| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  bar diameter
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 11:35 am    

Hi everyone,
Why not use a small bar(7/8th) on the pedal steel? Why use the larger diameter? Is it cause you want less of a vibrato. Thanks. I have been playing mostly lap steel lately and just wondered. Hi, to Herb Steiner as I never got back to him.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 1:51 pm    

the extra weight and diameter gives you a little more sustain and control especially on the larger diameter strings.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 2:00 pm    

It is worth you while to try a BJS 15/16" diameter bar. Then you'll have arrived. Very Happy
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 2:10 pm    

I've been using a 1" (I think) Peirce Bar for years. When I got it I thought it would just be for slow tunes. Now the smaller bar feels wierd to me and I don't get the tone I do with the larger one. I'm not at home now so can't measure it but I think it's 1" not 15/16.
Dean Parks

Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 3:11 pm    

Two of the top pro recording steelers in Nashville use a 7/8 bar.

-dean-

Last edited by Dean Parks on 19 Apr 2007 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 3:14 pm    

I have not been playing a very long time, but in the several years I have, I've tried 7/8", 15/16" and 1". They are good bars too. I thought I liked the larger sizes. Then, I bought a 7/8" BJS and I just haven't let it go since. When I try the others on occasion now, to me, I just don't have as much control. This sounds sort of opposite from what others are saying. I really think it is just a matter of what feels right to you in your hand and to a point what you get used to.

Bob P.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 3:20 pm    

David I have played a 7/8" BJS for 25+ years and recently bought a new BJS 15/16th Hughey bar ... I found that the slightly larger bar gives me a little added control (without any extra weight) - and a little better tone (subtle), so I would suggest you try one out and see what you think.
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 3:26 pm    

All I have ever used is 7/8" and 3-1/4". I did find out that I am going to get a different bar made. I want it to be drilled out a little bit (Less Weight). I have found that the older I get the more I bare down on my bar and I think that a little less weight will work better for me. Also I want it to be 304 stainless. The softer grade of stainless has a better sound to it to me.

Colby
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2007 10:16 pm    

I use a tapered 1 1/4" - 1 1/8" bar, and a 7/8 bar just feels and sounds weak in comparison. It doesn't (to me anyway) have anything to do with vibrato - it's feel and tone.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2007 12:31 am    

I use a 7/8" bar most times, and see no difference whatsoever in sustain compared to a 15/16" bar. Too many pro players have used a 7/8" inch bar to make me think there's anything "deficient" about their tone or sustain.

Use whichever size is more comfortable for you to hold, and forget about losing "sustain". IMHO, that's just a myth. Rolling Eyes
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2007 1:25 am    

It's a subjective thing. Different people prefer different bars. There's no right or wrong, any more than there's a right or wrong color.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2007 3:12 am    

I have been fascinated by the technical abilities of Indian lap steel guitarists for several years now - they can go up and down single strings faster than many guitarists can go across them. You'd be hard-pressed to find a six-string jazz guitarist who can keep up with Debashish Bhattacharya, this is his best CD:
Calcutta Slide Guitar
He's also played with Bob Brozman and John McLaughlin and learned some Western things - the Indian tradition has always been open to outside influences, and some of them can play blues better than the whisky-and-funny-hat "real" bluesmen. You don't have to love Indian music or want to play it to understand that this kind of technique will be extremely useful for jazz, classical, rock or anything else, at least I hope people can see that.

I have found that bars less than 3 oz. sound dead and bars over 6 oz. are too slow, so I play anything from homemade acrylic and delrin bars 1 1/4" in diameter to hollow 7/8" bars, even a 3/4" X 3 3/8" Bullet bar that Jim Burden made me. I just got a couple of 5/8" bars off of Ebay that I'm having a blast with - "Oahu", oldsters?

I have the requisite 1", solid 7/8", and BJS 15/16" bars but they are too slow for what I want to do. I use them for weight training and to wear the top hair-edge off of wound stainless strings, cause those will munch up the plastic bars when they're spanking new.
David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2007 5:36 am     Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2007 8:25 am    

My take on this...... Different people have different sized hands. Each player has to determine by trial and error what size bar is most comfortable for them. The size of the bar does not do anything to the tone that tweaking a few knobs on the amp will not take care of. Jerry Byrd used a very small bar. Didn't seem to hurt his tone any. JMO
Dennis Schell

Shingletown, Shasta county, Kalifornia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2007 8:36 am    

I've always used a 7/8" bar, no particular reason, just because it's what I had available from the start...

Funny thing though...a larger bar "looks" big to my eyes. I asked a guy on YouTube awhile ago if he was using a "fat" bar as it "looked" large to me. Turned out he uses a 15/16" bar. Gee, am I sharp eyed or what?!?

Weird huh?

Dennis

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2007 10:16 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
There's no right or wrong, any more than there's a right or wrong color.

Of course there's a right color! Don't be silly! Razz

I use a smaller diameter bar in songs that require a "shaking" vibrato (blues, rock), and a larger diameter bar in songs that require a "rolling" vibrato (country, slow jazz).

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 9:57 am    

Ochre and puce are wrong colors... Smile
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 10:47 am    

I have a Dunlap bar that is 3/4", I got it in a trade some where. I just keep it around for a spare. You who have been around the steel guitar for a long time, correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose the 3/4" is more intended for speed pickin'??

My favorite bar in the whole wide-wide-wide world is a BJS 15/16" John Hughey. Mine sounds better with a diamond in the end of it. I call it my tone stone.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 11:34 am    

Dennis,
Did the guy with the 15/16" bar also tell you that it had a copper insert?

I think I know him... Wink
Dennis Schell

Shingletown, Shasta county, Kalifornia
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 6:13 pm    

richard burton wrote:
Dennis,
Did the guy with the 15/16" bar also tell you that it had a copper insert?

I think I know him... Wink

Gee, I'm not as sharp eyed as I thought huh?!? Embarassed

Hi pal!

Dennis

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2007 6:32 pm    

I had a bar made for me by a dude named Willy Halterman. It is an exact replica of an E.R. Watson Kona Bar from the 1950 era, only stainless steel instead of lead-filled bakelite. It tapers from 3/4 to 15/16 in 3 1/4 inches. I play a U-12 and the butt end is great for control of the lower notes on a wide voicing.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer