| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Approachable" Adept "Steelies"
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 3:00 am    

All you have to do is take the first step. The adept concert "steelies" won't come to you for many reasons. In a crowded room, you're just another face reflecting the light with pearly white teeth. They usually reserve the right to be reserved until you open the conversation with interesting comments relating to the steel guitar. I would chance believing that the advanced concert player enjoys and expects to "meet" a few enthused fans at each show. Be wary of the curiosity seekers, nonplayers, and noncountry attendees, who take front row seats, and are the first to "spill" out in the direction of the artist during intermissions. It took some time and a few experiences to learn that lesson.

Edited to correct pronoun agreement.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 4 Aug 2007 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 5:16 am    

Quote:
They usually reserve the right to be reserved until you open the conversation with interesting comments relating to the steel guitar.

You are absolutely correct about this.
I have never had a problem with talking to a steel player, when they find out you play steel they seem to know that they have an allie present.

I've always been the same way.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 6:05 am    

Quote:
...and noncountry attendees, who take front row seats, and are the first to spill out in the direction of the artist

Bill, could you please explain what you meant by the above? Noncountry? Spill out?

Thanks and hi,
Jim
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 7:57 am    

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posing questions that I find interesting. Of course, even if you make it very clear that country is not your strongest pull in musical preferences, it pleases me to predict that many curious attendees do opt for front row seats. They'll squirm into position long before a manager in a bright blue suit steps on the stage to announce that they don't allow seat grabbers. If you doubt my word, visit the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Ma., known as the other Big (E). Watch for the M.C. in the blue suit and tie as he steps on stage to make belated announcements. I missed finding good seatings for Dotty West, George Jones, Marty Stewart, Connie Smith, and a long list of performances. My point by labeling certain individuals as "noncountry", is because in all probabilities, their favorite station on their car radio is not tuned to country music. As for spilling out in the direction of a popular steel guitarist, I envision a paunchy go-getter hunkering steadily in the direction of the staging area, while stoking a soda and a bag of popcorn. He's not the fastest to reach the entertainer, nor is he compelled to learn something new. He'll cling to a wide area near the performer, and attempt to converse about the familiar; "What is it", while knowledgeable visitors miss a chance of conversing. I just learned that the seats that were once free, are now priced at the $35 (thirty five) dollar range. It will be interesting to follow up on the changes, now that front row seats represent a difference in the weight of the wallet, after passing through the "gate".

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 4 Aug 2007 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 11:03 am    

Bill, I endorse what you say here 100%. My experience is, that the more of a pro that the steeler is, the more approachable he is. This held true for me on 2 occasions...In 1977 at the steel convention in St Louis, I literally bumped into my idol - Lloyd Green in the hallway. A more compassionate and nicer fellow you wouldn't want to meet. When I told him how much I enjoyed his music and what a great steel player he is, he actually got a little embarrassed and humbly thanked me for being so nice.

Five years ago I called him out of the blue, to ask about availability of dobros ..that took all of 3 minutes, then he kept ME on the phone for 45 minutes talking about his career, guitars, favorite ones etc. It was as if he really wanted to talk to me. I can say this without hesitation: In my 60 years here on earth, Lloyd is one of the top 5 people to make a lasting impression on me. A sincere person without pretenses, not big on himself despite his stature. He made a lasting impression and will be one of my favorite people always.

Bill, thanks for giving me the opportunity to say this
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 11:51 am    

Quote:
My point by labeling certain individuals as "noncountry", is because in all probabilities, their favorite station on their car radio is not tuned to country music.

there's alot to digest and try and understand in this thread..I admit I dont get it. You are upset because people who dont play psg are wanting to talk to psg players at shows? or are stealing your front row seats?

as far as the radio goes. I wish i could find a radio station that played country. The ones that claim to play country only play some sort of belt buckled ripped jean soft rock with goofy kindergarden lyrics ..that aint no country I know! consarnit! Mr. Green
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 12:24 pm    

Quote:
there's alot to digest and try and understand in this thread..I admit I dont get it

Welcome to the Hankey room
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 12:31 pm    

Bent R.,

Lloyd Green stands tall amongst the epitomes of steel guitar giants. His level of playing is everything an aspiring student of pedal steel guitar could hope for. His gentlemanly qualities are many times over reflected in his music.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 1:58 pm    

Quote:
I envision a paunchy go-getter hunkering steadily in the direction of the staging area, while stoking a soda and a bag of popcorn.

