| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pull Release Changer Design
Randal Smith

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 5:21 pm    

I'd like some feedback about this changer I've come up with. I won't say for sure that I'm the first to do something like this, but I didn't copy any design that I know of. I made this one up comepletely out of my head, and yes, I was out of my head when I came up with it. The only drawback I can see is that as it sits, it's only a single lower. That could probably be changed with a bit of tinkering. I'm really thinking of using this for an E9th 3 floors, 4 knees sort of setup.

BTW, any string not lowered would be tuned at the Lower Adj. Screw.

I'm not a machinist or manufacturer, so anybody wanting to have a go at building this thing, feel free. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
Ron !

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 5:38 pm    

There are guitars build like this Randall.Do a forum search and they will pop up on your list.

Ron
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 7:23 pm    

Randal, you just solved one of my brain storm ideal's problem. Thanks,

Tony
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 7:27 pm    

Isn't this design somewhat similar to the Jackson mechanism?

http://www.jacksonsteelguitar.com/heads.cfm#
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 4:04 am     Humm?

With both ends of the string hooked to a changer mechanism, where in the heck do you tune the basic note at??

Ernie
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 4:33 am    

The Jackson is different. The one I saw (Charlie Tryon's) has tuning keys like the Hipshot (Drop D) tuners that guitar players use to drop the low E to D (I've got one on my Tele).
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 4:43 am    

I see the difference now. It's not a nylon tuner design. The raise on the changer end and lower on the keyhead end reminded me of the Jackson on first glance.
Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 6:27 am    

Randal, I see two problems with this design - besides the fact that it is only a single lower changer.

1. The lower tuning screw takes the full force of the string tension. A nylon hex tuner would probably not work. You'd need a pretty tight self-locking nut to keep the unlowered finger in tune.

2. On a guitar with the changer on the right end (all-pull, push-pull), when you change a string, the raises and lowers only need a minor touch-up to be in tune. On your design, changing a string that is lowered requires a total re-tuning of the lower, because the distance of the lowering finger from the lower tuning screw can change drastically.

Both problems could be overcome if the set screw in the lowering finger that holds the string were a "gearless" tuner. The top of the finger would have to be fatter to accommodate such a tuner. The guitar could be tuned to pitch without affecting the lowers. The lowering finger would also need a stop block behind it to hold it in place. The additional advantage: either the raise or the lowering finger (or both) would always be in contact with the guitar body.

I hope all of this makes some kind of sense. Wink

Rainer
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 6:34 am    

Didn't bossan guitars have a design like that, raise on one end and lower on the other.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 12:00 pm     Yes!!

Zane Beck made one with the lowers on one side & the raises on the other, It also had a way of tuning the open note on one end or the other, its been awhile since I have seen one. There is one here in my area that I know of, a BMI single neck.

Ernie Pollock
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Randal Smith

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 4:45 pm    

Thanks guys. I appreciate the ideas. To try and answer some of your questions:

Tony, you're welcome. Glad to help.

Ernie, the basic note tunes at the hex nut on the lower rod if you're lowering the string. Otherwise it tunes at the Lower Adj. Screw.

Chris, actually it is a nylon tuner design. However Rainer brought up an interesting point. See below.

Rainer, thanks for pointing out the problem with the nylon hex nut. I hadn't thought of that. However, I'd still like to try it. Those nylon nuts can take quite a bit of tension. A steel nut with a nylon or teflon washer might also work. As for the other problem, you're absolutely right. But I was trying for a simple mechanism that could possibly be made by hand or with simple power tools. The gearless idea is a good one, though. Maybe I can come up with something. This is why we tinker. Smile

Ernie, I'd love to see a picture of that BMI, if possible. Might give me another idea.

Thanks again, y'all.
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 5:43 pm    

Oh, I was looking at the adjustment screw...........hell, I just play these damn things. Why do I pretend to know how they work? I'm signing out. Smile