| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reso-nubie
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 5:08 am    

Hi all,

I'm a pedal (E9) player and just ordered a cheapo (Johnson) resonator for kicks. Actually my straight country band could use dobro on some things more than steel. Since I am hopelessly dependent on pedals (a "bar slant" is what I see when I've had a few too many) I was thinking of going with a tuning that would seem a little more familiar to me than the standard country (GBDGBD) tuning. Speicifically, I'm thinking of an E6: (from bottom) E-B-C#-E-G#-B.

Horrible mistake? I realzie it locks me out of all the instructional material and solo tab literature, but I'll probably be playing little fills and one note solos for the most part.

Any wisdom imparted before I jump of the board would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

------------------
Dan Beller-McKenna
Big Red
Blue TrainDurham, NH

Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 5:22 am    

I would suggest just staying with open G for now. Since you are a pedal player it should come fast for you. The 1 3 5 1 3 5 gives you pretty easy chords and is good for solo's. The Dobro roadmaps book will give you what you need and you can go from there.

Jerry Douglas barely ever slants and he does ok...

my 2 cents

------------------
HSGA & RMSGC member
Play it with "Glass"
Boyett's Glass Bars

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 6:07 am    

With the "dobro-G" tuning you can also raise the 4th string from D to E when you need to, which will give you a G6 and acces to more triads without slants.

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 6:14 am    

Steinar,

that makes it pretty close to what I had in mind for an E tuning (just a thrid on the 5th string instead of a fifth). Now if I can just get used to G being the open position after playing six string for 40 years! Also, my country band plays about 70% of our songs in E, so I might try the tuning you suggest but transpose it down to E.

Dan

[This message was edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 04 November 2006 at 08:40 AM.]

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 6:46 am    

Like David Lindley & Derek Trucks, I use open E almost all the time. I also use open D & G, but keep going back to E 90% of the time.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 9:18 am    

Quote:
my country band plays about 70% of our songs in E

Open-D is a great tuning if you want to play "dobroish" pull-off/hammer-ons in the key of E, the combination of 2nd fret/open strings give you a cool E7th scale.

By simply raising the second string (A) to a B you'll get a D6/Bm7 that works great for more swing style tunes.

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 9:47 am    

I really like open G for reso. when starting out on lap steel I used open E; fretboard familiarity. then I went to C6 on another lap steel. but that would not bode well for a resonator.
while tuned GBDGBD I find it harder to play in E,,,which alot of bands use and jammers too.
I like the idea of using open D.
you get the essential dobro playing and an easier time with E.

I have found several places on the fret board, tuned open G, to play E. the final tuning choice depends on what kind of voice you're after.

I like that you're coming from pedal steel. are you playing square neck resonator? or round neck?
coming from lap steel I started with square neck reso.
80% 0f my guitar time is now lap style.

the slants are intuitive. you will have an easy time hearing where they are played because you are a pedal player.
you guys think of so much when you play; it's crazy. as a non pedaler I am in awe of you guys. pick a tuning that is ideal for your part in the band and create those fills, etc as you discover the guitar. because of your pedal background the result, I bet, will be musical.

[This message was edited by Randy Reeves on 04 November 2006 at 09:49 AM.]

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 10:15 am    

Mike Auldridge teaches a C9th 8 string tuning for reso. His DVD on 8 string reso is excellent.
Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 12:23 pm    

I vote with Steinar's second post on this one - if you're in E most of the time, D tuning is great for its open 2nds, 4ths, and flat 7ths. You can also capo on the second fret for more bluesgrassy open-string licks. While I love the sound of standard G tuning, playing it in E will require you to either capo way up or play in "closed" position most of the time. Tuning G down to E will require heavier strings or a big loss of volume as dobros are structurally built for they way they are normally tuned (G or D).

[This message was edited by Mike Fried on 04 November 2006 at 12:24 PM.]

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2006 2:14 am    

While it's possible to use E and A tunings on a reso, they are too high and put too much strain on the neck. Thats why G and D tunings came into being. Steiner offered you the best alternatives. But out of curiosity why bother with a dobro if uou don't want to play it like one? If you want to use Hawiian tunings just get a lap steel or get one of those little effects gadgets to use on your PSG to give an approximation of dobro sound.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2006 5:03 am    

Thanks for all the good feedback folks. Sounds like the D tuning is my best option.

I suspect the instrument will arrive with strings for the G tuning on it so I'll play with that for a few days and see if I can get comfortable with it.

Don: I do want to play it like a dobro; or, at least, I want to be able to play dobro licks. I just want to take advantage of what I already know to get up and running quickly. Seems from all I've read on-line that many straightahead country donro players use alternatives to the G tuning anyway. This will never be my primary instrument, so I don't feel a need to do it "correctly." If I can get the sounds I want with a tuning that is more familiar to me I will do that. I have a 6th tuning on E9 when I put down teo pedals, but it doesn;t make me sound Hawaiian. No need for it to do that on the dobro either.

Dan
Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2006 4:27 pm    

Well good luck and my best wishes.