| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sleepwalk tuning/str guage
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2007 10:07 pm    

Does anyone know the actual tuning that Santo and johnny used on his T8 Fender custom in the 1959 broadcast of sleepwalk. Also knowing the string guages would be nice as wll.

Also has anyone had problems getting the harmonics to ring and sustain long enough to play the harmonic lick in the song. I have tried it on my D8 stringmaster but I can't get it to chime like santo/johnny plays it.

Any suggestions
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2007 11:01 pm    

Ben wonders about
Quote:
....getting the harmonics to ring and sustain long enough to play the harmonic lick in the song...

Harmonics on fret 5 particularly need a very, very light touch with the little pinkie and on fret 7 a very light touch with same pinkie in order to get sustain. On fret 12 a light touch with pinkie.

I'm not absolutely sure about the tuning used but I believe it was C6th.

Aloha, Smile
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 1:04 am    

Ben,

C#m7 tuning.

Do a search on youtube. Good video of him doing the chime.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 5:25 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk_0N85wNk

Here it is, Ron
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 5:37 am    

Our buddy, Herb Steiner, has a whole course out on Sleepwalk alone. He has the tab and CD in several different tunings. Well worth the money.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 5:52 am    

I always thought it was C6,but I saw somewhere that it was G6.dunno. Confused PJ
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 8:53 am    

Ben, if you look at the video you can see where the chimes are played. Here's a link to the C#m7 tab for it. http://www.jessepearsonguitar.com/sleepwalk.htm
Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 9:28 am    

Playing Sleepwalk in C#m7 tuning erases all doubt about what tuning was used...

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 10:27 am    

I agree. I had been noodling around that tune in open G. close, but not accurate.
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 11:21 am    

OK It's official. This is the tuning for sleepwalk in the key of C#m7.

It is EC#G#EC#BG#E

1. E
2. C#
3. G#
4. E
5. C#
6. B
7. G#
8. E

Pearson's tab only shows six strings so I added the other two which is definitely right. The original version uses a the low E 8th string for a run in the middle of the song.

NOTE:Edited by Brad to clarify tuning from bass (string Cool to treble (string 1).
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 1:35 pm    

Yep. That's it undoubtedly. I just put the right strings on and tuned to this tuning and it sounds just like the real deal

Thanks everyone

Ben
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 2:25 pm    

Confused OK Guys,I'm seein the C#m as posted by Ben,no problem.But it also looks like an E6th to me.I need some theory education please.Not tryin to be a smart adz,really need your help to learn a little theory.
Thanks Smile PJ
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 2:59 pm    

I have the original sheetmusic and it says written in E7th. Hummmm email me for a copy.

Ron
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 3:01 pm    

C#m is the relative minor of E. That means their scales are actually the same notes. The only difference is that you start the scale with the C# and end with the C# but your still playing the E scale.

Am and C have the same relationship, as well as the other scales. A way to remember this is say in the key of C, C is your root. If you walk down two notes of the C scale,(C-B-A), the third note will always be your minor root note. So in this case would be Am.

Another one most often used is Em and G. Exact same thing. Play a G scale but start with the E and end with the E. There's you Em scale.

This theory is why the E or E6 or E13 looks like the C#m or C#m7. They all have the same notes common in a scale. Just arranged differently.

Now go take some tylenol after you smoke a cigarette or two.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 3:53 pm    

Very Happy OK Ben, got it.Thanks.One more question,if we sub the lower C# for a B note,would it then be a ligit E6th? Really appreciate this help..
PJ
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 8:25 am    

Perhaps this tuning question should be addressed to Johnny Farina.
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 10:12 am    

In an interview in the "Unsung Heroes" section of "Guitar Player" magazine in the late '80's, Santo mentioned that he recorded "Sleepwalk" and "Teardrop" with C#m7 tuning. He also happened to have A6th and E7th tunings on the other necks of his triple-neck Stringmaster.

I am convinced that a number of other hits by Santo & Johnny were recorded with C#m7.

I believe he had some help from the engineer or volume pedal/control when the harmonic run is heard on "Teardrop" since I have never been able to get that much relatively high volume with harmonics.
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 5:34 pm    

Amen.

I have desparately tried getting my harmonic to ring like johnny's and I can't do it. I think you are right. I think someone was behind the curtain cranking the volume up or something when he did those long harmonics. I've never heard anyone who can get a long harmonic like that except johnny. I can get a pretty good one with the overdrive cranked up pretty high but I don't think I want to play the rest of the song like heavy metal.

Just my 2 cents
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2007 12:26 pm    

I edited the post above to clarify the tuning for someone who asked. From string 1, the highest string, to string 8, the lowest string, the tuning is:

1. E
2. C#
3. G#
4. E
5. C#
6. B
7. G#
8. E
Rockne Riddlebarger

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2007 11:53 am    

Thanks Mike for posting that YouTube site for Santo & Johnny, it's the first time I've ever seen them play. I wonder how many tunings this song has actually been played in over the years? I have been playing it in a six string A6 tuning in the key of C for over a decade and was convinced that was the original tuning but after seeng the video and reading the above analasis I have to agree with the C#m7 tuning. That said, I think I will continue playing it in the A6 though, I'm too old and too lazy to relearn it now! Thanks for all the insights....Rockne
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2007 12:07 pm     Sleepwalk

1st: You should ask SANTO because he is the one who played the steel on Sleepwalk.
2nd: I've been playing the song using my E9th tuning for years and don't have any problem with getting the sustain on the harmonics. Just my opinion.
Don
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2007 3:03 pm    

I'm curious about what he played through. There seems to be a little distortion that might help the sustain.
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2007 5:27 am    

So what string gauges do you think I should use for this tuning?

I have a T-8 Magnatone waiting.....

Thanks

Jay
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2007 5:46 am     AMaj7

Rockne Riddlebarger wrote:
Thanks Mike for posting that YouTube site for Santo & Johnny, it's the first time I've ever seen them play. I wonder how many tunings this song has actually been played in over the years? I have been playing it in a six string A6 tuning in the key of C for over a decade and was convinced that was the original tuning but after seeng the video and reading the above analasis I have to agree with the C#m7 tuning. That said, I think I will continue playing it in the A6 though, I'm too old and too lazy to relearn it now! Thanks for all the insights....Rockne

I retuned my A6 tuning (hi-lo: E-C#-A-F#-E-C#) on one of my 6-stringers to this: E-C#-G#-E-C#-A, giving me an AMaj7 tuning. I basically have the C#m on the top 5 strings, but with an A in the bass.

This gives me a full CMaj7 root chord at the third fret when I want to strum all the strings. If I just leave that A out, I'm playing in C#m for the rest of the tune. The only thing I don't have is the bass walkup he does, but I play with a bass player, so don't need that part there. Very Happy

The strings are maybe not quite as tight on the lower three strings, but it really works beautifully.
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2007 5:51 am    

Santo used C#minor7th and Johnny does now as well, trust me. Or you can use A6th as I do. either one will do the job.

Last edited by Jody Carver on 24 Jun 2007 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total