| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1951 Fender Custom T8
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 12:16 pm    

I don't know how many of you saw the 1951 Fender Custom T8 on E-Bay this week. I won this auction, to my surprise. For $560, should I have chosen curtain number three? I'm hoping that with a little TLC this guitar will be a keeper. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 1:18 pm    

I saw that auction, and you will be happy you won. If I didn't already have one, I would have bid on it. As long as the pickups are workin' you got a good deal. The price of all vintage Fender steels is going up, so even if you wind up not happy, you can always sell it in a year for more.
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 1:42 pm    

Thanks Loni for the reply. The seller states that the guitar has a Speedy West effects button for the middle neck and a Bud Isac's changer on the front neck. I really don't know what that means, but it will be interesting to find out.

The case that comes with this guitar is not finished on the inside. I wonder if any of you have suggestions on how to line this pearl?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 1:50 pm    

You definitely made a good deal. I sold my Fender custom T3 for about 1100 a year or so ago.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 2:00 pm    

Ebay Custom
Looks like you did great. The general tone of the ebay description gives me confidence. I see a Sho-Bud in the backround of one of the photos. Seller would seem to be a steel player (for whatever that's worth).
The Speedy button is probably a signal interrupter for stutter effects. The changer---well, you can't really see any details but I've seen some major league hack jobs and this doesn't look terribly invasive.
Note that these lollipop tuners often have some problems---you have 24 of them so there's a chance you could run into some bad ones. A forum member has offered his professional services for repairing these tuner pans. I'll put you on to him if you end up in need.
Best of luck--this could be a really good score for you. I've a good feeling about it.

btw--at least the guy put the pedal on the middle neck. If it had been neck 1 or 3 then the guitar would fall right over when you step on the pedal. My Dual Pro was mutilated---first the guy hacked it up to install some sort of puller. Then, after it tended to fall over he added a 4th leg (carving the body with a hatchet, apparently---what a mess.) I admire good ingenious alterations. But please, please have some skills!

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 28 October 2006 at 03:04 PM.]

Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 2:21 pm    

John,

Just reading about those alterations to your guitar makes me queezy. Thanks for the offer on the tuners. When the quitar gets here, I'll take a close look at those tuners and let you know.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 3:10 pm    

Stanford, the Speedy West effects button is a momentary off switch for stutter effects. That would be the little red button.

At that price you got a phenomenal deal, if everything is working like the seller says.
Customs have been going for twice that amount or more.
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 4:18 pm    

Rick,

Who says that Christmas doesn't come early? If I had tried to win this guitar at this price, it would never had happened. I put in my bid and go to bed. The next monring my email says that I'm a winner. The only thing I could think of was "there goes $600." Now, I'm as happy as if I had planned the whole thing. I appreciate the responses on this. BTW my wife read the responses and her homicidal thoughts are going away.

Are there any ideas on how best to line this guitar case?
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 5:52 pm    

Padded felt I guess.
I notice the seller will include the original beat-up case if you want it.
I'd say get it, just because it's the original.
It will probably stink (animal glue), but you can always wrap it in a large trash bag and store it out of the way.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 9:44 pm    

At first glance I almost thought it looked as good as my 1954 CUSTOM. However, upon noticing the "butchering" I soon realized it was not a pristine guitar. I have never experienced any problem with any of my 24 tuners...they function just like new. The price you paid was a real steal for that steel !
http://www3.telus.net/public/lake_r/
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2006 11:39 pm    

Stanford,
If you don't want that old beat up case, I could use it. I don't have a case at all!
Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2006 6:44 pm    

Yes, I watched it too, looks very sweet, I even put in an early bid, but did not think it would sell for that little. I think you did very well indeed. Can you post pictures of the Changer Mod that was done on the middle neck?
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 6:24 am    

Hi Fred,

When the guitar arrives, I'll try to get some pictures and post them I will probably need some input on the question of whether to keep the guitar as it is or try to restore it.
Tom Zielinski

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 7:02 am    

What a deal! I almost bid on it and figured there goes $750. I bought mine (2) for less than $300 each a few years back.

