| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best All-Pull Guitar
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 9:09 pm    

I am an E9 player. I have a GFI SD-10 that I bought from Bobbe Seymour a couple years ago. I love it, but I think (heavy emphasis on think) I am ready to start learning the C6 neck. I am just wondering what all you great players would consider to be the best sounding/playing all-pull double neck on the market today.

Joe

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 11:49 pm    

Joe,
You will get answers which mention every guitar in production.
I would say it is a totally personal thing,I cannot see past a Zum for tone and build quality but realy any modern guitar is good.
There may be a show going on near where you live and you can get the chance to see and try several brands.
All the best and keep us informed
Best regards
Billy
By The way,C6 is a breeze.I was able to tune my guitar after only two years Very Happy
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 12:15 am    

I don't know how many are going to respond here, but, alas, if any substantial number do, the responses will probably be all over the map, which may not be very helpful. My impression is that there are fifteen or twenty manufacturers making high quality steels nowadays, and I really haven't heard of any less than excellent ones. All play well mechanically, most or all are easy to make changes or adjustments to, and all sound very much the same (there are differences, but they're very subtle). I think it really boils down to your personal preferences as to a) traditional or modern "vibe", b) looks, and c) importance of weight. And, of course, cost. And waiting time. Quality is just about a tossup.
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 11:11 am    

I am by no means a great player, really just an old hack player. But the best bet IMO is like already said, sit down to a few different makes and play a little on them. See what the "feel" of the pedals & levers is. Many will have a different feel as amount of force needed to push or activate, amount of pedal or lever travel, etc etc. Some will just feel like a "fit", others won't and it is different for everybody. As already said, I can't add to it, the tone & quality is tops on a large number of different brands today. My personal preference may not be a "fit" to you. So give 'em a try-out. Cool
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 11:20 am    

I have 2 suggestions.

1- If you're happy with your GFI, stick with GFI. They are fine guitars, and you will like your double neck as much as you like your single neck.

2- If you think you want to try out some other brands, go to the convention or the Dallas or some other show where they are all on display, and try them all out and see which one grabs you. You're bound to find something you absolutely love. (Chances are you'll find more than one.)
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 12:37 pm    

Thanks guys. I kinda figured the anwers would be all over the place, but I am really thinking about a Lashley LeGrande III, just because "There's just something about an Emmons." But I had a Fessenden that had great tone, but it was a 12 string and I just couldn't handle that. I've seen some Mullens that look promising. My main problem is that here in eastern Montana there is no place to go and try anyting out. Maybe the best advice is like some of you said, go somewhere and try some guitars out. I was hoping to narrow this field down to Emmons All-Pull, Zum, Fessenden, Mullen, and maybe some others like Ritenbury and Williams.

Joe
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 1:04 pm    

There is no best. Best is what YOU think it means.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 1:07 pm    

Joe, you certainly can't go wrong with any of the guitars you just mentioned.
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 2:13 pm     Rains Steel Guitars

First, I agree with Kevin's comment. I think the vast majority of steel builders are building super quality and sounding steels. I've owned almost all the major steels and wish I could have kept them all! Certain steels fit my style/attack etc better than others and depending on what your personal taste for sound, looks, pedal action etc will influence your final decision.

As of this moment, I have a great sounding '79 Zum D-10 natural lacquer and an incredible sustaining/sounding Rains that are my favorites.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 7:11 pm    

Too close to call. There are probably a dozen makes that are of approximately equal quality, but they have slightly different features and looks. Visit all their web sites at the links found here: http://www.b0b.com/links/manufacturers.html.

Have fun! Smile
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 7:12 am     Steels

I Have owned. Emmons Msa Mullen Carter Blanton BMI Derby Zum. All Sounded Good. Now My Main Guitar Is a 1971 PP Wood Necks. The older MSA For The money Is Hard to beat.Plenty of money Buy a new MSA Or legrande 111 . To me Tone wise The older ones sound a Little better And The New Ones look a little better. Randy. Very Happy Razz Laughing
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 7:39 am    

Take a look at what people are actually playing in this poll: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=103534

"The best" is very subjective, as there are many excellent instruments being made today. What's best for one person may not work well for another due to comfort, tone, playing style or even color.

My daughter would rather drive her little VW bug than my wife's SUV. To her, the bug is "the best". I know people who would very much prefer a new Excel S-12 over my old (1978) Sierra Olympic. The Excel is lightweight and can handle any changes you want to put on it. The Olympic is built like a tank and is horrible to work on, but for me it's the best of class.

