| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bloody Mary Morning - Willie Nelson
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 9:57 am    

Years ago, I had an 8-track tape which was a compilation of country songs. It included Willie Nelson's version of "Bloody Mary Morning." I remember there being a really hot C6th solo which sounded a lot like Buddy Emmons. I was thinking about that the other day, so I downloaded the track from iTunes. There were a number of versions, most of them live, but I bought the one that sounded like the old compilation tape. As it turns out, the one I downloaded had a cool steel solo, but it was an E9th solo -- not the one I remembered. Does anyone know the solo I'm talking about and which album it would have come from? Thanks, Boo
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:25 am    

As I recall, Jimmy Day played on some of Willie's old recordings from back in those days.
Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:31 am    

I had that album--it's John Hughey on that solo....
Curry
Mike Phillips

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:33 am    

boo --

i have that on Phases and Stages, which is a studio album (almost a concept record) and i think it is john hughey on that record. it's a good one through and through. i dunno if that track is a C6 one or not.

hope that helps.

i'll take this opportunity again to tell you that your playing and tone on the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack is really sweet.

mike
Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 10:39 am    

I know there's an earlier version of that song on an older RCA album by Willie, and I THINK it had Jimmy Day on it though I'm not sure (and don't remember the name of the album, one of many I wish I still had!).

The John Hughey solo on the "Phases and Stages" version is one of my all time favorites...
Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 11:00 am    

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have to go back to iTunes -- I think I downloaded the track from "Phases and Stages" and it's not the solo I was thinking of (although it's a really great solo!) My memory could be completely off but I remember some cool bar bouncing with open strings.

Mike, thank you so much for the kinds words -- they're greatly appreciated.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 11:22 am    

Boo,
You may be thinking of "Sister's Coming Home" on the same album. Hughey does a neat C6th solo on that one.
Jack
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2007 1:29 pm    

John Hughey is the steel player on album "Phases and Stages" and plays the (C-6th)on "Bloody Mary Morning." Hughey plays great steel throughout the record including great C-6th on "I'm Falling In Love Again." This particular song is a primer in how to play major seventh chords. "Phases & Stages" was recorded in 1974 in Muscle Shoals. On the sessions, the musicians sat around in a circle facing each other. This one of the best Country albums ever and also one of the best steel albums, too.
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2023 1:23 pm    

By chance has anyone tabbed the Hughey solo?. Sounds like it starts out on the E9 18th fret using A+F
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2023 10:53 am    

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=willie+nelson+phases+and+stages+full+album

To many Jersey guys on here!!!! I've got to escape.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2023 11:49 am    

New Jersey and the Northeast has always been a strong market for music including country music. The entertainment business was highly organized, which meant dates were solid, entertainers and musicians paid, no hassles, and zero theft. One New Jersey steel player, Butch Natale, who worked clubs in Jersey & NYC in the 70s and could have played anywhere.

New Jersey was also a steady market for artists nationwide. Here are a few ads just from the Copa Club in Secaucus in '61 - '65.'

As far as steel players working out of Nashville, Texas or California, a quick search turns up Sonny Curtis w/ Jones, Jimmy Day w. Price, Ben Keith or Dickie Overby w/ Faron, Don Helms w/ the Wilburns, Tom Brumley w/ Buck, and Leon McAuliffe and The Cimarron Cowboys. Both Walter Haynes and Emmons worked dates with Dickens in 1955 at county fairs and on the Jersey shore.

On October 10, 1960, you could have seen King Curtis and The Kingpins at The Bankers Club and the next night caught George Jones and The Jones Boys at the Copa.

and '62.