Author Topic:  Dobro Capo?
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 10:45 am    

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Dobro capo? Thanks, JC
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 12:45 pm    

Just about any place that sells resophonic guitars or resophonic guitar accessories sells capos, Jody. Have you done a search? Smile
Elderly Music is one good source. Resophonic Outfitters is another. Even eBay has lots available.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 12:53 pm    

Finding one is the easy part. Deciding which one to get is the hard part. I use the Scheerhorn capo.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 6:59 pm    

Jody, I love the Beard Dobro capo. It has the bone 'nut' and is heavy brass. It'll work for a 6 to 8 string guitar. Never had any issues with it, if the guitar player wil strum a chord for me as I'm placing it. Got mine from Stewmac.com
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 12:44 am    

Oh god, here we go again. Wink

I have the Beard capo, and the term I use for any of these dobro capos is "tone death." In other words, the best ones will limit the amount of tone death. Choosing between any two dobro capos is like the popular expression often used when deciding to vote in an election: picking the lesser of two evils.

I think the Beard capo is fair. And it also kills a fair amount of tone.

The best I have used so far is the new Scheerhorn, as mentioned by Bill, and the Bradley capo. In the next day or so, others will chime in with their favorites. The Leno gets a fair amount of votes.

This whole concept of dobro capos is a work in progress. I say that because as of today, both Beard and Tim Scheerhorn are working on "new and improved" capos. And Tim's current capo has only been out about two years, if that-and it is a departure from the Scheerhorn/Flux capo designed long ago by Jerry Douglas. Jerry has been reported fairly recently to have been playing with a a new Beard prototype capo.

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 9:48 am    

Thanks for all the info. guys! I'm a newbie to the Dobro...I'm a pedal steel player, but would really like to learn more about Dobro techniques. I saw Stacy Phillips using a capo to get open string scales in other keys, like "A", but I didn't realize that a capo would mess with the tone like that.

JC
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 10:30 am    

A few folks here have posted in the past that they like the Shubb dobro capo. It clamps to the underside of the neck like a capo for a flattop guitar.

I've never tried one, but I have heard and read that it doesn't work that great unless your string height is right on the money, and it is cumbersome.

So the better dobro capos that attach to the strings and "float" have a tendency to have more mass than the lighter ones. So less "death" to the tone.

It is good to play as much as possible without a capo, I think you learn the neck better, and continually come up with more creative ideas, and it forces you to learn your scales better in a bunch of different keys.

Bluegrass dobro players lean on the capo when they are playing, for example, a fast "fiddle tune" in the key of A. Then they can capo at 2 (when tuned to G), and do all the hammer on/pull off licks that they would use on a song in G with no capo. Makes it easier to keep up on a rapid tempo song.

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 10:43 am    

Agreeing that it's better to play a lot without a capo, to know the guitar better. But there is some real creative juice with using one, for example using "open D" major scales capoed at fret 1 for key of Eb.
I have most of the standard modern Dobro capos, and my favorite for least tonal loss and ease of use is the massive brass Deneve. Bradley comes in a close second, and has a nicer finish.
Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 12:04 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Agreeing that it's better to play a lot without a capo, to know the guitar better. But there is some real creative juice with using one, for example using "open D" major scales capoed at fret 1 for key of Eb.
I have most of the standard modern Dobro capos, and my favorite for least tonal loss and ease of use is the massive brass Deneve. Bradley comes in a close second, and has a nicer finish.

Good post, Mark. Thanks!

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 4:37 pm     dobro capo

Jody,
Send me your snail mail address and I will send you one. I have a couple and never use them. SmileSmile Billy
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 6:20 pm    

Wow, Billy thanks so much! Ya can't beat "free", haha! Laughing Email sent.

JC