| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel Jerry Byrd Frypans
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 1:32 pm    

I've done a search on the Forum and found several discussions about these instruments, but very few listed for sale. Do they rarely come up for sale because no one wants to give up theirs, or are the production numbers just so low that there aren't many in circulation? Not that many come up on Ebay either. The few that I've seen have been listed at near new prices.

Lee, from South Texas
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 2:01 pm    

If I remember right, according to the agreement between Jerry Byrd and Shot Jackson, there was sposed to be just so many made in the short and long scale. Maybe something like 250 of each model. And then the mold was sposed to be destroyed.

However, from what I've heard, Shot continued to produce them without Jerry's approval and they wound up in a lawsuit over the matter.

I have one of the originals with a certificate of authenticity signed by both Jerry and Shot.

A very nice instrument.
Nathan Hernandez

Riverside, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 2:49 pm    

check the Excell websight.
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 5:48 pm    

I've read about the Shot Jackson frypans, Erv. I'm wondering about the ones that Fuzzy makes, in Japan. I've got an 8-string Excel and it is a very nice guitar. I just wonder why you don't hear about them much on the Forum.

Lee
Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 6:59 pm    

Hi Lee, I bought my short scale, 8 string Excel Jerry Byrd on eBay over a year ago on a fluke *Buy It Now* for $1050. I snapped up before any bids were made. I have not seen one on Ebay since. I am still a newbie but of all the steels I have collected over the past year, it has the best tone and great sustain. Slants are easy and have very clean intonation. My only complaint is the 8th string is so thick it causes buzzing of the 7th string and so I removed the 8th string and am looking for a replacement. I wish I could find a stand for it. I think Fuzzy makes them in Japan or can be ordered from Scotty's music. Oh yeah, it is compact enough to be carried on to the airplane too.

[This message was edited by Kris Oka on 11 October 2006 at 08:11 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2006 9:08 pm    

Irv, I think Lee was inquiring about the EXCEL frypan which is a different puppy than the Shot Jackson run. You are quite correct in regards to the Jackson models. The "deal" was for only 250 each of long and short-neck models to be produced, and once those were made, the moulds were to be destroyed. However, it appears Shot seemed to figure he knew a good thing when he saw it and deliberately broke the agreement much to the chagrin of Jerry. Furthermore, Shot went on to produce the identical guitar in a 10 string model, one of which I have. I also have the Shot JB-8 model with certificate.
Given my druthers, I think the EXCEL model is superior to the original JB model made by Shot.
http://www3.telus.net/public/lake_r/
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 3:07 am    

I think this will answer your ??? about the lack of the JB frypans for sale. Jerry offered to autograph the back plate for anyone that wanted it as long as they were the orig buyer. Jery did this with an engraving pen dated it and always wrote a small message and signed it. I am looking at one of his letters to me and at the time of the letter he had engraved 211 of the 250 short scales and 183 of the long scales. Most people treasure the instrument with the engraving and are prone to keeping theirs. CC
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 4:22 am    

cc - I think the ones signed by JB were from the Shot Jackson production, not the ones produced by Excel, in Japan.

Lee
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 6:32 am    

I know that this is off subject, but I also have a Jerry Byrd model Excel D-8 console steel that is very nice. It is short scale and done up in Rosewood. I wouldn't want to sell this guitar either.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2006 6:40 am    

Lee I was refering to the ones Shot made. I have never played an excel fry pan so I can't tell you anything about them. I have an excel JB model dbl 8 and Jerry seen to it that my pups were the same as on my JB frypan made by Shot. CC
Robert Salomone

Carefree, Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2006 1:41 am    

I beleive the Frypan copy you're looking for is the one made under the Sho-Bud label as a partnership between Jerry Byrd and Shot Jackson. These were available in long and short scale and limited to around 250 of each
and included a signed numbered certificate.

The Excels came later on from Japan.

I had one of the JB short scale ones listed here for a couple months, ended up putting it on Ebay and a nice gentleman from Brownsville, Texas bought it within an hour of it's listing.
Turns out he was in my father's Division and Company during WW2, 3rd Army, 80th Div,, 317th Co. Patton's "Ironmen"
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2006 4:36 am    

Robert - Was the one you sold an Excel (From Japan)? That's the model I'm inquiring about.

Lee
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2006 5:54 am    

As far as I know, Jerry only autographed the back plates of the ORIGINAL "Shot" series, and only if you removed the plate and sent it to him, which I did.
http://www3.telus.net/public/lake_r/
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2006 10:41 am    

Bump