| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moving South
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 11:33 am    

My wife has taken a faculty position at Newberry College,Newberry ,S.Carolina...We'll be moving down the end of July ! I'll miss my local Forumites, but hope to meet all the players near my new home!, Well, back to packing(it's amazing how much you accumulate in 25 yrs)JS
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 11:04 am    

John, I will miss playing with you, but I envy you the move away from the stress and taxes of Central NJ. Best of luck, and congratulations to your lovely wife!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 3:48 pm    

John.

The best of luck to you and your wife in the environmental change. I haven't heard you play steel for quite some time. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Bill
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 3:54 pm    

Wow, steel guitar players do move around, don't they.

I have met two within the past month who have moved north from the grand ole US of A. One of them is a SG forumite (confesses to lots of reading but not posting very much) and the other is going to join when he gets settled in and hooked up.
Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 6:16 pm    

When you get settled - look us up!!!
Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association (MASGA)
www.masga.org
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Bruce Etter

Columbus, Georgia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 6:35 pm    

John:

I'm sure that you will enjoy it down here in South Carolina (especially the winter! Smile) I moved here from Iowa in 1999 and really enjoy living here.

Newberry, SC isn't very far from Saluda, SC where a PSG Convention is held 4 times a year. Watch the "Events & Announcements" section for the next show to be announced. All of the proceeds benefit the Shriner's Children's Hospital.

Feel free to e-mail me anytime at my e-mail address in my profile.

Bruce
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 7:02 pm    

Aaaaauuuughhhhhh!!!!
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 7:48 am    

Les, actually I've lived in NJ all my life, and 25 yrs in this house!...Moving Day is fast approaching..JS
Bob Smith

Allentown, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 3:24 am    

Hi John, I drove by your house this Sunday and saw the sign and the PODS. I was wondering what was going on? Its beautiful in SC!! Thanks for all the tips, lessons and help with the steel guitar through the years!! If you need a hand moving anything, let me know. Good luck in your move, and let me know how your doing down there. bob
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 3:42 am    

I guess Jim Cohen is the last one left in NJ ?

Jimbeaux, we still have approval for one or two more to come South...

but you better hurry up we may change our minds , it's only Tuesday..a lot can change by Friday..Smile

tp
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 4:22 am    

Thanks Tony, but I'm in a separate quota, since I live in Pennsylvania rather than NJ. Are there still slots left for Pennsylvanians down there too?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 5:18 am    

Jimbeaux, I knew that..Sad

When did they move Philadelphia out of NJ ?

Yes, there are a few slots left but the Pa. quota is declining as well..you may only have a few weeks to act..

tp
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 5:56 pm    

What the deal here John? You realize that this means a significant drop in the percentage of steel players per capita in NJ. I think it also means that the intelligence level in both states decreases.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 6:17 pm    

John, the pickers here in SOUTH Jersey will miss you. Enjoy the change is scenery and climate. Bo
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Sammy Turner

South Carolina, USA(Conway)
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 6:25 am     moving to sc

John ,you will love it in Newberry ,I grew up 30 min from thre &have known many people that went to college there,youwill be 45min from Cola SC,about 1hr from Greenville or Spartanburg,not far from the Ga border or NC borders .Fine friendly ,steelers are all around the area.There are several places (opry-type jams&shows)within an hours'drive.If you get to Myrtle Beach area,give Ben&me a chance to jam with you ,we keep 2steels,amps,bass,&guitars set up & ready to play,&have access to good singers here.Don't forget the Newberry Opera House (Herbie& other steelers get here to back up performers several times each yr)Enjoy &be Blessed,Sammy
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 7:21 am     Moving South

Hey, once you move below the snow belt you will love it. Teach your stell to sy ain't learn to eat grits and you'll be fine. Hey you were from South Jersey right You were already a southerner. The South is rising again. Cept we din't expect the rising to come from so far south and damn they sure speak southern
Wayne F. Smith

Bethlehem, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2007 10:17 am     Saluda show

John, I don't know if you are back on line or not, but just in case, I want to remind you of the Saluda show coming up this weekend Aug 11th and 12th. I am the staff bass player and am originally from NJ. Come on down and say hello. I think it's only about 20-25 miles for you.

Wayne Smith
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 9:14 am     moving

well....I also just moved from the country to the city....after 32 yrs...raising 4 kids...and lots of good memories...it was time for a change....we needed to be closer to things...docs...shops...movies...restaurants.....it was a necessary thing to keep peace in the family and make momma happy.....I was very nervous, but so far it has been great.....nice to go to a movie and be home in 10 minutes......not like the 1 1/2 hour drive to our country home....gonna keep the farm...need a place to go ride the massey ferguson and dig in the dirt....breathe some fresh country air...and shoot a deer....good luck to anyone making a move......it is a hard decision, but most things work out for the better.....good luck in your new area....the south is a nice place ...
ch
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 11:30 am    

I'll miss ya John! Good Luck in the new location and congrats to the spouse on the new post! I know she studied long n hard to earn it.