| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did Anyone Order the $150 Johnson Metal Resonator?
Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 8:12 pm    

Just checking to see if anyone besides myself ordered the Johnson Bell Brass Resonator guitar. Has anyone received one from Musician's Friend or Music 123 ?

I ordered one two weeks ago and due to problems at the warehouse, they claim they are behind in shipping. I was told they were a week behind when I ordered but it seems the problem is worse than they thought or my order is not being sent.

Let me know if you received an order from Musician's Friend or Music 123.

Thanks,
Dave
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 9:42 am    

I ordered a Rogue electric sitar $299. over 3 weeks ago. Same story. They sent me an email saying they were moving the wherehouse and it would be shipped soon. Whatever that meens. Rolling Eyes
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 5:48 pm    

I don't buy stuff from Musician's Friend.
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 5:55 pm    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
I don't buy stuff from Musician's Friend.

That's lovely. Where else don't you buy from? Rolling Eyes
James Harrison

New Brockton, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 9:23 pm    

I noticed on their Website several things will be available in late August. The ship from China must have problems. James
allen purcell

Harts, wv usa
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 3:36 am     slow to ship

My last order was july 15th.I got 10 single strings on 1 delivery and 1 capo on another delivery.Nothing else yet. By the time the case gets here my wife hopes I fit. 1 dime and I got more money than brains.
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 9:17 am    

I went to the Musicians Friend web site and didn't any Johnson resonators listed at all?
Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 9:19 am    

Hi Jesse,
They sold out out of them, so thats why I am wondering if I will ever see one.

Dave
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 10:24 am    

They are way behind on their deliveries due to changing warehouses. I ordered a few things several weeks ago that have not shipped yet. They aren't communicating status via email but you'll get an email when the items finally ship.

When I ordered they were upfront about expected delays so I can't really fault them for this, but I expected to have my stuff shipped already and it hasn't yet. I wouldn't want to be working the phones there right now.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 11:57 am    

Loni,
I know of TWO local music stores that were put out of business because of the "Musician's Friend/Guitar Center" network. These were stores that offered fair prices, nice salespeople, and a friendly atmosphere.
Compare that to the complaints folks have about the service at Guitar Center. And it's certainly not very "FRIENDLY" to those musicians who've ordered merchandise and received nothing, as this thread describes, now, is it?
By the way, I also don't buy stuff at Wal-Mart---Hey, you asked Oh Well .
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 12:30 pm    

Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Loni,
I know of TWO local music stores that were put out of business because of the "Musician's Friend/Guitar Center" network. These were stores that offered fair prices, nice salespeople, and a friendly atmosphere.
Compare that to the complaints folks have about the service at Guitar Center. And it's certainly not very "FRIENDLY" to those musicians who've ordered merchandise and received nothing, as this thread describes, now, is it?
By the way, I also don't buy stuff at Wal-Mart---Hey, you asked Oh Well .

I share your pain brother on the loss of indepenant music stores.
Back in the eighties when I was producing the LA GUITAR shows, Guitar Center approached me about "Sponsoring" and in effect taking over the show. That would have made me financially secure. We were in agreement on all levels except one. I had the support and participation of several small stores in LA and in order for GC to control the show, I would have to exclude those stores. I told GC no deal unless the little guys could all participate. End of story.
It cost me thousands of $ to turn them down.
Funny thing is I have several friends working at corporate GC now. Time marches on and you got to roll with.
Hell we'll all be speaking Chineese and Spanish soon anyway.
Peace.
I don't shop at Wallmart either, Smile
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 1:12 pm    

I've had nothing but great service from Musician's Friend (I don't go to Guitar Center, can't stand the racket or the vibes). The people are friendly on the phone, communicate efficiently through email, have good prices, take stuff back without an argument, and have a 45-day return policy.

By contrast, none of the local stores will give me anything close to a 45-day return policy. In fact, there is no return policy. You buy it, it's yours. I don't consider that service. And the sales guys usually have an attitude.

