South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 8:54 pm    

How do you do them on a Steel guitar???
Thanks for the help!

Dave
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:34 pm    

I use the edge of my palm, 12 frets up from where my bar is.
I have found that I can position my palm by looking where my thumb is, ie when my thumb is over the 13 fret, my palm is 12 frets up from the eighth fret.

So, if I am in the key of C, I will bar at the eighth fret, run my thumpick along the strings at the 13th fret, at the same time my palm will be lightly touching the strings at the 20th fret.

Watch my video here and at about 30 seconds you can see my technique
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:50 pm    

How do I do them? Very badly Smile
I guess you are asking how to perform the operation as opposed to asking how each player does it.
There are several waye to achieve the chime.
If you are on the third fret with the bar you can lightly touch the string at the fifteenth fret with the tip of your fourth finger and at the same time pick the string with your thumb pick.
You can also use the fingernail of your fourth finger to touch the string as you are picking.(that is the face of your nail,not the tip)I believe Paul Franklin does this a lot.
Probably the most common method is to lightly touch the string,or strings with the fleshy edge of your right hand whilst picking.
Another method is to use the second joint of the little finger whilst holding your hand like a fist,with the thumb extended to pick the string.
Most of the time I use the edge of my hand but if I feel lucky I use the joint of my little finger.
Like anything related to steel,it takes a lot of practise to get it down.
Good luck.
Billy
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 3:58 am    

You can see Paul's technique here round about 4:34.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0wkWgNqkWU

Arch.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 6:18 am    

I use the pinky of my right hand, touching the string at the harmonic point. Then I pick the string with my thumb. Probably not the best way, but it's easy.

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 7:03 am    

I usually get someone else to play them for me. Smile
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 7:28 am    

Quote:
I use the pinky of my right hand, touching the string at the harmonic point. Then I pick the string with my thumb. Probably not the best way, but it's easy.

me too bOb, but I was wondering how one gets multiple simultaneous or strummed harmonics with this method? I've tried palm and laying the ring finger down flat as well but neither really worked well for me.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 10:12 am    

I use the pinky knuckle for two-part harmonies.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 11:09 am    

David,Walmart sells a Hee-Haw video that has a Bill Anderson song that features Ron Elliot?I'm pretty sure that it's him... doing some beautiful harmonics,and they zoom in on him during the solo and it makes everything easy to see.Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 12:48 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
David,Walmart sells a Hee-Haw video that has a Bill Anderson song that features Ron Elliot?I'm pretty sure that it's him... doing some beautiful harmonics,and they zoom in on him during the solo and it makes everything easy to see.Stu

Is this it?
www.timelife.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=517
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 5:15 pm    

Ben, I never been very good at it, but Ben Lawson showed me how to do 2 & 3 note harmony chimes using the heel of the palm lightly against the strings at the harmonic fret and using thumb & 1 or 2 finger picks at the same time. With practice it works, and is real sweet sounds. Cool
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 6:09 pm    

Bob,I'll get all of the info by tomorrow..My neighbor has and I'd hate for someone to buy the wrong one.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.