| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New GarageBand Version
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 4:28 pm    

Garage Band is a damn good program, and if you havent seen it, check it here:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/
click on the watch video link on the right.

Jerry have you tried jamming along with the Magic GarageBand track yet?
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 11:43 am    

I agree, the Magic Garageband steeler is excellent. There's also a rhythm steel part so you can have two at once. Judging by the pictures and icons we're looking for a guy with short legs. Razz [edited to add: ironically the forum coding has stretched my screen grabs so that the steel is the correct height and the other instruments are squashed - almost as if it knew...]

All the jam tracks I've checked out are really good. There are also two pedal steels in the Roots Rock track. Shame there's only one song per genre but I expect we'll be seeing expansion packs soon. By the way if you're looking for extra pedal steel/country Apple Loops for Garageband there's a set out called Old+Alt Country by PowerFX which is pretty good. The steel player is called Jan Lindgren but there's no reason to think it's the same guy.[/url]

Haven't tried jamming along yet. might have to slow it down a little... Confused
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 6:31 pm    

Garage Band looks mighty interesting. Unfortunately I have a PC. Seems like they could increase their sales many times over if they had a program that would work with Windows. Any chance of that happening?
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 6:54 pm    

If they did that, then there would be one less reason for you to buy a Mac.

I loooove my Mac. Its fast, its stable and right out of the box it is loaded with great programs that are intuitive, fun and inspiring. And if you are really attached to Windows, you can run it on a Mac.

Theres my Mac sales pitch for the week. Steve Jobs oughtta send me some $$!!!
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 5:26 am    

It is a great program - a decent "recording studio" even without the backing tracks and instruments. I like it mainly for the immense variety of drum parts/sounds.

But - what are those pictures posted above? That's not Garageband, unless there's some hidden pictures I've never found...and wouldn't use.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 5:38 am    

I used Garageband on my Mac for all the pre-production on my last solo album, and saved a bundle of money. It's amazing that the Garageband program comes stock with all Macs.
erik

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 7:33 am    

Can you give an example how you can use the prerecorded music to create a new project? It doesn't seem possible to disect that track and make something entirely new from the instrumental snip-its. Are those actual sound fonts or triggered midi instruments?

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 7:44 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
It is a great program - a decent "recording studio" even without the backing tracks and instruments. I like it mainly for the immense variety of drum parts/sounds.

But - what are those pictures posted above? That's not Garageband, unless there's some hidden pictures I've never found...and wouldn't use.

Its a thing called "Magic Garage Band" in the new iLife 08 which just came out last week. Ans it's very usefull as a backing track to play along with.
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 7:46 am    

erik wrote:
Can you give an example how you can use the prerecorded music to create a new project? It doesn't seem possible to disect that track and make something entirely new from the instrumental snip-its. Are those actual sound fonts or triggered midi instruments?

Please watch the video in the link here:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

They are audio samples, not MIDI triggers. Its only one feature of Garage Band, whose main purpose is a multi track and MIDI studio.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 8:41 am    

For the pre-production of tunes from my latest album, I used the drum samples and some percussion, and added my own bass, guitars and vocals. It's a very easy program to use. You can mix each instument separately (real or virtual), adding compression, reverb, etc. The effects are pretty decent. You can also take a drum kit sample and break it down into separate parts, making the snare drum louder, taking off 'verb, etc.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:32 am    

Joe - is the "Magic" thing a completely separate function? They didn't change the fundamental use of Garageband did they?

The pictures don't relate to what Garageband does...at least how I think of it. That's why I wonder if it's a different thing from "normal" Garageband...and also hope they didn't foul Garageband up with some kind of dopey cartoons.

Edited to add - just looked at the Apple page and it seems like this is something that IS a separate part of Garageband. Still not much explanation of what the graphics are about.

It sounds like they took Fender's GDec 30 amp and stuck it in a computer, if I'm interpreting it right as mainly a backing-track creation system. If so...and if that's the major "upgrade"...I'll probably stick with the previous version.

Last edited by Jim Sliff on 15 Aug 2007 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:41 am    

"Magic GarageBand" is really a way for people who don't play an instrument to have fun with GarageBand. The program itself retains all the original functionality, and has some new features (24-bit recording, multiple takes within a track, etc.)

Last edited by Jerry Gleason on 15 Aug 2007 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 9:42 am    

garage band still does what it always did. its just an added function.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 10:01 am    

OK, that makes sense - I've seen a couple of programs before where people could create "bands" and do the same thing. I sort of wish they'd made that part of a different package; it's almost starting to sound "Microsoft-ish", bloated with this stuff.

Still being an analog-brained recording type, what does the new version have as far as advantages over the old one? "Multiple takes" seems like no change at all - you can record as many takes as you have disk space for with the old one. And I'm not sure what "24 bit" means or what it's being compared to.
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 10:22 am    

Jim, in digital terms, 24-bit refers to the bit depth of the audio. 24-bit gives better resolution and greater dynamic range than "CD-quality" 16 bit.

You can now do several takes within a track in GB, and sort though them by number, a convenient feature.

I'd still like to know who played the steel tracks. Nice work, whoever it is.
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 11:59 am    

Jim Sliff wrote:
OK, that makes sense - I've seen a couple of programs before where people could create "bands" and do the same thing. I sort of wish they'd made that part of a different package; it's almost starting to sound "Microsoft-ish", bloated with this stuff.

Why would you want them to create a second audio app just for this? That would seem more Microsoft-ish to me than anything.
You have a choice...no one is making you use it.

And when people refer to Microsoft being "bloated" it refers to the lines of code it takes to run their OS. I dont think Magic Garage Band would require too much more code than it already takes. All its doing is playing audio files.

Alot of the question people here are asking can be answerd by going to Apples website and clicking on the iLife link, and watching the tutorial videos they have posted.

Peace

JB
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 1:43 pm    

Microsoft would have added the feature plus an always-running process to monitor your usage of it, a boot-time preloader to make it appear to load faster, and an updater program that runs once an hour. Winking

Seriously, I have no problem with Apple adding flashy new features to GarageBand as long as they don't slow down the basic operation of the program.

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 11:38 pm    

b0b wrote:
Microsoft would have added the feature plus an always-running process to monitor your usage of it, a boot-time preloader to make it appear to load faster, and an updater program that runs once an hour. Winking

They also would have several different versions: basic, basic deluxe, basic professional home deluxe and professional ultimate home media deluxe basic service pack 7.8.8.9.0. Laughing
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 11:46 pm    

Okay, not to pick on the Microsoft folks too much, but after reading this thread here: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=115029&highlight=
I started laughing. I certainly dont miss Windows and the strange language one needs to speak to use it apparantly..

Okay so........who IS the steeler on that GarageBand track.......I plan on copping some of those riffs. Winking
Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 11:48 pm    

Joe - could you please stop messing around with Garage Band and get serious about getting the Fadded Love box set out please Very Happy

Mac plug - I still have an iMac at my office i bought in the summer of 2000. Works great (not as great as the Core 2 Duo 24" iMac of course.... drool). 450mhz, runs Tiger, Adobe CS2, everything. Steve Jobs for president.

Joe, love your posts. peace