| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BW speaker question
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 2:26 pm    

I have an 84 Nasville 400 with a 15 BW speaker(orginal). On the back of the speaker is a small grill with what looks like what might have been a dust cover inside. The dustcover floats around in there and I think it causes a little distortion. Can I remove the rear assembly from the speaker without damaging anything and remove the loose material? There are three large bolts in the back assembly. Thanks...Roger
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 2:49 pm     Yes!

Absolutely! You should pull the magnet off and get that deteriorated material out of there before it gets into the voice coil gap, it it hasn't already.
Take out the 3 bolts and gently lift the magnet off the basket.

Just take your time and be careful not to deform the voice coil, particularly during reassemby. Some info may be available from www.peavey.com regarding the procedure/

Use a credit card with masking tape exposed to clean out the magnet gap. If it has already gotten gummy, you can probably use some acetone, alcohol or naptha to clean up the mess. Your BW will most likely go on for many years after this treatment.

Some guys say use a piece of felt to replace the foam as a dust cover, but I just clean it up and I'm good to go!

Good Luck!
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 9:56 am    

Jerry, Thanks a million. I followed your instructions and my speaker is again alive and well. The remains of the foam was a gummy mess all down in the slot and around the cover I removed. I removed the circuit board and resoldered everything again, put it all back together, and it is the best it has sounded in years.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 12:55 pm    

That's great Roger. The credit card/tape tip came from Peavey.

Glad your 400 is up to snuff again.