| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reporting Myself for Spam?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 11:45 am    

I have my email through AOL and often get spam that 'appear' to be sent to me from my own email address. I assume they went out to a lot of other people too. If I click on them as Spam, does AOL think that I am really the spammer, or are they smarter than that?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 11:50 am    

Those durn spammers. Recently someone has started sending multiple spams every day using a fictious address@mywebsite address, and I get ALL of the returns, almost a thousand a day into my inbox. The thing I can't figure out is that the address he/she is using is not a real address on my site, nor one I have loaded into the control panel to be forwarded to me, but I still get all the mail.
Any ideas Wiz? How do I deal with this?
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 12:26 pm    

Mark, I had exactly the same problem back in December, read all about it here - http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum12/HTML/003518.html

What finally solved it was that I found a setting on my domain host website where I could block all incoming email that wasn't directed at 'my real name@mywebsite address'.

Steinar
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 5:43 pm     Re: Reporting Myself for Spam?

Jim Cohen wrote:
I have my email through AOL and often get spam that 'appear' to be sent to me from my own email address. I assume they went out to a lot of other people too. If I click on them as Spam, does AOL think that I am really the spammer, or are they smarter than that?

Jim;
Most sys-admins are fully aware that the From and Return addresses in spam messages are almost always forged. Spam fighters use other information in the headers to track the path the message took.

If you were a domain owner you could reconfigure your email settings to discard email sent to non existent accounts, but you can't do that with your ISP. They have to do that for you. You should notify AOL about this Joe Job using your account name, just to cover your ass.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 5:47 pm    

Thanks Wiz. I do also have email addresses at my own websites (2) where I am the domain owner. Right now anything (at) jimcohen.com or at beatswalkin.com gets forward to me at my AOL account. I could at least block those from getting sent to me. (Of course, I guess other people will still get them from my domains and probably report them as spam, but I've never been approached about that...)
Thanks.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 5:54 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Thanks Wiz. I do also have email addresses at my own websites (2) where I am the domain owner. Right now anything (at) jimcohen.com or at beatswalkin.com gets forward to me at my AOL account. I could at least block those from getting sent to me. (Of course, I guess other people will still get them from my domains and probably report them as spam, but I've never been approached about that...)
Thanks.

I have been Joe Jobbed and the only complaintant was an angry AOLer who mistakenly followed the Reply address and bitched me out as though I was the actual spammer. When I replied to explain what had actually happened he ignored my message and probably blocked my account.

One can learn a lot about how spam is traced by reading certain newsgroups frequented by email system admins (probably not on AOL newsgroups). One is at SpamCop.net the other is known as NANAE.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog