| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  $80 to ship a Supro?!!
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 4:09 am    

Auction on eBay.

I wrote the seller to ask if this was for overnight next morning before 10:30am service. I shipped a LARGER lapsteel to Texas last winter from Florida, and it was a whopping $16 (with insurance).

These people who rip folks off with outrageous shipping charges just P me off. I've already written the seller to to chew him/her out.

------------------
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Regal resonator (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); assorted ukuleles; upright bass

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 25 August 2006 at 05:37 AM.]

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 4:59 am    

I airmailed ("7-10 day delivery") an MOTS Silvertone to Norway recently for $38.20.

Give 'em hell, Todd!
Bill Manning

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 5:22 am    

That's nonsense. I was thinking about bidding on another guitar that guy had up on auction but I noticed he's prone to exaggerations and...errr..."misstatements." I called him on the $78 shipping for another lap steel and emailed me back to the effect that it was "just a number he puts up there" but my actual shipping charge would be less. Hopefully, that meant reasonable. I see he still has the "prewar" Ace/Academy up there.

[This message was edited by Bill Manning on 25 August 2006 at 06:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Manning on 25 August 2006 at 06:28 AM.]

Jon Kostal

Westmont, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 5:36 am    

When selling on ebay, they let you add handling charges that are not visible to the bidders. I'd guess he tacked on 50 bucks to the shipping fee. Not very ethical, but is OK according to ebay's rules. It looks to me that he thinks this guitar is worth more that it really is, since the reserve is not met. This is unfortunate, since it artificially drives the prices up. It's difficult to get a good deal on a steel on ebay. Great if you want to sell though...

Jon
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 7:23 am    

Nice going Todd! Now he has the shipping calculator on his auction. Ground is $21.48, and overnight is . . . $79.60
You made an honest man of him, for this auction anyway.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 9:03 am    

...and,albeit,b0b has closed this thread for,supposedly,being "off topic",you might wanna check it out also:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum7/HTML/004013.html

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 9:30 am    

That seller has only been registered with eBay for 3 months and he only has 7 transactions. He'll learn his lesson. What kind of an idiot would charge $80 to ship a lap steel within the same state? (you are both in Florida).

One time I bought a lap steel from a newbie on eBay who had a couple of negatives (foolish me!). He charged me $78 Overnight shipping, which I did Not want because we were only 200 miles apart and the normal delivery would be two days. Like a fool I paid the $78 Overnight shipping and the guy didn't ship the guitar for 2 weeks! He just sat on it. Ignored my emails. So I got his phone number through eBay and I called him. His mother answered the phone and apologized, and I received the guitar a couple of days later. The guitar had been advertised as Excellent Condition. There was severe water damage to the case And the guitar. A large section of the MOTS covering had torn off due to the water damage and the wood was rotted. The guitar didn't work, and I had to do some rewiring. This sort of thing happens occasionally on eBay, but I have had many more positive experiences than negative.