| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Legrande/ B. Bowman
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 6:40 am    

Well, I will be the first to admit that I believe that tone comes from how the player approaches the instrument both physically and mentally. I don’t want to start a debate over that, but I was pleasantly surprised this week by what I heard from the Legrande I just bought. I would never have believed that the guitar alone could make such a difference in the tone of a persons playing. This thing sounds wonderful. Maybe it’s just because the Emmons is easier to get a good tone out of, or maybe my mental approached changed because I was excited about playing it, or maybe it was a combination of both. I don’t know, but I do know that even the guitar player in the band mentioned how nice the steel sounded last night. Funny thing is, my Legrande is red, just like my GFI, and until I told him it was a different guitar, he had not noticed I was not playing my GFI, he just thought it sounded better. I have played plenty of Telecasters, and I never noticed much differnece in tone from one U.S. made tele over the other. It seems I make all of them sound the same and none have really stuck out of the other where tone is concerned. But this Emmons guitar surprised me at how much difference it made. Yesterday, I took the guitar over to Bobby Bowman and he worked his magic on it for about two hours. He set it up to fit me and my playing style and he adjusted all the levers and pedal to pull with the tension levels that feel good to me. All I can say is that I am glad I played 3 other brand guitars before I got this one. It makes me appreciate this guitar all the more. Ok, I am done boasting now, back to practice. Thanks Bobby, it was blast visiting with you and learning from you yesterday……James
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 7:36 pm    

Hi James, bring your new guitar to the next meeting(May 7th) and let us hear it. You can always depend on Dr. Bowman to get the best out of a patient. Jody.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 4:54 am    

Ha...I would be way too embarrassed to play in front of that group of pickers. I am just a weekend hack. I can bring it and you can play it then leave me some hot licks on there when you are done….James
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 5:07 am    

Hey James sounds like a great new addition. Would love to hear it. I do agree that each steel has a differenct sound to it. Some good, bad or strange. I have found that it takes years to be able to sit down and get (your tone out of a guitar). some of us are lucky when we get a leg up when the guitar starts out close to our tone. I also agree with Jody. Doc Bowman is tops in my book.

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 8:39 pm    

Ahh James it aint that bad. I have only been playing for 4 months and ready to do it again. We need to get together and pick one evening, and I agree Doc Bowman is a great guy!

Brandon