I envision a hot chick running up to me with a beer and her hotel room key after my performance...not some fat dude with a bag of popcorn...but then I'm a dreamer...not a realist.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 1:30 am    

Ben J.,

When I named the paunchy go-getter, I meant no harm. America is struggling with a basic ignorance that needs to be addressed. It's much like the paunchy go-getter who literally pushes and shoves to get his share of the pie, while disregarding the standards of maintaining good health. There may be more than elements of truth in trite sayings of scholars. I can think of two at the moment; "You are what you eat", and "Everything in moderation.

"Getting" back to the pedal steel guitar by moving away from health issues, is practiced throughout the industry. Good health and steel guitars are closely bonded. Regular practice is indicative of good health, and it furthers the high levels of enjoyment perceived through new studies.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 6:01 am    

Just when I decided to forever quit and stop reading Mr. Hankeys posts, they drag me back in. Wink
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 6:45 am    

Quote:
Good health and steel guitars are closely bonded. Regular practice is indicative of good health

Um, I would have guessed the opposite. The hours and hours for years and years of packaseat time is not conducive to good (physical) health, nor is hanging out in smoky bars until the wee hours drinking beer or other 'adult beverages' while on the gig, dragging your sorry butt home at 3 am and then going to your day job at 8 or 9am, etc. I'm betting (or am I projecting?) that this lifestyle leaves rather little time (or motivation?) for getting any regular exercise (sorry, lugging your gear into and out of the venue doesn't count), unless your day-job gives you that exercise.

I'm sure you'll tell me if your observations are different, but it seems to me that the average body weight of steel players is well above that of the general public, and of other musicians in general. (Interestingly, piano players have to spend as much 'chair time' as we do, mastering their instruments), but I don't see as many overweight pianists as I do steelers. Why do ya 'spose?*

* I apologize in advance if this post turns out to be somewhat 'off-topic' but since I couldn't quite discern what the topic was, I figured it was fair game. Wink
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 7:09 am    

Bo B.,

Thanks for your meaningful statement. When you consider that we are all connected by earthly matter, (I think), and will remain so until the end of time, the need for dissolving friendships goes beyond resolution. A friend is a person who is reciprocative on an equal basis, and also, one who will be there for you, whenever you call.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 7:46 am    

Jim C.,

I will be enjoying some salads shortly, but first I want to respond to your comment about practicing our instruments. You are the strong silent type whose demeanor smacks of intrepidness. I, for one, have been made wary by your exceptional prowess in mastering the steel guitar. Your comments here in this thread are another matter, as I find that your interpretation of what I've stated seems a bit off the mark. I'll be in New York State tonight, and will return to write more later.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 8:01 am    

If you approach a business professional as another business professional it's "LIKE MINDS"..

If you approach a Musician as a FAN of the Music it may NOT be like minds...it may come across as more groupie like..

If you approach a Musician as a fellow Musician , LIKE MINDS prevail.

