| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Broken Supro Pickup Help
Charlie Vegas

Tampa Bay, FLA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2006 6:19 am    

I got a 60's Supro Console-6 not too long ago but hadn't the chance to do much with it until recently. I had just put on a set of SIT C6 strings and noticed that the string balance was off. So I pulled the cover to adjust the poles. I also pulled the metal plate to get better access to the pole heads. I then noticed that one of the previous owners had broken the heads off several. I took the strings back off and pulled the bridge plate only to find that there wasn’t much screw protruding thru the bottom.

What should I do now? Should I attempt to replace the broken/frozen pole screws myself or just send the whole bridge plate/pickup assembly out for repair?

I thinking I could pull the cover off the pickup which is held on to the back of the bridge plate by 4 tabs. I’m hoping that the coil will just lift off so I can get at the screws. I’m thinking that once the coil is removed I can soak the plate with penetrating oil and get at the screws with vice grips. Then I’d have to find some place to buy new pole screws.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2006 6:40 am    

Two words: Jason Lollar (lollarguitars.com). He knows these pickups inside and out.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2006 6:58 am    

If you are mechanical, they can be drilled out and retapped.
Charlie Vegas

Tampa Bay, FLA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 6:09 am    

Drilling and re-tapping wasn't necessary, but I did have to disassemble the pickup to get one screw removed. All the rest came out the back with a good pair of vice grips and a can of tuner cleaner/lubricant. Now I just need to find 1/2", 6-32, flat head, set screws that are magnetic.

Jason’s backlog is about 3 months and I didn’t want to lose the steel for that long.
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 12:03 pm    

Do the screws themselves need to be magnetic, or are they tapped into a magnetic base. If the base is magnetic, the screws may have become magnetized as a result of being in contact with the magnetic base for all those years.
Charlie Vegas

Tampa Bay, FLA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 5:28 pm    

I think we’re talking semantics. The screws don’t need to be magnets, but need to be magnetic materials like iron or steel.