If you're limiting your quest to new guitars, the Sierra Session would get my vote.

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 8:55 am     The Poll

Man b0b, That poll says it all. I didn't realize there were so many "off" brands. I really wish I lived somewhere where there were options and places to go "test drive" some guitars. I didn't see Magnum in that poll. Are they newer than the poll perhaps?

Thanks,

Joe
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 1:18 pm    

Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 1:27 pm     Nashville

Cool pic, Tommy. Your Derby looks majestic sitting there in the grass. I can see CMT in the background. Cool.

Joe
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 1:37 pm     Yes!

If you like your GFI, I would go with another one, they are a fine instrument, but so is the Emmons, Carter, Shobud, Mullen, Derby, Marlen, Rains, & a bunch of ones I can't think of. The quality of the instruments today is just great & I don't think you would go wrong with any one of them.

Ernie
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 3:30 pm     steels

Hey Ernie, I just checked out the GFI website and was amazed to see that they are going STAINLESS. They are just starting to make Stainless Steel changer fingers...they said they had a few at the Dallas show and everybody was amazed at the tone, sustain and string seperation...people can read about it on their site...I guess that must say something for Stainless Steel changer fingers...GFI would never go that way unless it was a giant improvement....gonna cost a little more.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 3:55 pm    

Just like there is no "best" car, or cola, there is no "best" steel. Even if there was, I doubt it would make you a better player. Oh sure, I just know there's someone out there who will try (unsuccessfully) to argue that point. Give it up! Rolling Eyes

I also don't think there are any "magic ingredients", and I've stopped expecting "giant inprovements" too. I've been watching the steel market, listening, and playing, for almost 50 years, so common sense tells me otherwise. Sure, there are some minor refinements that come along every so often, but most everything else I hear (whether from a novice, a pro, or a manufacturer), I judge to be hype.

Instead of looking for the best guitar, it would be much more beneficial, IMHO, to try and make yourself the best player. Or, at least, a very good one.

Then, it won't matter what brand you play (to the real musicians, anyway).
Joe Drivdahl

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 4:31 pm     Best Guitar

That's sound advice, Donnie. I think you are right. Guitars are like guns I think. It really doesn't matter what they look like. Can you hit anything is more important. A squared off, black, dull looking Glock will kill you just as dead as a beautiful Weatherby with pearl handles.

Brad that is good to know. I already love the GFI brand, so maybe I'll take Mike and Ernie's good advice and just trade for a double neck GFI once the stainless change fingers come out.

Thanks fellas. Happy steelin'

Joe
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 7:32 pm     Re: The Poll

Joe Drivdahl wrote:
I didn't see Magnum in that poll. Are they newer than the poll perhaps?

No, I just didn't think of them. Most people here know that Magnum is the name of Carter's "music store ready" pro model, so I guess that Magnum players would have selected Carter in the poll.

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 12:21 am     PSG's

Regardless of what brand you finally settle on, you'll have to personalize it for your own feel and taste. One of the first things I check for is strings ringing, then I'll usually loosen each string and check the nut rollers to see if there moving freely, the distance between each string should be exactly the same also. Under it I look at pull rods to see if there lined up straight and in the correct position and are they secure on each bellcrank. Check each bellcrank to make sure none are loose also. Most modern guitars are all good unless they've been incorrectly adjusted or abused. I've played nearly all of the guitars on the list that was mentioned above and the Magnum that was mentioned is a fine guitar as well. My sell time on one is usually less than 7 days. My favorite guitar is whatever I'm playing at the time! Good luck.
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 12:58 am    

The people who are building steels today are in it for the 'long haul'. There really is very little 'junk' out there today. If I was buying a new steel today, I'd probably draw a name out of a hat. There's a lot of good stuff out there. The days of the hacksaw-and-screwdriver-and-drill press are over in the steel guitar world. Those days are happily behind us all. If there are any builders who cling to the 'old' ways, they won't make it over the next year or so anyhow. Steels today are, generally, all first-class. Take your pick. If your GFI is working so well, why wouldn't you buy a second GFI?? I sure would. That's why I have 2 Whitney's and 2 BMI's!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
PRR
John Lindley

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 2:50 am    

I just talked to the folks at Emmons. There is s 42 week waiting period for a new Legrande 111.
A. Roncetti

Toronto,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 3:30 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
There is no best. Best is what YOU think it means.

I have to agree with Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 5:15 am    

I'll say it: