| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  p/p`s and pups
Tom Higgins

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 3:36 pm    

I`ve decided to join the p/p club,and am looking for a laquer D10.One thing I find curious,a fair percentage of Emmons guitars have had one or both pickups replaced.This seems like a mod you would only make if you were dissatisfied with the tone of the guitar as original,yet the "Emmons Sound" is a source of constant reference here on the forum.Pickups on vintage Fenders and Gibsons are a big part of the sound and appeal of those guitars.Are the pu`s on a steel any less important to the overall sound?
Thanks,
Tom
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 5:28 pm    

I have the original Emmons single coil pick-ups in my 75"D10, don't have a clue what they are wound to and don't care..."that sound"Smile
JE:-)>
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 8:10 pm    

I would imagine most of the pickup changes were from single coil to humbucker or the reverse of that. Emmons p/p's came with either. Some prefer one, some the other. When a guitar changes hands, there's maybe a 50% chance the pickup will need to be switched for that reason. I prefer a single coil when playing live, but a humbucker in the studio. So if you don't have two guitars with the two options, you have to switch to whatever will be your main use. The next owner might have a different priority. I will say that my '80s S12 p/p came with a single coil pickup. I heard so much good hype about the Truetone single coil that I bought one and switched it with the stock Emmons pickup. It didn't sound any better. The stock Emmons pickup was as good as it gets for single coil. So there would be absolutely no reason to switch that stock pickup unless you wanted a humbucker. But maybe earlier pickups could be improved on - I don't know. One thing is that people who are drawn to the p/p for its ultimate tone may tend to be gear heads and tone hounds. So maybe they have a higher propensity for switching pickups looking for that ultimate tone. Even when it's the best there is, they are still compelled to try something different. You already know you have the best guitar for tone. So the only thing left to experiment with is the pickup.