| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Domestic Dispute Intervention
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:15 pm    

So, I bought the Fessenden D-10 shown on Bobbe Seymour's site, my birthday present to myself. Can you guys please tell me what a wonderful investment I made so I'll feel better while sleeping in the garage for the next month? I think "She Who Must Be Obeyed" may let me back in the house about then.

KP
Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:53 pm    

I'm going to wait 'till the weather warms up some before I look at Symours site. Shocked
Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 6:22 pm    

It's not there anymore but you must be talking about that red D10 . I thought the price was definately right, besides it isn't like a computer that will eventually be thrown away. Take care of it and you will sell it for at least what you paid for it and probably more. I have bought a few guitars from bobbe and they were all ready to play with no problems. over 20 years he has bought some back from me at more than what I gave him for them in the first place. Bobbe likes to deal!! I would have bought it if I didn't already own 5 steels!! I thought you did allright.
Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 7:35 pm     try it!!!

"but HONEY ,the color reminds me of that cute teddie ya wear!"Worth a shot!!?? Laughing

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 9:09 pm    

Just remember 2 things, #1: It's easir to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission, and #2: IF you have several steels, she'll never be able to tell when you have a new one. It's worked for me with guitars for years now.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 10:06 pm    

Just think - you'll have that steel now, and if you didn't do it, you wouldn't. I'm with Bryan.

But, you know, a nice ring, new washing machine, or some other peace offering of something she wants might not hurt. This approach can lead to the poor house, but used judiciously, might not be a bad idea.
Bryan Rankins

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 4:43 am    

I remember when I was a young boy, my Dad bought my mom a deer rifle for their anniversary, which always fell right around opening day of dear season. Maybe you could try getting her a pedal steel of her very own. Be kinda romantic don't ya think, you two sitting in the music room tradin' licks. Just a thought. I've been married for 22 years, and I've probably bought my wife 8 or 9 guitars through the years. Just one word of caution... make sure to get her a pedal steel that you would really like too...you know...just in case she doesn't like it, you wouldn't want to be stuck with something neither of you want.

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 9:11 am    

Steel guitar foreplay: Two hours of begging after one hour of practice.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 10:51 am    

Wasn't it Dan Tyack that explained "don't look at it as an expensive guitar, look at it as a cheap mid-life crisis...". Smile
David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 11:15 am    

How many mid-life crises are we allowed in a single lifetime? It seems to me mid-life covers at least several years so we oughta' be allotted at least 3-4 crises. That would take care of most of my immediate steel guitar needs! Laughing
Steve Riddle

Spring Hill, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 11:19 am    

"#1: It's easir to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission"

If I'd known that two days ago, that Fessy would be sitting in my music room instead of Ken's! I was at Bobbe's and saw Dean Holman demo the guitar. Awesome guitar!
A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 2:17 pm    

Ken the practice of putting women on a pedestal has died out once it was discovered that they can give order's better from there.
William Matthews

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 3:54 pm    

Ever since my daughter, who was 5 at the time, asked my wife over a crowded Thanksgiving party table, why daddy was the only one who had a job, my wife has never complained how I spend money.. Very Happy
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 4:15 pm    

Just fix up the garage nice and buy all the guitars you want! Smile
JE:-)>
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 4:37 pm    

The mistake was to let her know you bought it. Shocked I have an entrance into my den from under the deck in the back garden. I just park my car a little down the street, and then straight into the back garden. There's a tree strategically placed so you can't see the back entrance from the windows in the living room. I never prune that tree. Laughing
Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 4:59 pm    

Never Never come home with out somthing (not just anything) of equal value for your Honey. That doesn't necessarly mean in $$$$. We need to pay more attention Their Wants. When Our first 24inch Colored Council model TV came into the Living Room (Which We all enjoyed by the way) In to the Kitchen went a New Diswasher. Something We Never Had but was wanted. That is how I have made it work. Oh If you don't know how to play, Be a Fast Learner, If you do playing something slow and romantic would help.

Desert Rose S10 3/5
Goodrich Vol.
Nashville 400
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 5:09 pm    

I keep telling y'all, all 'ya gotta do is keep your mouth shut, and make sure the new steel is roughly the same color as the old one. It worked for me. Three times!

This ought'ta be a FAQ!

Charlie

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 5:24 pm    

Quote:
I keep telling y'all, all 'ya gotta do is keep your mouth shut, and make sure the new steel is roughly the same color as the old one. It worked for me.

That stopped working for me when she found out I had 4 Teles that were exactly the same..same pickups, color, everything. I had 3 of them painted. Took car f that problem pretty quick.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 5:58 pm    

Bryan Rankins wrote:

That stopped working for me when she found out I had 4 Teles that were exactly the same

It gets a little difficult to explain why you need more than one identical instrument. Tell her you need a spare in case one breaks.
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 6:55 pm    

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
It gets a little difficult to explain why you need more than one identical instrument.

Well, my ex couldn't see the trees for the forest Smile.*

Charlie

*That was one of her good points.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 7:31 am    

I always have at least two steels set up for playing at any one time. with covers on them. I can rotate them around, and nothing new is EVER noticed (all my instruments are stored in a well-organized large closet that only I open.)
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Randy Phelps

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 7:42 am    

start perusing the home depot weekly flyer and tell the spousal unit "shoot if I'm gonna spend so much time in the garage I gotta fix it up!" epoxy floors, finished drywall, some nice cabinets, some sound damping, a good flatscreen, some cool computer recording stuff, some mics.. this could get expensive!

Besides, I kinda like getting banished to the garage... all my cool stuff is out there.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 10:42 am    

Man, you guys make me feel lucky. My wife always smiles when I get a new guitar or gear, she likes anything that makes me happy. Birthdays and Christmas she always gets me something for stage or studio, mics, tuner, rackmount gear... she's a real gem.
She loves photography so there's always something nice on her list as well.
A. Roncetti

Toronto,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 3:50 am    

This is funny! Being a member of the small population of female players I'd welcome the old man to bring home a steel any day! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 6:20 am    

I sometimes think "Heaven on Earth" would be to have a beautiful steel playin' wife.....and the necessary high income to afford her!! Laughing Laughing