| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National lap/console parts
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 9:03 am    

I have a National Dynamic 6... the keys crumbled and I replaced them with an old set I had lying around... they work well. The case is slowly falling apart... so bad that the steel fell to the ground and shattered the pickup cover (black). I had a nice guy on this forum send me a cover, but it was for an 8 string. Anyone had luck finding parts for these? I guess I need a case and pickup cover.

I also have a National D8... it is in fine shape. The original owner (I believe he was a member of this forum by the name of Herb) replaced the keys with some chrome Klusons and they work fine. The main problems I'm having with it is, the nuts seem to be slanting towards the bridge, and the pickups are weak. Since I live near Lindy Fralin, I suppose I could check out rewinding, but would rather wait until they die. They are the same huge humbucker looking pickups that are on the Dynamic. Also, the case is slowly coming apart. Any pointers as to how to get all this fixed? Don't see many, if any, places that sell National parts. Thanx.

L

------------------
Please help spread the word!
http://home.earthlink.net/~es336td/stolen.html

National Dynamic, National D8 Console

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2006 12:24 pm    

Louie, I have a clear cover from a 6-string '48 Dynamic. Don't know if it would fit yours, but if you want it let me know and I'll ship it to you.

It's the one on this:

Uh, well, I see that the photo is without the cover, but you get the idea....

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 19 September 2006 at 01:27 PM.]

Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 9:35 am    

It's just like mine!

------------------
Please help spread the word!
http://home.earthlink.net/~es336td/stolen.html

National Dynamic, National D8 Console

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2006 10:36 am    

If you mail your post address to steinar AT gregertsen DOT com - I'll pack it as safely as I can and post it to you.

Steinar

------------------
"Play to express, not to impress"
www.gregertsen.com
Southern Moon Northern Lights

Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2006 8:20 am    

Thanx!
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 1:39 pm     Again!

Steinar was so nice to send me that clear cover... it worked great! However, my case was falling a part and trying to avoid the reason the original cover got broken, I bought a new Gretsch lap steel gig bag back in June. Long story/short; it got dropped on pavement while a well meaning friend was "helping" me load in... the cover shattered.

So, is there somewhere that sells parts? Do any of the chrome covers for Fender guitars/basses fit? I don't really need a cover, I just like to play with my right hand resting on it.

Thanx
L
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 1:50 pm    

Quote:
... it worked great!

Very Happy

Quote:
... the cover shattered

Crying or Very sad
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 3:19 pm    

I think that steel is a bit of a nudist and just wants to be played NAKED!

You might try Jim at Steel Guitars of North County

http://www.stlgitr.com/

He is a real nice guy and has help me out in the recent past.
Mark White

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 1:53 am    

Warren, I had an eight string National that came without a case. I bought a dulcimer case that worked perfectly for it. I don't know if the dimensions of the 6 string are the same as the 8 though.

Elderly carries them and gives some of the dimensions here: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/DCEV.htm
Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 12:18 pm     GREAT idea...

Mark,

Thanks so much for posting this GREAT idea.

j

Mark White wrote:
Warren, I had an eight string National that came without a case. I bought a dulcimer case that worked perfectly for it. I don't know if the dimensions of the 6 string are the same as the 8 though.

Elderly carries them and gives some of the dimensions here: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/DCEV.htm
Mark White

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 2:51 pm    

You're quite welcome Johnne Lee. I was very happy with the way the case fit the National.
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 10:54 am    

Mark White wrote:

That is sweet! Thanx!

Louie
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 12:32 pm    

FWIW.... dimensions of the cover...

3 1/4" X 2 1/2" X 1"
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 1:26 pm     Damn it man!

I normally play my National D8 on a keyboard table stand (see my avatar). At a recent gig, we were up on a riser about 8 inches or so; the table stand goes up about 48 inches. As I was packing up, don't know what happened, the entire stand/steel fell off the stage. It cracked one of the pickup plastic covers. Has any one found a supplier for these covers? Has anyone successfully used a chrome bass cover or something in place of the cover? Not that it's necessary, but it's a little easier to play when I can rest my right hand on that cover. I know need a 6 string and an 8 string cover. I've tried most suggestions in this thread with no results. I've had many offers of spare parts and I do appreciate it, but would like to find another source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 2:14 pm    

If you have a TAP plastics store (or similar plastics store) near you, you may be able to have someone make a replacement. Otherwise eBay is your friend. Good luck - these are very uncommon parts.
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 4:05 pm    

Louie,

I need 2 pickup covers for my National D8 (see thread National D8 Major surgery). I was going to make a couple over the holidays out of clear Lexan. It's just as easy to make three. Let me know if you want one.

RH
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 5:35 pm     Re: National lap/console parts

Louie Warren wrote:
the steel fell to the ground and shattered the pickup cover (black).

Sad

Quote:
Long story/short; it got dropped on pavement while a well meaning friend was "helping" me load in... the cover shattered.

Surprised

Quote:
the entire stand/steel fell off the stage. It cracked one of the pickup plastic covers.

Shocked

I don't think it is the covers that you need LOL!!

I would not use a stand if I were you, dig a hole waist deep, stand in the hole and play the steel on the ground!!!! That way it cannot fall!

Sorry!!! Very Happy

In all seriousness....

Rich Hlaves wrote:
Louie, I was going to make a couple over the holidays out of clear Lexan.RH

It should be east to do. Home depot sells it. Cover your wife's iron with foil and use low heat to bend the sides down just like a stock one. You could even paint it black to look better. Be sure to paint it from the inside (bottom) so the paint can not scratch. But scratches are the least of the trouble here? Very Happy
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 6:07 am    

This may be of interest to some of our mad scientists http://www.mimf.com/library/robinson_plastic_parts.htm
Its a tutorial on making plastic parts from the Musical Instrument Makers Forum.
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 11:07 am    

I went looking on the web to find the raw material for making the PU covers. The space between the cover thumbwheels on a National D8 is 3.5". I found square Acrylic tubing that has a 1/4" wall and a 4.0" OD. That makes the ID exactly 3.5". This will carve up nicely on a table saw for the covers.

I now need to find a local supplier that will sell me just a foot or two of the stuff. Minimum order is 6' from the site I found and the suff is $20.65 a foot. I hate to spend $150 with shipping when I can make a dozen covers or more out of 2 feet of the stuff.

Anybody want to do a three way split on the material? This would make it affordable for all.

RH
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2008 4:55 pm    

Rich,

They have 1/8 sheets at Home Depot for like $12-$15 or so.

Cut it out the right size, sand the edges with 300, 600, 1200, then automotive polishing compound. then heat it up on a low temp and bend the sides down.

Cut the grooves for the thumb screws with a grinder bit on a dremel.

Paint it black on the underside (it will look like black plastic from the top)so the paint will not scratch.

Install, I think it should be that simple?
Louie Warren

Sumerduck, VA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 9:05 am    

What great ideas! I knew I signed up to this forum for a reason! I wish I was gifted in crafting these things. I get to impatient. If anyone comes up with some extras, shoot me a PM and I'll take 2-8s and 1-6.

Thanx!

Very Happy