| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Reese.. MSA MFG Date
John Pape

Rochester, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2007 6:09 am    

Hi Reese
I just acquired a MSA extended e9 s-12. black mica , s/n 1c967 any info on this machine? Got it from Al Brisco at Steel Guitars Canada.Someone added a GeorgeL 12-5 pickup and she does sound sweet.
My other question is the knee levers that are attached to the side of the body have some front to back play. which doesn't affect raising or lowering, but feels a bit loose compared to the ones that are attached to crossrods. Is this normal or is there a bushing or sleeve I should be replacing?
Thanks in advance!
John
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2007 4:17 pm    

John, The brass pivot bushings on the knee levers will wear out, they get ground into strange shapes and cause a lot of slp in the old MSA's.
They are available from a couple places, I bouhgt mine from Wayne Link in Canada at Linkon Steels.
AL Brisco can probably get you some too.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2007 3:18 am    

John....Serial number 1C197 was originally built for Larry White (who is a personal friend and lives here in the Dallas area) and is an exceptional player. It left the factory with 7 pedals and 6 knee levers. The birth date was not entered into record.

It is essential the crossrods have a small amount of back play. You might check each end of the crossrods to be sure the rod is inserted in a nylon bushing, and the bushings are firmly seated in the holes provided.

The brass pivot pins were intentionally made of brass because it is a softer material than aluminum, therefore after extended use the small pin (if not lubrocated properly) will wear out before the bellcrank and will not damage the bellcrank.

Should a failure begin to occur it will be very gradual and a MUCH easier, less expensive and a quicker fix. However, if the pivot pins are kept well lubricated they will last indeffinently. I still have all the orginals in my older MSA's made MANY years ago and they show no signs of wear.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2007 4:29 am    

John, if you're refering to the reversing knee levers that mount to the rear apron...that play is normal, but if it bothers you, you can add washers to take up some of the play. Just remember they should never be as tight as the non-reversing knees (mounted to the cross shafts). There has to be some front to back play in them.
John Pape

Rochester, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2007 6:13 am    

Thanks all;
Individually replying:

Reese
SN is not 197 , its 967 it is black and came to me w 3 pedals, 4 knees.

Bo,
There isn't slip in the mechanism... it is just play in the levers themselves that are bolted to the cab Right where they pivot on the cab, not the ones attached directly to the cross rod. I know Al Brisco had replaced some brass parts before selling it... It doesn't seem to be slipping..

Mike
You nailed it!!!! this is exactly what I've been attempting to describe. Thanks I won't worry about it.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2007 1:23 pm    

The reversing levers on the MSA have 5 extra pivot points, so yes, these will be slightly "looser" than the non-reversing levers. The screws mounting these levers (and the reversing bellcranks) are shoulder-screws, and they're made to bottom out before they get tight (to prevent over-tightening, and subsequent stiffness in the action).
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2007 11:31 am    

John....I apologize for my obvious error. As you can see, my response was at 3:13 am. I can only guess I was still half asleep.

Anyway....serial number 1C967 was originally made for a man named Turner. (location unknown) It shows to be a black single 12 which left the factory with 5 pedals and 4 knee levers. It was born on January 2nd 1974.