If you need to reline the case...the first thing you need is to go to an auto store and buy spray adhesive for a car interior. Use it outdoors, its pretty toxic. You can also buy the black carpeting at an automotive store or you can be a bit more custom and go to a local fabric shop and choose a fabric about as thick as fleece or thicker. In one case I used a pinup cowgirl print and another used a horseshoe print. Try a practice run because you do not want the adhesive to run through the carpet. If there is too much glue, smear it with a putty knife. Wait till the glue is tacky and carefully stick the measured carpet cuts in.

Lollipop tuners suck. I have had 2 Triplenecks and 2 doublenecks and have come to the conclusion that if you want a real reliable guitar, you have to mod them. Or use really light guage strings and modify your tunings. I modded out a D8 (yes I know) , it now has Klusons in it (I cut the pans, drilled and sanded the shafts, etc.) Took about 3 hours and cost about $100. Best investment yet.

Sorry this was so long, but I am just trying to help you out. Great sounding guitar, keep it!
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 9:21 am    

Hey Tom,

I don't care how much space you take, so long as you keep providing such helpful info. The tips on gluing the fabric are very helpful. I'm getting more and more excited about this purchase every day.

Dave Zielinski

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 1:47 pm    

Tom,

You didn't happen to learn that tuner mod trick from your crafty little bro did you??? I told ya so!!

I M-F'd Leo Fender one time. When my D8 stuck me on a gig with a lollipop gone bad!!!

have fun!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 2:13 pm    

Hey--did you guys know you had the same last name?

I'm totally jazzed for you, Stanford. Like I said, I had a good feeling about this when I read about it. Not that you can take my good feelings to the bank or anything but...

For your info, my experience of trouble with the tuners was that the bracket broke loose that holds the worm screw in contact with the gear (star gear?) that drives the shaft that the string wraps around. I think the star gear also had a stripped tooth, probably as a result of the broken bracket. The bracket needs a solder job and the gear needs replacing. Like I said, a fellow named Lonnie Locklear has posted here on the forum and I've been in touch with him regarding the soldering job. One of these days I'll be sending my tuner pan to him.
Looking forward to your receiving the steel and reporting on it.
Mike Maddux

Cerritos, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2006 10:31 pm    

And to think I lost out on this guitar for 10 bucks...yes I was the guy with the 2nd bid. And I just want to know what your max bid was so I can stop beating myself up.

------------------
Regular Rig: 60's Versatone Pan-O-Flex Amplifier, '85 Fender Tele Custom, '98 USA Fender Strat, Magnatone G-70, Harmony Steel, Silvertone Steel, Sho-Bud Maverick
Tom Zielinski

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 5:33 am    

The tuner mod is something my brother got me hip too. I thought he got it from someone else, not sure.

I forgot to mention I also resprayed the fretboards. They look great too.

I tried everything with my old tuners. I packed them with grease. Changed at least a dozen star gears, and eventually I had the same issues over and over. I remember spending two whole days fixing them when I should have been practicing and learning tunes. It was way too frustrating.

I'll have to say even though it is a mod, the guitar looks real nice, plays real nice and is reliable. I am surprised no one has given me heat about modifying a 56 year old fender guitar. But now it is 100% functional.
Dave Zielinski

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 5:42 am    

Big Brother Tom,
If you want heat, I'll give it to you... you should have fixed your tuners long ago!! hahahaha!

Whe are you gonna post pics of the pink D8??? It looks hot!

Dave

------------------
A bunch of new and old guitars and mps......IN SEARCH OF BIGSBY!!!
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2006 6:20 am    

Hey Mike,

My max bid was $600. I've been where you are when bidding on E-bay. I'm never this lucky. Well, there was that time in 1973, but we want talk about that.
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2006 6:22 am    

I received an e-mail today with the UPS tracking number for my Fender. I don't have a lot of confidence in UPS, but lets hope for the best. I'm looking forward to its arrival.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2006 8:47 am    

It's all in the packing. I've heard some horror stories. But have never had any problems of any kind myself. My brand new Excel just arrived yesterday with absolutely no problems. It had a solid 12" of packing all around it.
Stanford Lane

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2006 9:53 am    

I received this fender last friday. Due to band practice and a gig, I couldn't hook it up until today. It looks great and sounds better than that. The Speedy West button on the center neck works. However, I don't believe that I will use it much. Our bass player said that it has as much sex appeal as his truck. I think that he is jealous because I have six times as many strings as he has.