| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  April's free gospel tab----"Ridin' Down the Canyon"
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 6:52 am    

I guess my Southwestern roots are showing through with this month's gospel tab. I am a native son of New Mexico and dearly love the grandeur of the Southwest.

So did Smiley Burnett when he wrote this song on the back of a magazine while traveling through New Mexico and Arizona with Gene Autry in 1934.

Lester Alvin (Smiley) Burnett was born in 1911 in Illinois to parents who were both ordained ministers of the Christian church. By the time Smiley was 9 years of age, he could play 10 instruments and by the age of 22, he has mastered about 50. Smiley passed away in 1967. It should be noted that in Smiley's lifetime, he never drank, smoked or gambled. He wrote almost all the songs for the movies in which he appeared and is credited with writing approx. 400 songs.

This months song, "Ridin' Down the Canyon", is currently in the United States Congressional Hall of Fame as being one of the top 10 most beautiful ballads. I never really considered this song to be a gospel song but I discovered the sheet music for it in a Bill Gaither song book. Who am I to second guess Bill Gaither!!!

This truly is a great song and gives tribute to God's wonderful creation. It has some very interesting chord patterns and worked up very well in the E9th pedal tuning.

If you would like to sample an example of Smiley Burnett's song writing talent, just give me a shout and I will put a copy of the tab for "Ridin' Down the Canyon" in the mail for you.

Happy trails!
Erv
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 7:06 am    

Yes please Erv.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 7:20 am    

Allen,
It will be in the mail today. Very Happy
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 9:56 am     Thank you

Erv,
Please send me a copy. BTW I'm still working on the package of tabs you sent and are they good for adjusting my attitude. Thank you again for your good work..What part of New Mexico are you from?....jr
Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 11:13 am    

I'd love to have this one, Erv. And if you don't mind, please email me your updated list.

Many thanks and best regards,

Marmet, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 1:30 pm    

Hey Erv,
Sounds like another great one. Count me in please...

Thank you and God bless,
Rok Hoblitzell
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 5:28 pm     April's free gospel tab----"Ridin' Down the Canyon"

Please send me a copy, Erv, and thanks in advance.

Sherman
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2007 5:48 pm    

Hi Erv, sent you an e-mail. Would love to have a copy of this. As you said "happy trails" Art
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 1:29 am    

Count me in Erv
Thanx again & have a Blessed Sunday
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:50 am    

I really think you will enjoy playing this song.

I was born in Albuquerque and have lived all over the state; San Jon, Clovis, Hobbs, Farmington, Gallup and etc. My dad worked road construction and we lived where ever the work was. I have cousins living in Santa Fe and also have two uncles buried in the National Cemetery there. I even lived for a while on the Navajo Indian Reservation at Window Rock, Arizona.

I will get your tabs in the mail but I need the postal addresses for Sherman and Art.
Have a blessed Sunday and see you in church.
The good Lord is expecting you! Very Happy
Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 9:43 am    

Me again Erv.

Thanks,
Jim
Bill OConnor

Castle Rock, Washington, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:35 pm     APRIL GOSPEL TAB

ERV, RIDING DOWN THE CANYON IS A VERY SOOTHING SONG. UNLIKE WHAT WE ARE GETTING TODAY .SOME OF MY FRIENDS I PLAY GOSPEL WITH ARE TAKING THIS TYPE OF SONG. AND CHANGING THE WORDS TO FIT INTO GOSPEL PROGRAMS. JUST A FEW WORDS CHANGED CAN TURN INTO A GREAT MESSAGE. YES I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS ONE. MY HAT OFF TO YOU AGAIN.
Robert C. McKee

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 5:39 pm     latest tab

Hi Erv,
As usual, count me in. I can't tell you how much I love your tabs. I've been at it 3 months now on psg, and I sound like a pro thanks to your tabs. I do play other instruments, but being able to play songs that I already know how they're supposed to go just makes it so much easier. Thank you so much. May you always be blessed.
Bob
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 6:13 am    

Thanks for all the kind words.
I'm glad that I can help you along on the pedal steel guitar path. It's not an easy road.

I feel that "Ridin' Down the Canyon" could be interpreted to represent heaven, especially for a cowboy.

