| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  15' spkrs for 65 RI Fender Twin Reverb?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2007 1:01 pm    

Has anyone tried using two 15" speakers, using two cabs, one speaker in each one? Just wondering if that would work in place of the two 12's in one cab. I would think that the 15" speaker would give a little more range than a 12". That way I could have one speaker on each side of the stage.

Any advise or comments welcome.

Geo
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2007 1:21 pm    

Aye, that should would work for sure! Smile

Dinna cuist awa the cog whan the cou flings
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 6:55 am    

Fender makes a reissue Twin Reverb with a 15" speaker. I think it is called the "Custom" Twin Reverb. I have one in addition to an original 1967 Twin Reverb with factory JBL speakers.
This is a special amp also, a hernia special! Very Happy
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 1:48 pm    

I have two 15" 8 ohm JBLs in modified Marrs cabinets that I run into a Y adapter and then into the 4 ohm internal speaker jack of either a Dual Showman Reverb (same as a silver-face Twin), a Vibrasonic Custom (about the same as a '65 RI Twin), or a Super Twin Reverb, all in head cabinets. This method of creating a parallel circuit for the 8 ohm speakers gives the 4 ohm load the amp wants to see. You could do the same thing with a Twin by either having no internal speakers, or by running the parallel circuit to a single internal 15" and one external 15". I also have a silver-face Pro Reverb that has a 15" JBL that was reconed for 4 ohm impedance. This works okay for the 60 watt Pro, but a single JBL in a 100 watt Twin would not be such a great idea. But of course a more heavy duty speaker such as a Black Widow could easily handle it. I would not characterize it as giving more range than 12" speakers, but the 15s have a different voice - there is actually a little less range on top, which gives the highs a thicker, less shrill sound. And two 15s sound glorious with a Twin type amp.