I also like Elderly Instruments for the same kind of reasons (and I don't shop at Wallmart).
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 1:38 pm    

Aren't GC and MF the same company?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 6:21 pm    

Yes, I know the warehouse move is the major cause of the slowdown. However, the salesperson that took my order going on 4 wks. ago, told me that my order would be here in 3 to 5 days....an obvious mistake.
3 calls to them has gained me nothing.

The CS dep't couldn't be more vague as to when it will ship. They are saying hopefully this week, maybe next but at least they are not promising a date.

As stated earlier, I'm willing to wait a while longer under the circumstances and due to the fact that I've always had excellent service from MF.

As a victim of small business woes in my own family, my heart goes out to the Mom and Pop's around the country and prefer to buy from them when I can. In this case, I've yet to see a sqnk. reso anywhere around here even close to the price of that blem.

It might be a piece of junk for all I know, but with their guarantee, I can send it back if I need to.

I ordered the blem Rogue sqnk. reso, only because of the small price....If I don't get it, I won't lose any sleep! It might even be a blessing in disguise as I can't really afford it even on the time payment plan Exclamation
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 10:06 pm    

Who needs a 45-day return policy, if the gear is already in the store to try out? I won't buy a new guitar without playing it first, and in a store, I have the option of putting the guitar back on the rack. Consider it returned.
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 6:01 am    

I can't usually hear how a guitar sounds in a store, but I agree a store is better to buy a guitar at as you have several to compare to. Amps are another story. I want to play the amp in different situations and at different volumes. I want to be able to "dime" it, find the sweet spot, see if it cuts through a mix, etc. Impossible to do in a store.
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 7:15 am    

I have had nothing but positive results from Guitar Center online and Musicians Friend over the years. I'm all for a store having buying power and saving me money. The only time I feel I got screwed is when a small indie music store hadn't told me or I forgot to ask "that they don't do returns" if I'm not happy. It's the future is't it? I just returned a CD to amazone .com because it had the wrong track listing on their site. What was interesting to me was that I was able to download a free address lable with free postage to put on the CD to mail back to Amazon. It's the future, try and get use to it.
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 8:24 am    

Bill Leff wrote:
I can't usually hear how a guitar sounds in a store, but I agree a store is better to buy a guitar at as you have several to compare to. Amps are another story. I want to play the amp in different situations and at different volumes. I want to be able to "dime" it, find the sweet spot, see if it cuts through a mix, etc. Impossible to do in a store.

Did I hear the word AMPS? shamless plug!
www.ampshow.com
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 1:21 pm    

Loni, as much as I love amps, I can only imagine what it must sound like at the amp show with the amps all blaring blazing licks simultaneously. How do you manage this?

I once went to a small amp "shootout" that a guy who sells boutique amps (Two-Rock, Roccaforte and some others whose name I can't recall) had. Thankfully, it was me, him and one other guy and we all knew how to play and lay back when appropriate so we basically had an extended jam sessions trying out these great amps. Unfortunately, I wasn't invited back as I didn't express much interest in actually *purchasing* one of these tone machines. I was just content to hear myself playing through them!
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2007 1:32 pm    

Bill, Each manufacturer has their own seperate demo room! There will be over 45rooms and a dozen open floor, non demo exhibitors. It's more fun than chewing gum!
Come on down and bring one axe to try any and all of these boutique amps.
I'll comp you in if you can make it! Very Happy
Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 12:54 pm    

I ordered one of the brass resos, and a friend of mine also ordered one the same day. We had them in a few days. I've had no problems with Musician's Friend or Elderly.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 1:22 pm    

If anyone bought one of these and doesn't care for it, I'd love to have one.
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 2:22 pm    

I got a email from MF stating the finally shipped my order yesterday.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 3:29 pm    

Loni, I'd like to hear your evaluation of the instrument when you (finally) get it. Not a big dobro/reso fan myself, but sometimes I get calls for acoustic gigs and might have use for one if the quality is acceptable. Anyone else familiar with this product? Thanks!
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 4:48 pm    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Loni, I'd like to hear your evaluation of the instrument when you (finally) get it. Not a big dobro/reso fan myself, but sometimes I get calls for acoustic gigs and might have use for one if the quality is acceptable. Anyone else familiar with this product? Thanks!

I ordered an Electric sitar by Rogue, not a reso. Alien