| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Laptop On Gigs
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 11:48 am    

I'd like to have my laptop easily accessible to me when we practice and on gigs. Ideally, it would sit right in front of me with a small table to move my USB mouse around on. Is there any kind of "table attachment" that I could add to the front of my steel without damaging it? Maybe something that grabs the front legs?

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 11:49 am    

In case anyone is interested, I would use the laptop to store lyrics, tablature, special song notes, chord charts, .mp3 files, etc.

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 12:00 pm    

Gary,
I have a small 18"X24" table that I purchased at Wal-Mart that would be ideal for what you want. It is plastic/resin type that has fold up, adjustable higth legs, about $20. The biggest problem I see is laptop taking legs/drunks knocking it over,etc. Plenty of room for laptop, and small optical mouse.

BF
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 6:21 pm     Lap Top Steel or Computer?

Just kiddin.
I use a good old wooden TV tray. There is more gap than I like between the TV table edge and the front edge on my guitar. A lightweight piece of wood or something clamped down should workbetter than what I have. I like to set it up on the left side. Where I can still see the folks, and not have to fool with picks.

I have a lot of charts on BIAB and it sure is easy to rearrange and shuffle files.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 8:10 pm    

The others in the band set up song books on stands. I've never really liked that idea. I could have ALL of my lyrics and such right in one place. With a little editing at home, I could click to go to any song.

The drummer also has only one speed for clicking off songs. I could use the computer to give us the correct timing for starting songs.

www.16tracks.com
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 8:54 pm     Clamps for table

Gary,
I make aluminum clamps which fit steel guitar legs. I use them for attaching arm rests that I make, But I'd bet they would work for a place to mount your lap top.
Give me an Idea of what size table top you would need, and approximately how much weight, then I'll see what I can come up with. I've been thinking about the same thing, however, I don't own a laptop yet.
Thanks,
Don Blood
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2007 12:58 pm    

Hey Don. I play a Carter D-10. Would your clamps scratch or otherwise damage the legs?

I guess I would need a table about the width of my guitar (or a little less) and about 14 inches deep (away from me).

If you can come up with something useful, I'll pay you for it.

gs

www.16tracks.com
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2007 3:07 pm    

Gary,
No, the clamps are aluminum and will not damage nor scratch the legs. I don't know if you've ever seen the
arm rest pads I make, but they are adjustable and will fit most psg with round legs 7/8 diameter. I even custom make them for square legs and larger legs such as the older fender psg. You can see them at www.donblood.com

I'm pretty sure I can come up with something that would work. Please let me know the approximate weight of the laptop, or whatever you plan on placing on the table at one time. Also, let me know the center to center distance between legs and any color preference for the table.

Thanks,
Don Blood
Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 9:38 am    

Hmm, this sounds pretty dang interesting. I'd be interested in something along these lines as well. I'd imagine there would be quite a few of us out there that could use something like this. I'm using the Voodoo Labs Ground Control midi unit, and I'd LOVE to have some way of putting that on a platform that is attached to the legs. Dimensions: 17" wide x 11" deep x 2-1/2" max height. Weight is approx 12 lbs.

Thanks for starting the post Gary. Don, I'd love to talk to you about it after you get Gary fixed up.

best,
LarryW
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 11:27 am    

I'll try and get something going in the next few days. I'm also working on an engineering degree and working 12 hr shifts, so it may take a few days, but I'm sure I can come up with something that will work.
Thanks,
Don
Dennis Schell

Shingletown, Shasta county, Kalifornia
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 1:08 pm    

Hey, I like your armrests Don!
It appears from the photos at your site that once the attachment bracket is set up to fit the legs, there is only a single "allen bolt" on either side to take the unit on/off the guitar...Is that right?
Or is the unit "semi permanent"?

(I've got to get a "round tuit" and build a case for my steel and I could easily add a compartment to fit one of those cool armrests in....)

At any rate...Nice!

Dennis

BTW, sorry to get kinda "off thread" here...

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 8:26 pm    

That's correct, just loosen one allen bolt on each side, it doesn't even have to come all of the way out in order to remove the armrest.

Thanks,
Don