Post  Posted 16 Jul 2004 9:45 am    

Maurice Anderson could you please tell when
my MSA stell was built. The number of this
guitar is 2C1494. Thank you.
Greg McMullen

Brooklyn, New York
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2004 10:38 am    

hey there maurice,

while you are at it, how about looking up some info for my steel.
2c277

thanks,
greg

------------------

MSA D-10 8x6
Mesa/Boogie MK I 1-15" combo
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2004 11:39 am    

Don L....Serial number 2C-1494 is a rosewood formica double 10 which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. It went to someone named Turner, and appears to have been shipped directly from MSA as per instructions for our then distributor CMI. Your guitar was born on Oct. 26th 1973.

Greg M....I would have to say the value of your guitar just went up. Your white double 10 guitar first went to my long time dear friend and master steel guitarist, Paul Franklin. The amount of pedals and knee levers originally installed was not entered into record, nor was the exact date of manufacture.
Dean Neeley

Aiken,SC USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 8:27 am    

Mr.Anderson what about this one.2C6314
Best playing guitar i've ever played.

Dean Neeley
Andrew Kilinski

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 10:46 am    

hey there maurice,

while you are at it, how about looking up
some info for my steel.

1S3680

thanks,
andrew
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2004 2:27 pm    

Mr. Anderson,
How about no. 1s780, msa guitar. thanks robert
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 4:24 pm    

i would still like to know about my little msa s10 3 and 1 semiclassic ser no. 1so780
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 5:28 pm    

Dan N....I'm delighted your MSA has served you well.

Your guitar shows to be a double 10 SS which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. It originally went to Louie Johnson Music. Neither the color nor the specific date of manufacture was entered into record.

Andrew K....1S-3680 shows to be a black single 10 which was originally shipped to our then distributor CMI. Your guitar left the factory with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. It was born on Oct.25th 1974.

Robert M....Your guitar shows to be a rosewood single neck which left the factory with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. It's orginal destination was again our distributor in Chicago. Date of birth was not entered into record.
Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 6:45 pm    

Mr Anderson...

I have never been able to locate the serial number on my D 10 Classic I purchased new in mid 70's from a music store in Western Idaho. I have asked this question on the forum before and told where to look for it. On one occasion three of us had the guitar upside down on the floor and we were on our hands and knees for 15 minutes looking for it and could not find it. (No jokes please) Any ideas? By the way, I had the pleasure of meeting you at that music store at that time at some sort of a mini show or something. I will never never never part with this guitar. BTW way, the production sticker is signed by Billy Bradley.

Thanks
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 3:49 am    

Terry....Anything is of course possible. If there is no serial number, it could possibly be one of our pre-prodction guitars made before 1972. If it says "Classic" on the front, that should indicate a serial number was entered into record.

Thank you for remembering the steel show. I played hundreds of those type shows and had the privilege of meeting many people and developing long lasting friendships. Truly a great time in my life.

Unfortunately Billy Brady (who built and signed your guitar) passed away about two years ago. He was an exceptional steel player, a fine man, and a lifelong friend.

Thank you for being part of the MSA family, and if I can help you further, please let me know.
Donnie Pierce

Windsor, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 5:37 pm     Maurice Anderson question? One more Serial Number.......

One more serial no. Please. 1C1041 Thank you very much for your time looking these numbers up. It is good to get a little history of our Steels. Classic S-10. Donnie
Black Box,Wet Reverb
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 4:01 am    

Donnie....Serial number 1C1041 is a rosewood single 10 which left the factory with 5 pedals and 4 knee levers.

It was originally shipped to our distributor in Chicago. Your guitar ws born on August 3rd 1973.

I'm always happy to provide informatioin about MSA guitars to proud owners. Thank you for being part of our family.
Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 7:04 am    

Hey Donnie...

Can you tell me exactly where your serial number is stamped, and if you have a signed production sticker. I suspect my rosewood D-10 Classic was hatched about the same time.

Thanks and Reese if you're still watching thanks so much for your response. That really made my day.

Terry
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 11:10 am    

Terry....If you will look on the bottom of your guitar on the pickup end close to the line of return springs, you should find the serial number stamped into the aluminum.

It's always a pleasure to be of help, and I thank you for providing me the opportunity.
Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 5:24 pm    

Mr Reese

Thanks again for your help. The serial number remains a mystery. There is a logical spot for it, but we do not see it. I purchased it from a store called "Music West" in Nampa, Idaho. I doubt they ever had more than this one steel so if you show a (rosewood) guitar going to them, this is probably it.

Terry N

Donnie Pierce

Windsor, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 6:17 pm     S10 Classic

Terry Niendorf,
Just a note after looking at your steel, I have the step son of yours, Same steel in a single frame..... Just thought you like to know....Great Steel... Donnie
Black Box,Wet Reverb
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2007 4:21 am    

Terry....You have a great looking guitar and I appreciate your extra effort to locate the serial number. You do of course have a production guitar, so there should have been a serial number.

There have been instances when the number was so faint, I have suggested one get a very light piece of paper and using a pencil lightly, shade the paper over a suspected area which resulted in the serial number being seen. Of course there have been instances when the serial number was intentionally and skillfully obscured.

