| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Manny Escobar playing in Webster MA.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 3:28 pm    

Manny Escobar is playing in Webster Ma Sunday 8-19-07 from 4:00PM to 8:00PM. Anna anI might just get to go and see him play that great Home made Steel he plays.
Sam White
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2007 9:54 pm     gig in Webster

A home made steel with a curved fret board and a piano-like tuning.How unconventional is that? Hi Sam. If you do come to Webster American Legion, do me a favor. Bring a hundred people. Large crowds bring out the magic from the musicians.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 6:14 am     Manny Escobar playing in Webster Ma.

Well Manny I can't bring one hunderd people as they are all at the Washington Country Fair and the rest of them are at Indian Ranch as MMMMMel Tiiiiitillis is playing there with Terry Bethel on steel and man what a steel player he is.We went to the Washington county fair yesterday to see them play there and they were awsome.I met Terry Bethel and we hung out together for about a hour and he is a great guy.
Sam White
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 10:51 am    

I played a gig with Manny last weekend in Leicester, Mass., K. of C. BBQ. Manny is a fun guy, and a heck of a steel player! He designed and built his pedal steel guitar... that amazes me.

Lately I've been playing a lot of guitar gigs, and that has given me the opportunity to work with many Steel Guitarists in these parts. I'm really enjoying it!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 10:06 pm    

I took these pictures last weekend on a gig with Manny. I was playing guitar. Manny built his pedal steel, and he did a great job. I asked him about the pedals, and I think he said they came off an old sewing machine! I like the sunburst finish. I wish I had taken a picture of the underside. The undercarriage is very clean and well made.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 5:02 am    

When I did the Waltham show last year I met Manny and just wondering if that is the same Steel he used last year or is this a new one?...That one last year was pretty impressive as well as the way he played it...Frankies having a show Oct 28th and I have been asked to return.I hope to get a better look at that steel hopefully Manny will be doing the show...Also a player from Northampton? Wink
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 9:44 am    

Hi Joe, This is the first I've heard of the Boston show, but it sounds like fun.
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 11:39 am     Doug Beaumier

Hi Doug, Don`t stray too far from the phone. Because Oct. 28 I`m booked with Rachel in Uxbridge, unless someone like you comes along and says," Rachel, I can rescue Manny so he can go to Frankie`s Show."
Hi Joe, Thank you for the kind words, and yes it is the same steel.Actually it is the 2nd steel, completed in 1991. The 1st was completed in 1983, stolen in 1987 and returned in 2001. The story would take up several pages on the forum. Joe, I knew you were from this neck of the woods but wasn`t aware that it is the same town where Doug lives.
Speaking of Doug, You take a good photo. My steel dosen`t look that good off camera. Doug Beaumier is unmatched in New England as far as the steel is concerned. Long ago he was a publishing instructor with long hair. When Buddy Emmons came to Prov. in 1981, Doug also played. It was the first time I saw him play. His 60-song tab book is the icing on the cake. Now when we gig together, he makes me nervous in the first set,but I quickly calm down because he doesn`t bite.
While I`m rambling on I want to promote the Rhode Island Steel Show, at the Ponta-Patriot Club in Tiverton, R.I. on Sept. 23. Doug will be playing that show. I have already sold a significant # of tickets. Plus Pres. Marcia Rodrigues will kick my --- if I don`t mention it on the forum.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 6:18 pm    

Quote:
Long ago he was a publishing instructor with long hair.

Thanks Manny, I would trade my steel guitar to have that hair back! Laughing

I'm looking forward to the Rhode Island show!

One of these days you'll have to tell us about your missing steel guitar... stolen from you, and returned 14 years later.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2007 8:20 am    

Manny I lived in the same area western Mass as Doug. However,I actually lived in Springfield 18 miles or so away.I am Originally from the Sacramento,Calif area. (Roseville)Have never been back home since Uncle Sam claimed me in 63.I married a Mass lady while I was stationed at Ft. Devens (Ayer Mass)"67". I stayed in New England for exactly 30 years,loved New England still do. But these old bones need heat and its fun dodging Hurricanes. Laughing I will be up there in October around the 23rd to the 3oth.I'm making a stop in Hendersonville Tn. to pick up another ex New Englander who I won't let drive. Laughing Smilas J Roberts. Rolling Eyes Hope to catch you guys playing somewhere..PS to Doug.B. Frankie just got signed a contract for that date with the Frech club..He called me to see if I was going to St. Louis this year.Usually we all hang out at sometime there. Unfortunately my Room sharing partner is working in Nashburg labor day weekend..(Smiley).It would be great to do some things with you there....You will be called.
Brian LeBlanc

Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2007 8:35 am     Waltham / Boston Show?

is there a show this year?

ie, like Frenchmen's Club last year

Waltham/Boston area...
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2007 11:14 am    

Brian Franky just finalized the date it's Oct 28th and at the French club again....I'm sure Frankys trip to St. Louis will take up most of the time the next week or so but when he gets back he will put it all together I'm told....last year he brought from Colorado the popular St. Louis favorites Singer Red Kilby and Al Brisco from Canada...Along with Yours truly and Jim Roule and many Mass and Rhody,Conn and even New York boys who put on a great show.This year it would be nice to see Dougie Beaumier play both the pedal and his multi neck Fender....Pedal steel is more than alive up there as well as the people who love its music..I wouldn't mind returning to take in the PSGA show in November a biggie...Wish I could come up early for the Rhody show..My bones can only take so much driving...or flying...Smiley Roberts in Nashville has just agreed to drive up with me...Enclosed a couple of Pic of Smiley with Carl perkins and Tommy Overstreet on Pop goes the Country Nashville network Archives....

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2007 4:25 pm    

... I have an afternoon gig Oct 28 !! Same thing happened last year the day of the Boston show. I'll be at the Rhode Island show though.