| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Pedal Steel Should I get?
Steven King

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 2:32 pm    

Hi,

I'm new to the pedal steel world. I'm a serious full-time musician who is interested in bringing some pedal steel into the mix. I would like a solid pedal steel (not intro/beginner's crap)that will serve me throughout my career. I am willing to spend anywhere from $1000 to $1500, but I'm worried that I will outgrow the piece. Is it worth it to pay for for a better instrument? Please help me out!

Thanks so much!

Steven Very Happy

Last edited by Steven King on 12 Jul 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 2:42 pm    

Call Jim Palenscar down in Oceanside and he will fix you up!
JE:-)>
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 2:43 pm    

Single neck model definitely. It depends on how much you want to spend also. Any of the modern guitars today are pretty much trouble free. There are many used on the market.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 12 Jul 2007 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Jeffries

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 3:59 pm    

Check out the new Jackson "Blackjack" on the Jackson Steel Guitar website...you can order one with 3 pedals & 2 knee levers, or with 3 pedals & 4 knee levers. The blackjack is not just a "beginner" steel - it is a professional model, and in my opinion, very well made, real easy to play,and has great tone and sustain. The cost is really very reasonable, probably a good bit less than most used "pro" models, and you get a brand new steel with warranty. If you do a forum search under "Blackjack", you can check out the responses of some other members who have played this great guitar!
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 4:12 pm     S-10

Check us out at Carr's Steel Shop here in Mississippi. We can order you a new S-10 Fessenden on a single frame at a great price. 3 & 5, several mica colors available. If you want a armpad, S-10D, we can get that also in a Fessenden or a Magnum. Also, there's several nice used guitars available for a good price here on the forum.
John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 4:32 pm     A starter steel

I would have to second Jim Eaton's idea. Go to Oceanside ! Lots and lots to choose from. Get a PRO mdl. Used. Jim P. will make it play like new. And you save $$$. Very Happy

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 4:40 pm    

Go to Jim's place in Oceanside,he probably has a Dekley or some other well made pro model steel.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 4:44 pm    

Carter !!!

www.georgettejones.net
Silvio Bello

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 4:50 pm     What to buy?

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the Forum!
You'll find all of us very friendly...and some of us very knowledgeable...maybe even opinionated just a little! As far as stores, Jim's is a great find here in Ca., and if you're looking for lessons in the LA area, I strongly recommend John McClung, and Chris Burke.(Just don't let John's Double 12 Mullen w/10 pedals and 10 knees intimidate you!)He's a great teacher!
sb
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 6:39 pm     steel

Check With Bobbe Seymour At Steel Gutiar Nashville He Has Great Deals. His PH. Is (615-822-5555) SONNY.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 6:56 pm    

I was down at Jim's a few days ago and he just got in a drop dead gorgous golden blond lacquer MSA SD-12 that;s right in your price range.

The thing weighs a ton, but you'll never outgrow it.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 8:34 pm    

You should take a good look at the Carters as well, very well made and light guitar.

http://www.steelguitar.com/
Michael Strauss

Delray Beach,Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 9:01 pm    

Steven,

I don't know what kind of music you play. I'm no expert, but think that's the question people should ask. I'm new here and am learning. I've been a bass player for 35 years, so I've played quite bit in that time. My musical taste runs to Rock and Roll, Blues and some Jazz. After listening the very knowledgable people here, I decided on U12 (I got a Carter). Yes, this guitar is way above my skill lever, but I know when I get there the Carter will ready for me too.

If you are thinking of a 12 or a S10 or a D10. check out Carter, Anne and John are amazing people. You will not be disapointed!!

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 9:02 pm    

I like my used Carter. I'd buy another used one. I doubt that I'd ever buy another NEW steel.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2007 7:29 am     Adding to John Jeffries Comment

John J. spoke about the Jackson Blackjack model.
The one thing that I wanted to point out about a change with the knee levers that in the FAQ section from the Jackson website you see this, and I quote...
"Why did you stop offering the self-installed knee pedal kit as an option on the BlackJack?
There was too much confusion on the self-installation of the knee kits. We were trying to save the customers some money by offering this option but realized in the long run it will cost more for many people, due to the fact they would have to send the guitar back to the factory to get the knee kits installed if they were unsuccessful. We could not insure that the self-installations were done correctly."

Now, they offer only what they call a "full house" model that has the three floor pedals and 4 factory installed knee levers.
It is still a great deal for under $1500, and that would be with a case.
995 (steel guitar) + 300 (two additional knee levers factory installed) and 195 (case). I am not sure about the shipping or tax.
I have heard nothing but praise upon praise about these instruments.
Yes, I have one ordered, and will give a better review when I hear it in person.

Dave
Harvey Richman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2007 12:39 pm     What guitar

Hello Steven, and welcome to the forum. You've already gotten alot of good advice. Everyone has their favorite brands but sounds like a modern (Carter, GFI, etc.) S-10 or SD-10 with 3 pedals and 4 or 5 knees might be the thing for you.

Best Regards
Harvey
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 1:11 am     Re: What Pedal Steel Should I get?

Try Carter !!!

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

Carter and Sho-bud universals www.mickybyrne.com
Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 4:48 am    

I believe your comment about beginner guitars is unfair.Maybe this is based on nothing more than others opinions.
My first guitar IS STILL the Carter Starter.
It has served me well into it's 6th year now !
Stays in tune and shows minimun wear throughout the
mechanics.
Yes , I do have a couple of pro models that are my main tools , but if weather conditions or any other compromised elements of a gig are a concern, I DO NOT hesitate on taking the Carter Starter.
By far this was the best value out there for me and I am proud to continue to own and play it. It is a workhorse and has served my needs very well.

Good Luck,
Rodney

---Will Rogers---
A. Roncetti

Toronto,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 6:18 am    

Fessenden!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 12:03 pm    

consider the Fessenden, in time your ears will probably not care for an MSA or Dekley
Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 1:25 pm     Which steel ?

The question reminds me of a boy asking which girl should he marry.

No one knows until the product is tried for a year and even then there may be many unknowns.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2007 9:06 pm    

What pedal steel should you get? Honestly, I don't know and I doubt anybody else does either. You can certainly get a pro-model single-10 or even single-12 steel in your price range - there are certainly options in used steels, and maybe even a few in new steels. But this instrument can be bewildering if you haven't had a chance to think it through.

My suggestions are that you

1. Go somewhere where you can try out a bunch of different ones in a relaxed atmosphere with someone who knows and cares both about steel guitars and steel players, who can and will give you benign guidance. There are a several across the country - some have already been mentioned, and you clearly have a couple in the SoCal area.

2. Be patient. It may take time to find something that plays well and sounds the way you want it to. Don't settle for an instrument that is hard to play and will inhibit learning - this thing is hard enough even with a good instrument.

3. As you get a little experience in your search, ask more pointed questions here. I think Robert is right - this thing is manifold in its complexity.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2007 5:27 am    

I agree with Dave M.
Go somewhere where you can try several out first.
All steels have their own feel to them so you should find something that fits you.
In your price range you may find a good used steel, but I suggest you don't buy unseen or played or at least sat at and fooled with the pedals and knee levers first.
I had a student who has a GFI and although it is a very well made steel and sounds nice I had trouble with the knee placements compaired to my Emmons.
My advice check it out first before you plunk down your cash.
Don

Last edited by Don Sulesky on 16 Jul 2007 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2007 7:45 am    

Dave and Don offer the best advice of all. Go to a steel guitar store where you can try out several guitars. You'll be able to ask questions and get solid advice. Everyone has their favorite type of guitar, sound quality, mechanical design, construction materials, etc. But YOU are the one who has to live with it! The proprietor will help you make an informed decision that you will be happy with for years to come. And you'll have someone to confer with in the future, should you have more questions about the guitar.

You will be most satisfied with a guitar YOU like, and feel comfortable playing. And buying from a steel guitar store means you can have it adjusted to fit your body size and physical needs before you take it home. THAT'S a big deal.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2007 8:08 am    

Check out the New Rittenberry thread on here.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.