| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reissue 65 Fender Twin
Dennis Stambaugh

New Oxford,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 3:40 pm    

I was calling around music stores and found a new Reissued 65 Fender Twin Reverb with 15" eminence speaker for $750. I haven't gone to look at it yet.I would like to hear forum members opinions pro and cons on the twin for pedal steel guitar.Thanks in advance for your comments.
Denny S
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 7:07 pm    

I have that very same amp, which by the way is no longer being sold by Fender. Mine breaks up a little early than it should, most likely preamp tubes, so I'm told. I use it mostly at home, would have to mike it at most gigs, but it's a tone monster.
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 7:37 pm    

hmmmm, Fender still lists it on their website and many stores are still offering it. At 85 watts it should be pretty danged loud. It may break up earlier than a "silverface" but pre-amp tube change can set that back a bit...I played around with one at GC and am considering that or a blues deville....decision, decisions...sounded great throughout the volume range but ya gotta turn the tone knobs Very Happy

Tom
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 6:29 am    

I have the Twin Reverb re-issue with the 15" speaker. I like it a lot.

I also have an original early silver face (pre master volume) with JBL speakers from the factory.
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 7:56 am    

Tom, you are correct, the Custom 15 IS still available, my error.
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 7:58 am    

Dennis, if that amp is new, it's a great buy for only $750
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 8:04 am    

I think maybe I muddied the water. We are talking about two different amps: the re-issue "Twin Reverb" and the re-issue "Custom Twin Reverb".
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 5:19 pm    

sounds like a good deal...there are two current re-issues...the '65 Twin and the '65 Twin Custom. Both amps are "black faces" @ 85 watts, with the Custom containing a 15' speaker verses two 12's. I think I saw that somebody else here is using one (recent "favorite amps" threds). Muscian's Friend lists the Custom as coming with casters and an "embroidered" amp cover...and I think the legs.

I'm looking closely at either one as well as the Blues Deluxe and Bandmaster re-issue. I have played tele through the Blues and Twin and really like either. I need to get my steel to GC and ry that as well...lot of money to plunk down without being able to try it....then there's that awsome Vibroluxe... Very Happy Oh yeah! A little pricey but it is hand wired...bet it is worth the money from the available reviews.

Erv...if yours is the re-issue '65 Twin Custom could be talk you in to a "Steel Player's review? Very Happy

Tom
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2007 5:53 am    

Tom,
When I play pedal steel, I use a rack system I've set together.
When I play non-pedal I like either the original Twin Reverb or the re-issue Twin with the 15" speaker. I have always felt that a 15" speaker brings out the low tones better. On some of my Stringmasters, I have been known to put bass strings on the bottom 4 strings on one of the necks. I used to play with a polka band in my youth and this was a real kick.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2007 6:08 am    

Quote:
It may break up earlier than a "silverface" but pre-amp tube change can set that back a bit

Specifically, changing the V2 tube (the second preamp tube from the right, looking at the back of the amp), if you play through the vibrato channel, to a 5751 tube will give you less gain, resulting in later breakups. The amp should also be biased ( a power tube "idle" setting adjustment that should cost about $35 at most shops, or you can buy a tool for $25-100 and learn to do it yourself) slightly on the cold side for cleaner sounds; on the hotter side if you like a warmer tone and are not going to turn the amp up much above 5 or so.

If you pull two outer or inner pairs of power tubes, rebias and install an 8-ohm speaker you've pretty much made yourself a '64 Vibroverb of sorts, one of the most sought-after Fender amps. If you don't play loud that would be a much better way to set up the amp - a Twin turned up to 2 or 3 usually sounds thin and weak.

All that being said - for $750 I'd find a silverface Twin from the 70's with 2 - 12" speakers (only avoid the 135-watt and "red knob" models - they can be decent amps but are not really the same amp as the Twin in question) - it's built far better than the new printed-circuit board amps and will do nothing but increase in value over the years. They are also FAR easier to service. $750 should get you a good one with enough money left over for some minor servicing if needed.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional