| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what is the best tuner for steel
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 12:31 pm    

I have been looking at a peterson fip tuner. has anyone hear of a Turbo Tuner Model ST-122 Chromatic Strobe Tuner it looks good and is cheaper than the peterson and you can also program custom tunings in it
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 12:47 pm    

Jeff, hi from your old hillbilly pal. I am not a tuner advocate as I have always trusted my ear once I got the root note. Having said that, I bought my wife a Peterson Flip and I am amazed by it. I am actually going to buy one for myself. It has three pre programed settings for steel. And I can easily use what is already there. I would look no further than the Peterson.
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 2:18 pm    

Hey Jeff from another hillbilly, like Johnny said check out the peterson. There is nothing in its class.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 3:03 pm    

Another vote for the Peterson Stobe O Flip. Best tuner I've had or used for pedal steel and I've been using tuners since the old Korg WT-20 came out and Jeff Newman started promoting it in the 80's.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 9:28 pm     For me

For me its the VSII hands down...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 3:46 am     tuners

I've had a dozen tuners the last 25 years and none come close to the Peterson Stobe-O-Flip.
Buy it, you'll love what it does to your tuning.
Don
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 8:41 am    

Peterson is my choice and you will love it when trying to tune up in a noisy club.

I keep mine connected from the tuner out on the FSK.Some clubs we play use very hot stage lights which often affect tuning. I can mute the FSK and touch up my guitar in the middle of a song and be back in the battle quickly.
Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 8:48 am     Best Tuner

Peterson Strobo Flip

Their VS II injects some noise in the line, but the Flip is quiet.
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 10:03 am     Tuners

Why not use just a regular guitar tuner? I guess I don't see what the difference is guys? Give me something to go on here. Thanks for the info!

Dave
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 10:17 am    

Dave, the Peterson has presets and all you have to do is tune until there's no movement on the easily readable LCD and you're there.

With a needle style,you have to remember numerous offsets and a needle can be hard to see and can be unstable at times which the Peterson is not.

I used a WT20 for years and the Peterson is light years ahead and extremely accurate.
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 11:07 am     Tuners

When you mean offsets I assume you mean for the sharps because on my guitar tuner the needle will be over to the right and not straight up like a whole note? That might not give you a note dead on, right?

Dave
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 11:38 am    

David,

The main advantage to using a Petersen tuner is that it is 30 times more accurate than a standard LED tuner. (Their claim...) The presets are a bonus, as they 'sweeten' your tunings by making the most of an instruments' intonation limitations/advantages.

On my Strobostomp 2, I currently use one preset for electric guitar, one for acoustic, one for bass, one for practicing pedal steel at home and one less-tempered for playing in a band where there's an accordion. They have many presets included, but you can also make your own. I use mine in-line as well, as it has a true-bypass setting where it doesn't affect the signal at all! (A tuner first, I believe). Plus, it is SMALL.

It has made a HUGE difference to my tuning accuracy.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 2:25 pm    

Someone said the strobo stomp has 3 tunings for steel. Are these tunings listed as JI or ET, etc.? Is there an explanation with the various tunings?
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 7:33 pm    

I need to know more about JI and ET

Dave
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 8:16 pm    

Len it has 2 sweetened E9th settings, one with the E's slightly sharp of 440, and also a C6th setting.

Plus Dobro, violin and a whole bunch of other goodies you've probably never heard of Laughing
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 May 2007 7:43 pm    

I had a VS II, but like the Stroboflip better, as it's more compact. Both of these tuners have the ability to measure the differences between notes so you can program your own personal tunings. The strobo stomp can't do that, although you can program your own personal tuning, it can't measure it for you so you can program it. The strobo Stomp does not have wide enough parameters to cover steel---it is designed for 6 string. The Strobo Stomp does have a true by pass, though. I don't know why it has true bypass, yet they didn't add that feature to the Strobo Flip and the VS II? JMO
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 1:13 pm    

Peterson VS II or Strobo-flip hands down. I've been using a VS II for 3 or 4 years now and the only regret I have is that the strobo-flip didn't cone out first!!!!
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 5:50 pm    

BOSS TU-12 Cool
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 6:18 pm     VS I ??

What's the difference in the VS I and the VS II?
I just bought a VS I for $75. I just can't see spending $200 for a tuner, when I don't even play with a group on a regular basis.

Terry
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 7:30 pm    

VS-II or the StroboFlip

I own both, and if they were broken or lost - I'd be buying another today! I've never been more in tune, when forced to use a tuner (where you would be bother others, or can't hear).

I don't know what the VS-II has that the VS-I doesn't, but they might have a comparison on their website. Peterson rules!

David Spires

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 12 May 2007 6:57 am    

I've been using the Turbo Tuner for a several months now and like it. Can't compare to the Peterson, never used one. The Turbo is an actual strobe, whereas the Peterson is a virtual strobe. In the real world, I'm not sure that makes a difference. You can't clip it on the leg like the Peterson, or stomp on it. Seems more accurate than the TU-12 I used for years. I programmed my offsets into it, and it works great.
Also, being able to see it in the dark is an advantage. And it's about half the price of the Peterson.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2007 7:22 am    

Jeff, those little button knobs sticking up at the left end of your guitar are a good place to start... Laughing

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 12 May 2007 8:08 pm    

Boss TU-12 here too...like any tuner, make sure every body in the band is using the same one (pass it around).

Tom
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 10:22 am    

David Fields wrote:
I need to know more about JI and ET

Dave

David, there are three "camps" when it comes to tuning...

The ET guys say it's best to get everything just "close"...sort of an "averaging equally out of tune" method

The JI guys say to get the important intervals perfectly in tune, to completely eliminate beats on these important intervals. Other intervals may sound horribly out...so you correct them with the bar, with compensators, or by ignoring them entirely whenever possible.

The remaining camp poses a method somewhere between the previous two.

Whichever method "wins" depends on the audience and the style of music. Some people (listeners and musicians) are far more tolerant of a musician being out of tune than others.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 4:31 pm    

What's the best tuner for steel guitar? Your ears. Get your guitar in tune by ear. Then you can measure it with any chromatic tuner to easily reproduce it in a noisy environment.