| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Under Beds, In Closets, Up in the Attic.... Where are they?
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 12:59 pm    

MSA, Shobud,MCI,EMCI Dekley,Zum,Mullen,BMI, ZB and Emmons made thousands and thousands of pedal steels in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Of course, Marlen, Williams, Pedalmaster, and a few I am forgetting also helped out.

Where are all these old pedal steels? Does Bobbie Seymour keep a secret warehouse? How many of these are sitting under the bed in the case?
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:01 pm    

Hi Steve, I have a D10 EMCI 8/6 in the case in a closet. Jody.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:11 pm    

..I think Erv Niehaus and Jay Ganz have about half of them..

..I got my 66 Bolt-on and a D-10 BMI both from a local newspaper ad, from an 80-something old steeler of some renown who had them sitting in a self-storage facility while he divorced his second wife to marry a 3rd one...a musician's musician.

Last edited by Pat Burns on 12 Apr 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:14 pm    

I have mine.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:31 pm    

My 1974 Emmons is in its case because my GFI Ultra D-10 is my main guitar.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 1:48 pm    

I think Erv has a steel guitar farm where they run free and do what steel guitars do. Wink
"Don't look, Ethel!" Too late. She's already been Mooneyed.

Arch.
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 2:24 pm    

I have 4 of 'em!
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 3:33 pm    

set them free!
Charles Pompe

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 3:35 pm    

My P/P stays in the case/closet. Its a shame...but.....my carter is light and smooth and sounds great. Confused

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 3:54 pm    

I found two of my ShoBuds in the case and under beds. I bought them both. One is a Super Pro and the other is LDG. Same story for both. The owners had them for years and never played them. Duane Becker
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 3:58 pm    

This is a trick guys!!! Never give up your hiding places. Wives could be lurking near. I'm still trying to heal up from last time I spend time in the dog house. South Texas fleas and fire ants from hell. Just kiding. I have three. That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!!

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 4:54 pm    

I can't imagine anyone trashing a steel guitar, so I have to believe that almost all the steel guitars ever produced still exist. As you say, where are they ?
Dave Todd

Jonestown, Tx.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 5:13 pm    

I don't know but in about 3 months, once I'm moved and settled, I want one of them....... Surprised And I'll be lookin.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 5:38 pm    

This Pro III is in my living room taking up space,as I did in school.it belongs to a friend of mine who wants to sell it?The Dekley is in my bedroom,That's my practice guitar,My Desert Rose is in my studio,My Danos,and old Silvertones are in a hiding place...It's so secret I can't even remember where!

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 5:47 pm    

I'll bet alot of them were butchered and trashed. I have restored some guitars that were so rusted and deteriorated that they were far from useable. I knowe where there are some right now. I have seen many butchered guitars that had their back necks torn off and the mechanics changed. I'm getting ready to do a restoration right now on one such guitar. I have to believe that more than a few wound up in the garbage after abuse. Its still going on today with people butchering steels. It makes me mad after what I've seen.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 7:07 pm    

I got em and you aint gettin em neither....

Old Bud..
William Fraser

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:09 am    

Ive got a room full, all ready to play, nothing newer than '73. Just sell that old tele on the wall , it will get you a few. Cool

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 4:06 am    

Have an MSA S12 bought new in 1975, been in the case since 1980. Jay Y.
Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 11:18 am    

I recently "rescued" a Z.B. Custom. It's severely butchered right now...but it will shine again.

Here in a few months, Kevin Hatton will "bring it back from the dead". I'm so excited.

I sit and stare at it & mess with it & imagine how awesome it will soon be once it gets restored...I gotta decide the color scheme & the copedant.

We're so lucky that there are people like Kevin Hatton, Greg Jones, John Coop & all the other skilled craftsman that can restore abused steels back to new!!!

Casey
Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 11:50 am     What happened to them?

I can't remember they guys name (maybe you can help me here) but he was in Portsmouth, OH., who alledgedly had a barn full of Sho-Bud guitars and parts, but he suddenly died of a heart attack 'bout a year or 1.5 yrs ago or so. I wonder if his widow ever disposed of all the stuff he had? If so, who has it now? I wonder if he ever inventorierd all the stuff he had to fully "know" what all he had? Anyhow, I'd like to know. I mite need some parts in the future. And you all ask an excellent question I've wondered for years. Where are all the steels of the past?
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 1:20 pm    

...or at least he had orders on the barnfull of parts... Rolling Eyes
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:08 pm    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
...butchered and trashed Shocked . ...so rusted and deteriorated that they were far from useable Shocked Shocked ...had their back necks torn off and the mechanics changed Shocked Shocked Shocked ...wound up in the garbage after abuse.... Rolling Eyes

Aaaarrrghhhh ! No I can't take it ! This is too much of a horror story. It worse than the chainsaw massacre.... Crying or Very sad
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 3:17 pm     Where Are They

There is a lot of action on rare guitars, but the action is below the radar. I know of thirteen Bigsbys that have changed hands last year -- how many are known to be made?--eighty or so? I know of three 1964 Emmons that changed hands last year, and two that couldn't be budged -- that is out of maybe seventeen or eighteen 1964s made?
The guitars are out there but it takes a motivated market to make them become visible.