| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Lawrence Pickups
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2007 10:59 am    

It would be great to see these pickups back on the market again. This is the one with the 2 blades visible from the top. Very Happy I bought one back in 1981,and installed it in a Sho~Bud LDG that I owned then,and it sounded great!!! Very Happy Cool
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2007 5:17 pm    

Hey Kenny, sounds like the 705. My JCH came with a generic BL 705, a black band around the coils instead of chrome. I sold it , I wish now that I hadn't. I'd love to try a 705 in my guitar.
I played for Ray and Ruby Cook not too long ago and tell the Murphy's I said hello. I always enjoyed playing for them.

Tony
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 4:31 pm    

Hey Tony! Very Happy The 705 BL Pickup is the one.I haven't seen Ray,and Ruby for a little while. Had dinner with the Murphys this past Friday. Rick sure knows how to fix a roast.I'll tell them you said hello.You knew that Ruby is Rick's aunt? Very Happy
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 4:31 pm    

Hey Tony! Very Happy The 705 BL Pickup is the one.I haven't seen Ray,and Ruby for a little while. Had dinner with the Murphys this past Friday. Rick sure knows how to fix a roast.I'll tell them you said hello.You knew that Ruby is Rick's aunt? Very Happy
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 6:11 pm    

Shocked Guys do you suppose the ''NEW'' one that i have had for around 20/25 years still in the box is a 705 ? It has never been installed in any guitar . Should i try to sell it or install it in one of my guitars ??? Humm ??? G.P.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 6:39 pm    

Gary, It's a keeper! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 6:40 pm    

You need the Sho~Bud mount. Very Happy
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 9:20 pm    

Mount it!

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 9:45 pm    

Hey, Kenny,
How are you? I had a long conversation with Dean Holman about p/u's a few days ago and I remembered playing a Zumsteel of his on a recording session in Branson, MO a few years ago and he had one of those BL 705 "look alikes" and it sounded great. He told me that Bill Lawrence had sold the schematic...or whatever it would be called... to a guy in CA...I believe. He also told me the other day that the guy...don't know his name...is still making the pickup. So it's evidently exactly like a 705. It had the black band around it like Tony described. I think whoever is making them is dropping the ball by not making them available here on the Forum. That p/u is such a sought after item and with MOST every steel player's never ending search for tone....it would be a BIG seller I feel.

I'll call Dean back and get the guys name. He said he had it, but not with him at the time, and I'll try and see if he would mind me posting his info here on the Forum.

Stay tuned!............(to somebody in your band!)

Tim
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 8:01 am    

I would be interested to know from those who've experienced both how the Lawrence 710, which is currently being produced, compares, tonewise, to the 705.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 8:07 am    

My 81 Franklin D-10 came with Lawrence 705's. I changed them to the Lawrence 710's about 7 or 8 years ago. The only difference I could hear was there seemed to be better string separation with the 710. I had the same Franklin tone with both.

If you listen to Paul Franklin's recordings you don't hear any difference but some of his guitars have the 705's and some have the 710's, according to his Dad.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2007 6:20 pm    

Hey Tim,
Great to hear from ya'. Very Happy Doing pretty good.Yeah, get the info on the pickups if you can. I wouldn't mind having one,or two,and putting it in my Zum. Joe Adams has them in his orange Zum,and it really sounds great. Very Happy Cool