few at the time?