| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  70's Japanese Banjos
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 9:05 am    

I've been considering getting a banjo Laughing and it seems like one of the Japanese models from the 70's might be good value. I don't know that much about these things, but my impression is that many of the Japanese banjos from the 70's were clones of the Gibson RB-250 or Mastertone banjos. So, what can you all tell me about these things? After looking at Ebay and on various websites, it seems like the most common brands are Alvarez, Aria, and Iida. What brand made the best banjos? Which one comes closest to the real deal of the Gibson?

Thanks!
Cliff
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 9:29 am    

Cliff, it really doesn't matter a hoot where the banjo, or any other instrument for that matter, was made unless the thing is a complete dud, it is the player that makes the instrument.

I have a frowned upon Japanese steel guitar brand that gets ire responses in here; however, I have had more than a few long time steel guitarists who loved it's sound after they had a chance to actually play it or heard it being played.

What I would suggest however is that you do not buy the banjo sight unseen. It's no different that buying a car or a pair of shoes. The banjo will have to fit "YOU" and your ears.

Last edited by Les Anderson on 3 Jul 2007 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 9:37 am    

Thanks for your sound advice, Les. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too many of them things here in L.A.
Gary Pederson

Van Nuys, Ca.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 12:18 pm    

Hi Cliff
My wife has Aria banjo. The banjo instructor at the Blue Ridge Pickin Parlor, Bill Knopf, told her it was one of the better Japanese banjos. Your welcome to come by & try it. I live in Van Nuys.
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 3:24 pm    

Cliff,I bought a new Alvarez 5 string in 1971 for $200.After a friend set it up and tweaked it for me,it became a pretty fair banjo for the money.I played it for 2years and got my money back when I sold it.It wasn't a Gibson by any means,but it got the job done.As I recall,the neck was very narrow and string spacing was a little too close.I think that helped me,though.Kind of like learning to shoot pool on a snooker table.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 4:37 pm    

I used to pick some with a guy who had an Iida archtop. Man, that thing sounded good. LOUD, too!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 5:09 pm    

I bought a used Epiphone 5-string banjo (Japanese, I'm sure) in 1975. It was quite nice. It wasn't fancy, but it had a good sound, nice action, and was very well made.

Lee, from South Texas
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 6:15 pm    

I was given the job of picking out a banjo as a gift for a friend last year, so I combed the music stores pretty extensively looking for the best new $500 banjo I could find.
The winner was a very plain but great sounding Gold Tone. They have alot of different models, and I was really impressed with the sound and feel of them for the money. You might want to check them out.
-John
p.s. I don't know where they're made.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 1:33 am    

I used to have an excellent Ibanez copy of a Mastertone. I sold it because I play frailing style and needed an open back instrument.

The fellow who bought it also plays steel and recently joined this forum, but I don't want to out him as a b*n*o player.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 7:04 am    

I have a B-12 Washburn that I bought around that time which is a very nice sounding banjo for under $500 at that time.
Don
Cliff Kane

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 7:24 am    

Thanks for all the good advice. Sounds like people are pretty happy with these instruments. Gary, thanks a lot for your offer.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 10:25 am    

I have a Gold Tone too...I think it's the best banjo you can buy for the price.

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2007 12:27 pm    

Cliff, there's an Alvarez for sale right now on the Forum "Instruments for Sale" section. I believe he wants $700 for it. I used to have an Alvarez "Silver Princess" 5 string which was a very ornate open back model which I added a ring and resonator to. It was a very nice sounding banjo. I gave it to my daughter as she was learning and got to the point that she needed a better instrument. I wish I had it back.........JH in Va.

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 7:57 am     Oh No!!!!!!!!!

You guys are courting disaster from b0b; throwing the "B" word around here. Wink
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 9:15 am    

I do some jamming with a blue grass bunch on Thursday evenings and they have "B" player who has a talent beyond talent. He has a remarkable understanding of tone pitch and can blend that banger of his in with about any instrument you throw at him.

I don't mind playing along side of him at any time. He is a joy to jam with.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2007 10:11 am    

The best banjo of that period was the Goldstar, which was quite a bit better instrument than the Mastertone of the same period (Tom Adams still plays one, and I believe J.D. Crowe dabbled with them- he had a signature model). The bad news is that the current price reflects that quality.

The Iida's of the same period, and most of the other "Masterclones" were indeed Mastertone knockoffs of the then current Mastertones, but the Gibson banjos of that period tended to be pretty marginal professional instruments, and the Japanese copies are similar or worse. I have a Japanese Epiphone Masterclone of that period, which sits in my office as a practice instrument, in large part because if it was stolen, I wouldn't be that sorry.

I have a closet full of Mastertones of various vintage. If I were looking for a banjo currently, I think the best deals on very playable toys are the reissue Goldstar, and the new Recording Kings. Try Turtle Hill Banjo or Janet Davis Music (though JDM may be kind of the WalMart of banjos). And the prices aren't too different new than some of the older ones being touted used.

Good Luck.

KP