| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Problem
Francis Chamberlain

Franklin, KY, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2007 6:43 pm    

Problem with Nashville 112. Sometimes when it is first turned on it has a very low volume and a poor sound quality. The sound and reverb is very thin. You can shake the amp or bang on it until you the reverb makes a loud noise and then it works fine.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 3:27 am    

Francis, that sounds like it might be a bad jack. I had a similar problem with a Session 400 Limited I owned. The Peaveys use switching jacks and sometimes they develop problems which cause what you describe. I ended up having to change some of the jacks on that amp to cure the problem. It might be something else but the jacks would be my guess.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 4:33 am    

A bad jack is a remote possibility. You can check that by using a guitar cord and connecting the output to the input on the pre and post EQ effects loops and from the preamp out to the power amp in.

The first thing I would try is to turn the reverb off (to 0) and see if that makes a difference. If it does then you have isolated it to something in the reverb. check the wires and connector on the underside that connects to the motherboard to make sure it's all OK. Also check the RCA plugs on the reverb tank. If not that, it's probably internal to the amp.

If it's not the reverb then check each control by running each control from zero to max. A dirty control can potentially cause the problem you have, especially if a control is left in one position for a long time.

If not the above, you are looking at something internal and unless you are a tech you are better off taking it to a Peavy authorized repair center.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 8:58 am    

It looks like a bad jack is only a 'remote' possibility but your symptoms are identical to what my amp had nonetheless. Oddly enough when I called Peavey for support someone there (Mike Brown I believe) told me that a bad switching jack was the first thing to check for, and that's exactly what it was. Jarring or banging the amp would often cause the contacts on the jack to close all the way and suddenly the sound would burst back on full. The reverb would make a racket from the amp being jarred...as they always do.
Francis Chamberlain

Franklin, KY, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 5:00 pm     Peavy Nashville 112 Problem

Thanks Jack and Bill for your replies. I hope with your help I find the problem. Fine little amp up until
this problem came along.