| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is the best way to tune the eb 2nd string on a P/P?
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2007 4:39 pm    

Hi everyone,
I am sure that this has been covered before but I cant find it.

On the second string of my Emmons, do I tune it open at the head stock, then tune the full step down,the c# at bottom hole and then tune the 1/2 step d, at the top hole?

It works ok but doesn't seem that solid when I lower all the way? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance

Kirk
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2007 8:57 pm    

Tune the 1/2 step at the bottom hole, then tune the full step at the top hole, ie the hole nearest the top of the guitar.

This is assuming that the 2nd string is not raised at all.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2007 9:44 am    

If you are set up with a spring attached to the 2nd string raise finger, pulling it all the way up, and the lowering rod with no collar pushing the raise finger back you can tune to D and C# at the changer.

Or you can lower the 2nd string to a D (as normal, with a collar on the lowering rod) and pick up the 9th with a 1/2 stop adjuster on the swivel to take them both to C#. The return spring on the 9th string can be pulled tighter to give a nice 1/2 stop feel. You tune the C#'s at the changer but you have to reach under the guitar to tune the 1/2 stop.

Both methods have worked for me but with the second you still have the option of also raising the 2nd string.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2007 1:59 pm     2nd String Lower

I use Peter's first method on my guitars. Also, I raise the 4th string on the back neck with the RR knee lever. It has a 1/2 tone tuner because I have the standard full tone raise on pedal 4. They all seem to work together very well to give me a nice half stop feel on string 2 when strings 9 and 4 engage. Perhaps I'll experiment with raising the 2nd string though, as I've heard there are some good licks using that change.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2007 2:21 pm    

Kirk, tune the open string to Eb with the tuning key.
tune the C# note with the top allen screw, then tune the D with the bottom allen screw if it is set up like it came originally with the spring pulling against the raise finger pulling the raise finger up against the stop. The push rod pushes thru the lowering finger and pushes the raise finger back against the bottom tuning screw for the D note then added pressure pushes the whole assembly back to the top tuning screw which you tune that note with the top allen screw.
Jerry
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2007 10:25 pm    

Jerry,
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Yes, first tune Eb at the keyhead, but the next step must be to tune D at the bottom hole, then, when the whole assembly moves, tune C# at the top hole.

Your method will work, as long as the string gauge is the same every time.

If the player decides to use a different string gauge, and tunes the lowest note before tuning the semi-tone note, there will be problems, because the whole assembly will not start moving until the raise finger has connected with the semi-tone screw.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2007 10:01 am    

Richard, of course you are so right if the top tuning screw is out far enough so as to not lock up the assembly. I am not even sure that is possible with the length of the original tuning screws. However, with things like hysteresis going on I find it necessary to backtrack and tweek a few times anyway so the initial sequence is not that important. My point was to make certain that Kirk knew that the bottom hole is for the D note and the top hole is to tune the C# as I think he had that backwards.
Jerry
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2007 4:48 am    

Gents,
Thanks so much for the info. My Emmons was in a flood and I thought she was a goner. Thanks to both of you and many other guys on the forum she is back in action and has never sounded better!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Kirk

Very Happy
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com