| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud restoration phase 1
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2007 2:09 pm    

Here is another 'Bud getting the Coop treatment. This was a 3X3 in January. It has Coop super fingers and 2 Coop levers... LKV and LKR. I replaced the dustcatcher with a Coop white fretboard. The 4th pedal came from Forum buddy Phil Sterk... plus a couple of parts from Duane Marrs (cross shaft, pullers, etc... ) New TrueTone @ 17K. Really light aluminum legs from Sam Gibson. I did a bit of retouching on the lacquer and buffed it up a bit. I didn't want to do an entire refinish.... I like a bit of lacquer checking.

Like others before me, I can't believe how great this axe plays and tunes with the Coop parts... I intend to replace all of the parts with Coop stuff.... it just wasn't in the budget right now.

It was a bit tight getting 4X5 under there, but I had lots of great help from everyone involved... thanks!

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2007 4:33 pm    

Sweeeet!! How do you like the tone now that you have the superfingers? Mine actually got better--kinda like your almost in the guitar.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2007 5:13 pm    

Ah, that's nice. I like the way you artfully squeezed everything in there, especially the knee changes in between the pedal changes. Very cool.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2007 5:27 pm    

Thanks, Chris... there is no template for this, so it took a bit of trial and error ( and close consultation with Coop) to come up with something that works. I don't think that there were any factory 4X5 S-10 Buds. I want to mess around with some more half stops and splits to get it really tweeked up.

James.... I might not have done this, except for the fact that this guitar had the pot metal fingers... which would eventually wear out. I am really glad that I did. The tone is so much better now... right up there with my '73 LDG's. I am amazed at the way that this changer pulls and returns to pitch. It is nice to have a source for really accurate fretboards too.

So now I have a modern mid 70's Sho~Bud.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2007 10:04 am    

I had a couple of emails asking for a picture of the changer endplate.... so here it is.

This was a double raise-single lower changer originally, John had to mill the opening out slightly to accommodate the double/double of the Super Finger changer....

From recent posts, it looks like a lot of us are Coopizing our 'Buds.