We did not have a specified place to stamp the serial number, although they were in the general area. Many were stamped (looking at the picture) to the left along the back aluminum rail.

Our tracking procedures ended when we shipped the guitars to our distributor.
Jon Kostal

Westmont, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2007 7:16 pm    

Mr. Anderson,

I have a SemiClassic #1S2060. Any information is appreciated. Here's a story:

In 1978 I wanted to learn pedal steel. A new neighbor was a steeler herself. I looked at a used MSA that I really liked, and she suggested that the MSA was a good mechanical guitar, but was lacking in tone. I was going to buy it anyway, but was sold.

I purchased her Emmons D-10 and used it for about 25 years, but always kept her opinion about MSA.

I won this one on ebay for $500, in rough shape. I've turned it into a very playable and enjoyable instrument.

It's got a George L's E66 pickup in it and it sounds fantastic!

This will be my main steel for awhile. Do you sell replacement fretboards?

The tone is in the HANDS.

By the way I was always crazy about "Rapid Ragg".

Thanks for everything.

Jon Kostal
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 4:05 am    

Jon....Thank you for sharing your story, and your comment concerning your MSA. I'm delighted to know you're happy with your guitar.

Serial number 1S2060 shows to be a white Semi-Classic
which left the factory with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. It was originally shipped to CMI in Chicago who was our distributor at the time, they of course sold it to a music dealer.

Your guitar was born on February 25th 1974.

I appreciate your remembering "Rapid Ragg" which Phil Baugh and I recorded. I would like to think I have a copy packed away somewhere, but I'm not sure. I can't remember what song was on the other side of the recording. Phil was a great player and a dear friend whom I still miss.

You and I agree, tone is in the HANDS, but it's also in the EYES. (visual perception)

Thank you for being part of what we consider to be the MSA family.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 4:12 am    

Quote:
You and I agree, tone is in the HANDS, but it's also in the EYES. (visual perception)

Reece - where do the ears fit into the equation? Very Happy

I have to echo your comments on Phil Baugh - he was outstanding. The pedal assembly that MSA made for his 6-string is fascinating. I'm surprised that there wasn't more demand elsewhere for this unit.

Regards
Ken

PS - looking forward to seeing you again at the TSGA show in March.
Jon Kostal

Westmont, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 3:39 pm    

Mr. Anderson,

Thanks so much for the information. The steel community is so fortunate to have you to help us. I think it's amazing that you take the time to look up the serial numbers of our guitars, and that you have kept such good records in the first place. Here are a few pics of my Semi Classic. And here is a copy of Rapid Ragg that I recorded off my 12" vinyl album "Pieces of Eight" compiled by Tom Bradshaw. (He's another great in the Steel community, Thanks, Tom!) Thanks again for everything, and I'm proud and happy to be a member of the MSA family. I regret not trying an MSA earlier in my career. I've been checking out the new ones!

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 6:55 am    

Hi Jon....I appreciate so much your bringing back great memories of Phil and I playing together by providing a sound file. I'm still curious as to what song was on the other side of the recording?

I'm always happy to provide all the information I have available to those who wish to know the history of their guitar. It's the least I can do to express the appreciation each of us at MSA have for those who have supported our efforts over the years.
Khoa Pham

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2007 2:34 pm    

I got a MSA a few months ago and I was wondering if you could tell me more about it Mr. Anderson. The number is 2C6202
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 5:36 am    

First of all, may I apologize to those who requested information about your MSA guitars which was contained in this same thread before it was moved to a new location. I was not aware they had been requested until now.

Also please forgive me if I respond to some of you twice.Hopefuly you agree two responses is better than no response at all.

Khoa....Serial number 2C6202 shows to be a walnut color Vintage XL model double 10 which left the factory with 9 pedals and 7 knee levers. It was originally shipped to Eckert Bros. Music. The production date of completion was not entered into record.

Jimmie M....SC780 is a rosewood SemiClassic which left the factory with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. Its original destination was our distributor in Chicago. Your guitar was born on June 28th 1973

Andrew K....Serial number 1S3680 is a black single 10 which left the factory with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. It also was originally shipped to a distributor in Chicago. Your guitar was born on October 25th 1974.

Dan N....Serial number 2C6314 is a double 10 SS guitar which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. The color was not entered into record. It was originally shipped to Louie Johnson Music. Your guitar was born on November 26th 1979.

Don L....Serial number 2C1494 is a double 10 rosewood which left the factory with 8 pedals and 2 knee levers. It was originally shipped to someone named Turner. Your guitar was born on October 26th 1973.

I appreciate all inquiries and again apologize for my delayed response. If I inadvertently left someone out, please post again I will be happy to respond.

Thank each of for playing an MSA.
Sam Rothwell

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2009 7:12 pm     New to me MSA S12U

Reece, I recently purchased an MSA s12U 7 x 5 from Mr. Todd Pertll of Austin. It's a wonderful guitar as was the first MSA D10 Supersustain II I bought new back in 1979. The serial number on the S12U reads 10109. Todd told me early 1970's, If it's not to much trouble, can you tell me when this was made? Thank you,

James S. Rothwell