| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster Info...Cody???
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 7:12 pm    

Stringmaster D6 info...Jody(Can't Type), anyone??? I pulled the tuning pan & there was a single piece of masking tape with the number "5" on it. It is a Yellow/Off White Stringmaster D6, SN 01503 with a black case, Fender logo, & orange lining. I am thinking a 1975...anybody....

[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 12 November 2006 at 07:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 12 November 2006 at 08:47 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 10:49 pm    

I don’t think that number on the masking tape has anything to do with the date of production.

The best way to date the guitar is by the source/date code stamped on the pots. You need to remove the control plate and look at the number code on the pots. That will tell you when the pots were made. Of course, the pots must be original. If you don’t know how to read the code, post it here. Keep in mind that Fender often bought large quantities of potentiometers, enough to last for a couple of years. My '68 telecaster has '66 pots.

As far as I know, Fender used a different series of serial numbers for each model, so the serial number won't indicate the date of production unless compared to other D-6's.

The black tolex Case w/orange lining could be any year from 63 to the late 70’s. Fender started making those cases about 1963 (black tolex, black leather ends, reddish orange lining, logo on case). 1965-67 cases had no logo. '68 and later had the logo. So the 1970's cases were very similar to the '60s cases.

Fenders had 'nitro' finishes until 1968. Nitro paint has a sweet aroma and a certain look. Often a 'see-through' look. From 1968 on, Fenders had thicker poly finishes, more like today’s guitars. My '67 T-8 is 'nitro', and my '68 telecaster is not.

1968 through late 70’s Fenders used the 'F-tuners' made by Schaller. There is an F logo on the tuner, hidden under the pan, and the 'buttons' on these post-68 tuners look and feel slightly different than earlier ones. They are not completely oval like the earlier Kluson tuner buttons.

This is all general info; you need to check the pots to date the guitar more accurately.

------------------
My Site - Instruction

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 13 November 2006 at 12:14 AM.]

Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 6:30 am    

Hi Terry,

Everything Doug says above. When you checked for the a date, did you pull both pans?...If you could post a picture that would help...TX
Rgds,

Ron

------------------
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 13 November 2006 at 06:31 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 13 November 2006 at 12:15 PM.]

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 7:07 am    

The Stringmaster I've been looking at in another thread also had a pot with a date code of 1966, and it turned out to be nearer a 1972 based on the date codes of the other pots.

Here's a nice resource for interpreting date codes on pots and speakers: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html