| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with avatar pictures-----
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 6:45 pm    

How do I get pictures on my computer into the avator properly? I keep getting this message when I trying to insert a picture. "The avatar image file size must be less than 32 KB" Shocked
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 9:45 pm    

Use a graphics editor to reduce the dimensions, after cropping, to 100x100 pixels maximum width or height, and change the quality to medium instead of high, if necessarty, to get the filesize below 32 kilobytes. Most computers have some kind of photo editing program installed, especially if you have a digital camera application.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 6:43 pm     To the top

To the top, "STEEL" need help with the avatar picture insertion.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 9:31 pm    

Allen;
Do you have photo editing software on your computer(s)? If so does it have the ability to allow you to specify a new image size in percentage or pixels? You can crop your photo to eliminate unnecessary details, then reduce the dimensions so the neither the height, not the width exceeds 100 pixels. Next, choose to save as a new file name and see if there are any options to optimize the image in a way that reduces the file size without removing too much detail. This is usually called Quality, for a jpg file, and by reducing to 50% you can really cut down on file size in bytes.

Sometimes just cropping and resizing will get you to under 32 kilobytes. If not, lower the Q until you get below 32 kb.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Craig Stenseth

Naperville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 4:56 am    

Allen,
If you're using Windows, "Paint" should work fine. Open the picture you want to use, go to "Image", then "Stretch/Skew" under that. In the "Stretch" dialog box, enter a percentage (like 25% or whatever) for both horizontal and vertical. Save the result as some other file name, then use "Attributes" to see how big the new file is.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2007 6:40 am    

See my Sticky Post in the top section of this forum for help with editing/resizing images, and the one above it for information about uploading image files to the forum.