"When evening chores are over at our ranch house on the plain(in the sky)". A very easy lyric change.

This would be a very appropriate number for those of you involved in the Cowboy Churches. Very Happy
Joe Harwell

"I've never been bad." ........ Many, LA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:30 am     Roy and Down the Canyon

Saw this:

Ridin' Down the Canyon
1942-USA-Musical Western

PLOT DESCRIPTION
Roy Rogers takes on crooked wartime profiteeers in the musical western Ridin' Down the Canyon. Posing as solid citizens, the crooks spend their evening hours stealing horses from local ranchers, then selling the steeds to the government at exorbitant prices. The head of the bad guys runs a dude ranch where Rogers and his pals (The Sons of the Pioneers) are employed. When Rogers figures out what's what, he sets about to bring the rustlers to justice. There's some piquancy in the fact that the character played by juvenile actor Buzzy Henry is named Bobby Blake; within a few years, the real Bobby Blake (who later grew up to become Robert Blake) would be appearing as Little Beaver in Republic's "Red Ryder" western series. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 9:44 am    

It doesn't look like Smiley Burnett is in this

movie, though. It looks like it's "Gabby Hayes". Very Happy
Joe Harwell

"I've never been bad." ........ Many, LA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 10:05 am     Frog Millhouse

Now I know who he is:

http://www.smileyburnette.org/

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 10:13 am    

That's him!!!

Besides appearing in numerous westerns, he played

the part of Charley Pratt on Petticoat Junction. Very Happy
Hal Stackhouse

Muldrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 5:23 am    

GOOD MORNING ERV, AS USUAL PLEASE SEND ME A COPY OF THIS MONTH'S TAB. THANKS FOR THE INFO ON SMILEY BURNETT. THAT WAS SOME THINGS I NEVER KNEW ABOUT HIM.
HAL
MULDROW OK

SIERRA 10 3X5, MSA SUNBURST 12 STR. 8X4, MSA CLASSIC 12 STR. 8X5, FENDER STEEL KING, PEAVY 112
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 6:01 am    

Hal,
I'll get that tab in the mail for you today.

Yes, Smiley was quite a unique individual. Very Happy
Mylos Sonka

Larkspur CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 9:24 am    

I have been told by a couple of the western swing old timers around Sacramento who knew Smiley Burnette that he was the first person they knew who had a car phone. It was a rather expensive affair, broadcast by radio and transferred by operators to a phone line. He would call from the road to announce he was coming in, and park his camper alongside a friend's house.

He had a great radio show, the Smiley Burnette Show, with a great band, the Whippoorwills which featured Roy Lanham on guitar. Tom Morrell was a big fan of the Whippoorwills and I sent him a few hours of those shows, and he sent me all his TWTH CDs and cassettes. When he lost everything in the fire, I called and offered to replace the Smiley Burnette stuff. But he said he loved that material so much he had it in his truck and it didn't get burned up.

And that's all I know to add about Smiley Burnette, except to say I think he was a genius.

Mylos
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 9:54 am    

Another story about Smilely:

While coming into a new town, Smiley liked pulling the following joke:
Stephen (Smiley's oldest son) would drive Smiley into town and Smiley (dressed in his "Frog" attire)
would have him stop the Cadillac next to the curb where some people have gathered. Smiley would open up the back door and get out with a whiskbroom and dustpan, sweep up some cigar or cigarette butts and get back into the car. Then Stephen would drive away. Smiley would watch in the mirror to see the reaction. He delighted in observing the town people's reaction.

Quite a character! Very Happy
Marlan Smith

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 7:40 pm    

Hi Erv,

Count me in on this one too. I enjoyed your last tab and I'm sure this one will be as rewarding. I played a gig with a band a while back that did this song. First time I ever heard it, but I sure liked it.

Thanks
Marlan
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 5:57 am    

Marlan,
I'll get that tab in the mail. I'm sure you'll enjoy playing it. Very Happy
Justin B. French

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2007 7:14 am    

Hi Erv, Please count me in for this one. I'm from Smiley's era and was a fan of both him and Gene. Thanks and God Bless. Justin Smile Smile