| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Artisan Legs?
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 2:09 pm    

In the what's under the MOTS post, Brad suggested an idea that I've been thinking of.

It's almost worth buying one of those Artisan steels, just for the legs. I've wanted to put legs on my Oahu for a few years now and I'm considering the Artisan as a source.

Does anyone have any clue about whether it's possible just to purchase their legs. Or, who manufactures them?

I've checked out Bobbe's legs (no jokes please) on his site and other guys who make legs, but two things keep me from putting in an order.

First, the legs they sell seem to be much bigger than necessary for a steel like mine (my Oahu is just like the common Supro, National, Valco types). I'm worried that the flanges would bore too deep into the steel and ruin it somehow.

Second, the legs they sell are quite pricey. I'm sure they're worth the money when it comes to quality, but it seems weird to spend a lot more on legs than I did on the actual instrument.

The Artisan legs look smaller (and lighter) and look like they'd suit my steel better. Anyone have any experience with these legs?

What I'd really like to find are the size legs that you see on those Supro Comets, or the like National Dynamic that Rick just posted pictures of.

I guess I'd also like to find a Supro Comet. Anyone?

BTW, I have no interest in using a keyboard stand. I've tried this and I can't get used to playing a flat steel. I like the instrument to slope away from me. Just like when it's on my knees

I'd love your thoughts.

------------------
Steve Pierce
Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 4:20 am    

I seen a guy a while back build a platform that form fit his steel. This way he didn't have to drill holes in it to mount the legs. Using the legs from Bobbe he mounted them on the bottom of this platform. He used two strips of velcro to hold it on. It was very solid and very light.
The legs was stored on the underside and was very portable. I have the wood to make one for my bakelite but just no time right now to finish it.

You could use the Artisan legs and mounts.

Don Burrows also makes one similar to this:
The Stand

He will do custom sizes also.

Hopefully, this might help

------------------
HSGA & RMSGC member
Play it with "Glass"
Boyett's Glass Bars

Mark Utting

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 11:22 am    

I have the Artisan with the legs and here is what I have found. The legs are fine for sit-down playing but a bit flimsy for standup. Now having said that I do play it standing up in my rock band and it works OK. When I sit down and play it, they are plenty sturdy. I like the centimeter calibration on each leg which makes set up pretty easy. They even come in their own little carrying bag. It seems a little funny to buy an Artisan for the sole purpose of using its legs but maybe that’s not too different from what I did by buying it, rebuilding it and reusing only the body, legs and “fret” board. For $80 it’s quite a bargain.

Mark
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 11:35 am    

Steve-- partly depends on whether you want to stand or sit, or both. The Seymour legs
will extend to around 48", the Supro console legs will only give you about 40" before they start to wobble. I'm too tall to play my Supro standing-- using the console legs... so there's a strong case to be made for having a good stand on which you can play any steel you acquire, sitting or standing.

BTW, there are a couple of Comet/Airliner style Supros going on eBay at the moment...the one with legs is allegedly nearly mint.

--Steve
Steve Pierce

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 4:19 pm    

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was worried about the wobbles with the smaller legs.

I'm in no hurry and I'm willing to keep searching for the best solution.

I'll keep an eye on that Supro. It's been up a few times before.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 6:09 pm    

I used to use a couple of Artisans bolted together. They're not very heavy so I got one of those single pole music stands and removed the stand part, then bolted the instruments straight to it. It took up very little floor space and could be adjusted up to a standing position. With new riser nuts and tuners they're not bad little instruments.

But of course you're not interested in the instruments, only the legs. The legs are okay for a light instrument like the Artisan, but they're flimsy. You could make better legs by going down to the hardware store and buying some tubular steel and the fittings for bolting into wood. They're not too difficult to obtain: people have been making portable tables for years.

[This message was edited by Alan F. Brookes on 25 August 2006 at 07:12 PM.]

You might try looking at Goodwill or the Salvation Army stores. It's amazing what you can find on old furniture. As a luthier I'm often buying old furniture just to take apart and use the wood.

[This message was edited by Alan F. Brookes on 25 August 2006 at 07:13 PM.]