| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weissenborns
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 1:29 pm    

This seller has 4 Weissenborns up for sale at fairly low opening bids with no reserve.
They all look to be in really good condition.
His shipping charge is $270, and he got very nasty and insulting with someone who inquired about it.
I'm no Weissenborn expert. What do you guys think about these guitars?
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 1:39 pm    

Rick,

One thing I can state is that the seller has no insight as to how to deal with a potential bidder. He was very rude and ignored all the basics of doing business. It's probably the most inappropriate response from a seller to a well meaning bidder that I have seen. Right off he was super negative and not self explanatory.

Last edited by Gary Lynch on 3 Apr 2007 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 1:39 pm     Re: Weissenborns

Rick Alexander wrote:
he got very nasty and insulting with someone who inquired about it.

You can say that again:

"Yeah well you obviously don't ship guitars, high shipping charges always means fraud, good logic, what grade are you in? Why are you emailing me? Maybe you should get a life and check your information and stop casting slanderous accusations. I’m publishing your question to show the world how stupid you are, next time think before you push send."

This is not someone I'd want to buy an instrument from, no matter how good it might be....

Steinar
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 2:04 pm    

OK, here goes. I won an auction with this seller about 2 months ago on a Standel cabinet. I emailed him afterwards about the shipping and he fired back with a reponse that I didn't like, so I told him to shove the cabinet up his ass. That coupled with the fact that I think he had a shill bidder.

He relisted the cabinet again and again, each time raising the starting bid price to where it's at now--$600 and never bid on. I would not do business with this guy, ever.

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 2:07 pm    

Is there any way to report this abusive SOB to ebay based on his response to that question?

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 2:18 pm    

I'm no expert but this one which allegedly has "Absolutely no modifications or repairs" seem to have had the tuners replaced.

But I guess that's no big deal compared to the rudeness of the seller.

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 6:44 pm    

Right you are Fred - clearly replacements.
So, he's a nasty liar. And he doesn't seem to care who knows it!

Thanks for the input guys. I'd love to have an original Weissenborn or 2, but it's not worth that kind of aggravation.

Does anyone have a Lazy River Weissenborn?
How do they compare to the original?
Darrell Urbien

Echo Park, California
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 6:53 pm    

To be fair, he does talk about the tuner replacements later in the description of that item. But he didn't change the original text that says no mods. Maybe I should ask him a question and bring this up? Rolling Eyes
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 7:09 pm    

Rick Alexander wrote:

Does anyone have a Lazy River Weissenborn?
How do they compare to the original?

I'm well into my 2nd Lazy River now, but I can't compare it to the originals since I've never played one. What I can say though is that it's an amazing instrument for the money.

From what I've read about the vintage ones I've got the impression that the quality vary a lot, and it's usually a good idea to try before you buy.
I'd love to play a good vintage someday, but there's not too many of those floating around in Norway. I'd be surprised if there's any at all...

Steinar
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 7:37 pm    

Steinar, I listened to the MP3 samples of 3 different models on the Lazy River site, and the rosewood/spruce top sounded the best to me. Which model(s) do you have, and what factors influenced your choice?
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 2:15 am    

My first model was a walnut body with spruce top, and it was as loud or louder than most guitars. At first I thought it sounded a bit boxy and narrow, with a strong focus on the mid freqs, but Rance promised me it would open up over time and it sure did. It had a nice bluesy 'edge' to it, but could also be mellow when I wanted it to ("Northern Lights" on my CD is the walnut/spruce Lazy River).

My current one is a mahogany teardrop model, and it has a much quieter and softer tone, warm bass and surprisingly good sustain. I miss the walnut/spruce sound though, so my next weiss will definitely be in that combo.

I don't know about the rosewood/spruce, never tried one, but in general I think those soundclips on the Lazy River site sounds awful (unless he's changed them lately) - way too bright and thin sounding, doesn't give a true impression at all, IMHO..

I can send you an mp3 of the 'raw' weissenborn track for "Northern Lights" if you like.

Steinar
Fred Kinbom

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 2:28 am    

Rick (and Steinar),

I have a Lazy River Weissenborn that - although it's only 4 months old - sounds great. I also tried an original Weissenborn (style 1 from 1928) in a shop in Paris a few weeks ago. It was lovely. But EUR 4,200 for this original style 1 compared with USD 1,400 for a "style 1" (i.e. basic cosmetic features) Lazy River - well it's easy to see who wins the value for money contest. Wink

Comparing a 79-year old instument with a brand new one is also not really fair. But for what it's worth, I'd say that this particular Weissenborn (the only original one I've tried) had a slightly smoother, warmer bass while I prefer the shimmering highs of the Lazy River.

I started out with cheap Oahus (that I still play) and the only Weissenborn-style guitars that I have liked as much or more than the Oahus are my Lazy River, Jim Petit's home made one and this particular style 1 original Weissenborn.

Regarding wood, I went for a Sitka spruce/black walnut Lazy River for the following reasons:

1. Steinar Gregertsen and Terry Vun Cannon. Wink
2. Concern for endangered woods.

Have a good day!

Fred

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 3:48 am    

hi all. I think I was the recipient of that nasty reply. I wrote asking why the shipping seemed high. innocent enough.
nasty man.
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 5:56 am    

Randy,

If the seller was that nasty just becasue of a question you asked, just think what he would be like if you had an issue with the guitar after it arrived!
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 6:36 am    

Gary. what a piece of work. no wonder he has to repost those guitars at several places.
a friend who goes to LA on business often and has been in that guys store. he said it was very cool there because it is chock full of vintage gear.

I told him about the nasty man and he said 'no wonder it is always full'.

Ive had bad days but such a sour life this guy must have.

I pass.

Last edited by Randy Reeves on 5 Apr 2007 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 7:05 am    

Randy, I guess we outed his nasty @$$.

Gary, that's what I was thinking - and apparently that's what happened with Mike's experience. So we need to boycott myvintagegear. He's just not a people person. How could someone be surrounded by such beauty and still be so bitter?

Steinar, yes I would be interested in hearing that. And I think I'll go and listen to your CD again. I listened to it several times right after I got it, but not with the idea of "evaluating" the Lazy River. This time I'll try not to get lost in the sonic imagery . .

Fred, you're right of course - it's not an equitable comparison to make. I just wanted to get some impression of how they stack up quality wise. As you mentioned the originals cost a lot more, and I'm wondering if it would be worth the difference. Based on everything you guys have said - the player in me says just get a Lazy River and the collector in me says get a Weissenborn someday (but not from nastyman!) I wish I could somehow try out the various models one after the other . .
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 3:32 am    

Rick - did you get the mp3?

Steinar
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 6:39 am    

I did, Steinar - thank you buddy.
That guitar sounds wonderful with no FX or EQ.
I do believe I want one! The price is reasonable enough . .
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 7:09 am    

Rick...Go ahead & get a Lazy River...you will not regret it & you can take your time & keep your eye open for an older collectable weiss...

...I love mine...Terry V.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 9:50 am    

Terry, I see Rance has included his little "signature" on your weiss,- that last fret is way off, just as on my teardrop model. Not that it matters much, in that register I play entirely by ear anyway... Wink

Steinar
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 2:01 pm    

Thanks Terry! Is your guitar walnut and spruce?
It sure is pretty . .

So what tuning do you guys use - is it D or low bass G or . .
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 2:46 pm    

I use D almost exclusively ("Northern Lights" is Dmaj7), but I'm willing to retune to low bass G if the pay is good enough... Wink

Steinar
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 2:57 pm    

Yeah Rick...Walnut & Spruce...I mainly use open D & E tuning...I asked Rance to make the Fret Markers in the shapes to match my National Dynamics with a letter V on the 12th fret...he really does great work...Terry V.
Fred Kinbom

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 5:54 pm    

I use mostly D major/minor and G major/minor.

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 5:12 am    

Fred, that is such a pretty guitar.
I am a sucker form rope binding.