| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Bar???
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 4:17 pm    

Did I see somewhere on Pedal steel where someone was selling a Red steel bar? Thought I saw it here. Anyhow, can someone recommend a good bar and volume pedal? I am getting a 10 string MSA semi classic. Don't know much about picks, volume pedals, or bars.

Thanks!

Dave
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 5:59 pm    

Dave,

I believe that U R talking about the Red Rajah bars made by Chuck Brattain. I've heard they are super slick. He also makes the Black Phoenix bars that are also supposed to be super slick. I've heard lots of good things but have never used either one.

As far as volume pedals are concerned, most people either use Goodrich 120s or L-120s or the Hilton volume pedals. Goodrich pedals use a potentiometer & the Hiltons don't. I have a Goodrich & love it, I have never used a Hilton though.

For picks, I mailnyl use the metal Nationl finger-picks & an assortment of plastic thumb-picks.

You also might want to invest in some good ol' GeorgeL's cables. They are a bit pricey, but the quality & the sound you get with them are superb!!!

This should give you some ideas.

Casey
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 9:08 pm    

While they don't come in various colors, I'd recommend a BJS bar. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and Mr. Stroud that makes them. You can even get one with your birthstone in the end of it.
Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 6:37 am    

I had a Red Rajah bar and loved it as long as I didn't use stainless steel strings. Unfortunately I like to use stainless steel strings so I sold the Red Rajah. The Rajah is super slick and lighter in weight and seems to produce the same tone quality of a heavier bar. Stainless steel strings will scratch the Red Rajah. I use my BJS bars now and find that the BJS is extremely versatile on all types of strings. I have tried numerous volume pedals and prefer the Goodrich LK10 over others that I have used, with exception of the Hilton, haven't tried the Hilton yet. Ifyou are like the rest of us, you will find what you like through trial and error. Good luck.

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 4:14 am    

David...BJS bar..George L cables. You can't go wrong with that combo. No comment on pedals, never had a light beam pedal.
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 8:41 am    

I have a Red Rajah bar. I liked the feel and slickness of it, but the coating started wearing. (Maybe it was the stainless steel string thing-I hadn't heard that before.) I think there is a recoating process they will do on the bars. I was still experimenting with different bars at the point I tried the Rajah bar. I ended up with a BJS bar and don't expect to need another unless it rolls away and gets lost. (FYI-Bullet bars are also a good choice). I'm extrememly happy with my Hilton volume pedal. Try different thumb picks. I like the Jeffran fingerpicks - they just always felt right to me without inflicting too much pain.

Bob P.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 9:39 am     Bars

I used both the red and black Rajah bars and the finish came off both...I like the grip as they don't slip but BJS are the best. Larry Smile