| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaii Calls with Webley Edwards
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 1:25 pm    

Any body know if there is a book or unpublished text on the radio show? I see now that there are several website about the Hawaii Calls show and one that is playing old shows. I know who the steel players were and have seen several pictures, but it would be a good idea to write a book on the subject if not already done. Thanks for the help. Duane Becker
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 3:04 pm    

A book, a movie, a re-creation...

Indeed, this is a prime subject that's been ignored for much too long, similar to the story behing The Maddox Bros. and Rose.
As in each case, there are still players and personel from the latter day's of their respective historic runs, that are still alive and able to contribute personal memories and facts.
But, those opportunities are fading as fast as WW2 vets.

A dream would be to see the old Kodak Hula Show and Hawaii Calls combined into a first rate show and staged at the Natatorium at Queens Beach in Waikiki at sunset.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 3:44 pm    

Ron, I see that your location is Hawaii, do you see any historical items or do any museums, tourist traps over there mention the radio show? My sister in law and husband spend several months each year in Hawaii and they have never heard of the old Hawaii Calls radio show. Kind of a shame.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 3:48 pm    

The occassional stage shows presented at places like The Hawaii Theater like to use the theme to envoke memories and catagorize the style of presentation, but that's about it these day's.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 6:02 pm     You didn't ask................but

Duane you didn't specifically ask.........however

I ran across, somewhere, an outfit that has quite a bit of Hawaii Calls recordings........now on CD.

Perhaps someone else has more details on this if you're interested.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 6:10 pm    

Ray, there is a website that is replaying the old broadcasts. Right now they are playing a 1962 show. The website is: www.hawaiian-music.com/radio/index.html

But I'd still be interested in the cd release. Thanks
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 6:49 pm    

I also think it would be safe to say that the old radio show, Hawaii Calls, was the father of heavy reverb on the steel guitar.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2007 9:14 pm    

There have been a number of attempts to revive HAWAI'I CALLS. I have one tape in which Alan Akaka is the steel guitarist on a "Hawai'i Calls" show which was broadcasted, (probably only locally) from Mau'i. The best attempt to revive the old show was done by Bill Bigalow who used Nina Kealiiwahamana as the program director. Bill had Barney Isaacs playing steel on the earlier shows until Barney could no longer carry on due to illness. That's when Casey Olsen was hired. Money, (or actually the lack of it), caused the demise of Bill's show. The "replica" shows of Bigalow were quite good, however they lacked the many musicians (larger group) which Webley had on the original shows. Also, Bigalow ran into a legal problem using the "Hawai'i Calls" name which necessitated a new name for the show. It became "The Sounds of Aloha"....format never changed, only the title.

Last edited by George Keoki Lake on 12 Jul 2007 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Allen Roy

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2009 9:09 am    

I have started research for a biography of Webley Edwards with a history of Hawaii Calls. I'd like to talk to anyone who remembers the program. Thanks.

Allen Roy
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 2:30 am    

Local ethnomusicologist and entertainer Aaron J Sala is putting together a book on the subject. Look for it soon.
Allen Roy

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 9:29 am    

I've been talking with Aaron. I look forward to seeing his Masters (PhD?) thesis. In an email he said,

"In a really small nutshell, I'm looking at the music of HC as a reflection of Hawaiian Identity through the hapa haole era--issues of indigeneity, colonization, etc."

This will, of course, be of special interest to ethnologists and musicologists. I expect to find some very interesting material to quote.

My biography focuses on Webley Edwards and by extension onto Hawaii Calls.