| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fiasco at the Fiske
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 12:04 pm    

Yesterday's event at the Fiske Theatre in Oak Grove, LA was the second or third annual steel guitar throwdown. Two steel player's showed up, Andy Hinton and Terry Sneed, both did an oustanding job of playing, Terry and wife did a super job of singing. Had other singers who did a good job. Fed Ex delivered my new U 12 Fessenden late Fri I just barely had time to get it out of the case and tune it but I did get to show it off. The crowd was sparse although T A Gibson from Leesville, LA made a special trip to attend. Country Jack Harper always does a good job of making all welcome and so do the owners and managers of the Fiske Theatre. THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE IN THE SOUTH TO HAVE A STEEL SHOW, HELLOoooo! The Fiske will seat over 600, climate controlled, comfortable theatre soft seats, good acoustics and a very nice stage. The town of Oak Grove is not the typical delta town, I can't adequately describe it but it has that home town feel, friendliest people anywhere.

Oak grove is centrally located to the Ark La Miss area, for the life of me I can't understand why more steel players from the AR LA MS area will not give their support. I can say with certainty the past two June Steel Guitar Flings some of the best players in the world came and played their tails off for the handful of folks that attended. Players like the Newberrys, Jerry, Austin and Donna, the Rollens, Hal Higgins, Charlie Moore, Jimmy Lewis, Rob Parker, Andy Hinton, Terry Sneed, my good buddy Lavelle Pierce, Wayne Cox, Nicky Ezell and others like Mac Belingrath from Pine Bluff Ar came and played guitar and I almost forgot "Brother" Netherly bass and steel picker. I am sure I missed some. I suppose this should be more about the local and regional folks that don't come and support the steel guitar than about steel pickers. The owners of the Fiske have been more than gracious in providing such a nice place. As nice as it is it does cost money for upkeep, cooling and always spotlessly clean. So far they haven't asked for a dime that I know of.

So the real purpose of this post is to ask forum members for their input and suggestion on how to grow and promote steel guitar in this area of the AR LA MS.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 4:15 pm     Fiske

Thanks for the kind words Billy. I know your proud of your New red Fessy, as you should be. That steel has one of the best tones of any I've heard. Enjoyed playing with you and Andy and Country Jack and all the bunch.
Quote:
THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE IN THE SOUTH TO HAVE A STEEL SHOW, HELLOoooo!

Agree, I was expecting to see as many as we had last year, but only three steel players showed up. Country Jack and Harold and Betty are real fine people, and go out of there way to accomadate us steel players, and guitar pickers. I realize some players had already commited to play other places, but I just think there could have been more than three to show up. Let's all try and give the Fiske Theater better turnouts in the future. Smile

Terry
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 8:36 pm    

Sounds like you have a real nice club started. Also sounds like some growing pains, which is typical of new clubs. Hang in there, it will get better. Maybe push more local advertising to get local attendance up more, ect. Many locals love country music and would probably come. Best to give the benefit of the doubt and keep a good positive attitude for next time. Maybe more will make it then. Just my opinion.
Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 3:41 am     Fiasco at the Fiske

Hello All:
Like Terry, I appreciate the kind words. Although the turnout was disapointing, those of us who came had a great time. I even forgot to eat 'till we started home.
I think the reason for lack of people this time was short notice & very little publisity. As I understand from Jack, no Jam was planned for this time untill I emailed him three weeks aggo. That's short notice for any kind of show. Also, with no money to pay for some kind of advertizing, how can you expect to get a crowd. I certainlly don't expect the owners to pay for it with no money comming in to cover at least the cost. I have made every Jam held at the Fiske & have never been ask for a dime. Other such jams I've played had a donation jar or box. Nothing is required but most do not mind kicking in a little.
Maybe too, We should look at getting a club organized, with some reasonable annual dues to offset some of the expences. I know Billy tried to start something like this last year but nothing ever came off it. I'm not much of an organizer, but would be interested in joining & helping someone who is.
Anyway, Had a great time saturday at the Fiske
Andy H.
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 6:40 am     Fiske Jam

Billy,
I too had a great time when I came to your show..Great theater to have it, and everyone was so nice and helpful..I would have liked to make this one, but April and May is always a busy time..I hope the area pickers respond, and maybe you guys can get a club organized there....but it takes a lot of work, by lots of people..
Maybe a mini-jam in someones garage or 'shed'..every two or three weeks ???? To get people interested..
Wish you good luck, and much success..
Hope to see you all down the road..
RP...'come on in'...