| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to the forum and pedal steel
Todd Herring

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2007 9:11 pm    

I'm new to the forum and and been playing steel for 6 months and lovin it!
Looking for other steel players in the Orlando Florida area.
I would love to get some lessons, jam etc.
I own a recording studio and would be willing to trade out studio time or pay by the lesson.
Check out my bio page and short steel clip I recorded, any and all suggestions, tips would be great!

http://www.actionrecordingstudio.com/toddbio.html
Peavey Nashville 1000
Pod XT with foot control
Peterson Strobe Flip
Roc-N-Soc Throne With Backrest
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 3:39 am    

Welcome Todd.

I liked your clip, sounds a little like 70's country/rock, which I really like.

Enjoy the forum!!!
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 3:54 am    

Welcome to the Forum, Todd. You'll find a treasure house of info by using the search function (top of page). If you don't find what you're looking for, just ask...somone around here usually has the expertise to give you a great answer.

And we'd love to hear your perspective on things, so jump in when you have something to share.

Enjoy. It's your Forum too.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 9:51 am    

Welcome Todd! Your clip is very nice and quite advanced for someone playing only six months. keep it up!
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 11:25 am    

Hey Todd,
Welcome aboard. Your clip is good, playing more in 6mo than I was at 6 years. I don't do lessons, but might come by sometime and check out your store. Now that you're into psg, maybe you could get steel guitar oriented in your store. We don't seem to have a store that focuses on steel within reasonable driving distance; maybe a market there Idea
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Todd Herring

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 2:15 pm     pedal steel in my store

Thats a good idea, my store is so close to GC and samash, I cant compete. Mainly the studio is what I do, I had extra room in the building and decided to make it a little store. The problem is, Peavey and other big names wont give me a dealership because there is the big guys so close to me. Maybe there is some steel guitar companies out there that would be willing to help me open the market up. Just yesterday I wanted the NV1000 amp or any steel amp for that matter and could not locate but 1 in a 150 mile radius of me.
I drove to get 1 of only 1 from Banz Music in wildwood (great guy), got it home and it was DOA, now it's in the repair shop. Bummer! I cannot find any parts, accessories, even thumb picks around here. I go to the store and they just look at me funny, i tried to get GC to order the NV1000 amp and they called me back and said they cant sell it because it is not UL approved. Never heard of that. I just hope my steel guitar dont break, because there is no one around that knows anything about them.
Good idea, I will look into it.
Peavey Nashville 1000
Pod XT with foot control
Peterson Strobe Flip
Rick E. Jackson

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 6:15 pm     Re: New to the forum and pedal steel

Todd,

I'm new to the forum, signed up today. I'm also a guitarist/bassist just getting into PSG. Your technique sounds great for 6 months of playing. Did you learn from any particular book, video, or ??

Regards,
RJ
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 6:15 pm    

Todd, it might be a good little niche market; there are several steel players in the local & surrounding area, with no place to go for strings, picks, used stomp box, used amp, whatever. There used to be such a small store in Debary across the pond from you. About all he handled were used steels, 6-strings & such along with the regular accessories stuff. Bondz store is the only steel store I know of within a couple hours drive. I got my Nv 112 from him, good guy to deal with. You know, if you started getting a little used inventory of steels, amps and effects stuff, might be worth while as a sideline sort of. Cool
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 6:29 pm    

Welcome Todd from Alabama.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 6:58 pm    

I have always loved country music, but never really mastered the country guitar chickin pickin so I stuck with, SRV, Van Halen type influences. I was in nashville on vacation and decided to buy a steel guitar, I went to Bobby Seymoure and he said, if you play lead guitar your half way to playing steel. I sat down at the steel put the finger picks on backwards and tried to play and he laughed a little but gave me a couple of tips and I was hooked. He said learn your major chords and you will progress fast, he was right. I bought some of his books but I havent even looked at them. I hate reading books. I try to find a lick and then apply it to different chords then expand on the lick. That clip was actually recorded after about 3 months of playing. My weakness is the minors and clean execution of the notes. I want to learn to get that cryin steel sound, it has so much feeling. All these different tuning setups is another issue I'm having. When I play with my band the tuning sounds off some times, but I am dead on! Bobby said that it's the band not me, well I havent told the band that. He did say that using more vibrado will help because this out of tune sound in a band situation is a common issue with steel players. I want to play some rock songs with my band, but it just doesnt sound right. Another issue is as a guitar player I could here a lead and then just pick it up by ear, but steel is different, I havent been able to do that yet.
(Sorry to ramble on)
Another thing that has helped me is that I have played guitar for a long time. The only problem with that is that when I sit at the steel I want to play it like a guitar. I have to mentally clear my head. The band I play in and manage is a cover band, top40, rock, R&B etc. I kind of used my influence to add some country songs and for them to let me play steel. I did my first gig on steel about 2 months ago and it went great. We go from Christina Aquilera to Shania Twain. Now they want me to play guitar and steel at the same time, meaning sitting at the steel with guitar on and switch back and forth during a song. That may be awhile. I have a long way to go.
Peavey Nashville 1000
Pod XT with foot control
Peterson Strobe Flip
Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2007 8:56 pm     New to steel

Hello my friend you got a good understanding of how you want to hear it you just need to get with someone close by to jam with and or read some cord theory on this creature you have gotten hold of they are mind boggling sometimes and right when you think that it isn't there you find it but you gotta use more chords to find where you going esp. in Rock it is fascinating to say the least TOMMY
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2007 5:58 am    

Todd,

I am really enjoying reading your posts. Like you, I always loved the crying country sound of E9th Pedal Steel, but started out on other instruments.

I started out on Banjo, but don't tell anyone Wink

Moved on to dobro, which I still dearly love and play regularly, then finally to my true love, Emmons PP.

I still catch myself trying to insert a banjo roll or two every now and then. When I manage to pull it off cleanly, everyone has very positive comments.

My point in this ramble, don't be afraid to create your own style and sound. I think that one of the greatest things about pedal steel is the fact that there are so many different ways to do it right!

Have a blast Very Happy
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2007 6:35 pm    

Hello Todd,
Greetings from DeLand to "The City Beautiful". Nice playing on your website. If you ever get some kind of jam together, let me know.
Duncan