Pedal Steel players would probably prefer to talk about 3rd string breakage than what it's like seeing the back of the star on stage !
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 11:13 am    

Tony P.,

When large crowds gather, there is a mix of personalities, which makes it difficult to zero in on patrons who care about who's playing that strange instrument, with 24 strings. With all the babblings of lifestyles unrelated to music, projected in a barrage of verbiage, chances are slim for finding someone to relate to. The conversations may cover everything from soup to nuts, but no steel guitar savvy. BTW, the shock absorbing "LUCKY 7", developed several years ago, is a perfect answer to avoiding routine string breakages. I tried to pass that on along with the tilted fretboard, that is the answer to limited visual placement of the "bar". Each time that I view the angled fretboard, I think that it's just a matter of time, and demonstrations, before the acceptance of the modification flourishes among builders of the steel guitars. A demo-booth would most likely achieve instant responses at steel shows. Gazing at the fretboard of conventional steel guitars has become a thing of the past. My HUF (Hankey Upright Fretboard) allows for 100% visual advantages, which in turn increases the pleasures of practice sessions, and performances. I may attempt to "smoke out" a few "die-hards" in the future, in places where "steelers" congregate.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 5 Aug 2007 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2007 11:38 am    

I'll settle for an over-enthusiastic groupie (female, please), and thank you very much. Wink
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 2:52 am    

Jim C.,

As I see from my perspective, you're much too settled into the better things in life, and the certainty of you getting involved with a "groupie" is unrealistic. I can't envision you and some scantily clad waterfront beauty, toweled, with sand between your toes, shivering in sea breezes, and jogging in the direction of lodging. That white circle on your left finger rules out any such act of daring. I'm aware that a man still has the right to dream.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 8:14 am    

Steel guitar playing promotes good halth?

I can't think of a supposition made around here lately with less evidence to back it up. I'm not arguing against it, as there's nothing to back an opposing viewpoint either - I just think it's a steement based on absolutely nothing.

As far as approaching musicians after shows, I find that only rarely do non-players want to monopolize the player's time; and if they do "say hi" they run out of subject matter quickly. I've had players obvously NOT want to spend time talking - but after a gig, many performers are trying to get the heck out of there and go home, to the hotel, bus, whatever. If they are curteous enoug to say hi, "thank you" to a compliment and smile that's all that should be expected. Anything more is really above the call of duty IMO.

The ones who ignore you completely or tell you to "bug off" either just aren't appreciative of who pays te bills, really - or perhaps they're just having a bad day. On the other hand, ones who will spend time showing you and instrument, even letting you play it, answer any questions, and then thank YOU for being so interested are a rare breed. A few I've encountered like that - Sneaky Pete, who spent 45 minutes or so with me crawling all over and under his guitar, and almost seemed disappointed whe I had to go; Albert Lee, who not only invited me to play his guitars but brought out some spares to show me; and the entire band Blue Rodeo, who insisted I come out back and jam on the tour bus.

The Sneaky and Lee situations were when I was a much younger, inexperienced player, and those things stuck with me - unless I have to be somewhere, I try to take as much time as I possibly can to answer questions and greet players (and non-players) after shows. The examples of kindness and respect I was shown are nice things to try to emulate.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 11:11 am    

Jim S.,

I view your response as one lacking in the usual inclination to make a strong argument. I'll stick by my original premises. Bon voyage Jim!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 11:14 am    

My comments were were aimed towards the conversation once you actually get to the person in your sights.
Jimmy Duvall

Farmington,New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 4:13 pm    

Over the last couple years I have been able to pass a note , or catch an eye and All have responded to me in my Hawiian shirt and Cowboy hat . Sometimes I get to go on the bus and share a bott;e of water and talk shop smetimes not . I must say that All have been great and so are their boss's .The Security people are the ones I have to 'sell' that I'm cool/with the act . The big grin helps too . Very Happy
Marc Mercer

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 10:33 am    

I don't know why I stumbled onto this thread, but I can honestly say it has been MOST entertaining, intentionally or not. Some of the posts brought tears to my eyes, but then again, I'm easily amused...

I wandered around a bit at work this morning with a mental image of "the paunchy go-getter" in my mind, and a colleague stopped me to ask, "What the heck are you grinning about?" Weird band names were running through my head, like "Paunchy Go-Getter and the Rippling Couch Potatoes." Smile